• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bushwheels to AirHawks on a 180.

SB... 3 in one day? dang... at least give it a couple hours for us to show some interest ;)

I wanted to watch the Pilgrim takeoff again on my bigger monitor instead on the ipad mini I used the first time. But it looks like it was deleted? I thought that was a great addition to the Pilgrim thread.

Stewart

I am interested in what you determine to be the advantage of the 29" bushwheels other than the obvious weight savings, if it really does reduce rocks through the prop as you suspect I may be induced to make the same move. Good week last week, managed 10 hours of flying in the 180 and a great trip the long way to Fairbanks via Rainy Pass. I for one appreciate your insight into the C-180 as it is still a relatively new animal to me. Thansk

Whenever you give the weight of the Airhawk, it doesn't do anybody any good, if you don't supply the tire ply number with it. There have been three diff ply ratings so far (maybe four), ranging from ten ply down to three...

4 ply shaved Air Hawks mounted with tubes on ABW 10" wheels- 49.8#. New 29" Bushwheels mounted on 6" Clevelands with two syringes of No-Tubes added- 39.8#.

Dale, I ran my original 29" Bushwheels for 10 years and had a pretty good idea of the rhythm of required prop filing through that time. I believe I had more damage with the Air Hawks. I've had discussions with several local guys who think the same is true. I operate on gravel and silt primarily so my conditions are different than guys who have sand/grass/D1, etc. I was just reporting my own thoughts. The bottom line is that I'm more comfortable on Bushwheels for my everyday needs. My 180 is back on Bushwheels.

I just was discussing this tire shape, rock throwing issue with a friend, who, was removing racing slicks and going to 31 Bushwheels. The racing slicks are soft, flat and wide...and they throw more rocks forward into the prop then anything I have ever witnessed. SB, you may be on to something with the tire profile/shape causing rock slinging...there also has to be some consideration made towards the landing/takeoff surface conditions...sticky mud with small rocks, sharp angular type rock that stick to rubber and on and on....

Nanook, another factor for the mental exercise, my 180 has lots of camber in the gear. I have access to a boom truck so that's how I lift it and it never fails to surprise me how bow-legged my plane is when off the ground, and also how much of that camber is maintained when I let it down until I taxi out. Put that into context of tires. Bushwheels' contact shape (round) will be the same regardless of camber. A squared tire will land on the "corner" and will then flatten out. Something that guys who fly cambered gear and Air hawks know about when landing on pavement. I thought about pointing a strut-mounted cam at my tires but it may be more educational to mount a camera on the tail looking forward to watch the main gear change position through landing and takeoff, and how if affects gravel and rock deflection. Or just switch tires and go fly, which was my choice.

Also of interest in this context http://www.faa.gov/other_visit/avia...afety/safo/all_safos/media/2010/SAFO10007.pdf

Last edited:
I have been following along with great interest because I was intrigued by a tire that was almost as soft as a bushwheel, but with greater longevity (meaning cheaper to operate since we all know how expensive BWs are). However, the advantages of bushwheels keeps me a loyal supporter.

Speaking of propeller damage, I agree with observation that propeller nicks are reduced with bushwheels. Of the tires I have had on the plane, the absolute worst tires were 8.50x6 followed by 26" Goodyears. Not only were propeller nicks reduced but that gravel spray from the tires that kick rocks into the fuselage and horizontal when landing is essentially eliminated. Rather than squirt rocks out from under the tires, the bushwheels seem to just roll over the gravel better.

I even love the way bushwheels feel when taxiing; almost like riding over a cushion of down pillows.

I'm glad to see there are other supporters out there.

Yea well the disadvantages of running Bushwheels, keeps me from having a gushy love affair with them... Watching the rubber disappear off your $4000 tires while operating on hard surface runways is a major flaw in my book... I'll keep my shaved 4ply 29X10s for those situations...

I realize it has been a couple of years but do you still have the ABW rims with 29 x 11 x 10 tires. I'm looking for a set for a T182 that we are planning to use around Lake Titicaca in Bolivia for medivac/mission/humanitarian work.

Thanks. We are still debating 29s, 26s or 8.50 x 6 on the mains. The smaller tires would be a little risky but are so much lighter and cheaper.....everything is a compromise.

Tis the season where any big tires are problematic. Frosty gravel sticks to tires and gets thrown over the top doing damage to the prop. Even with smooth Bushwheels. Dammit. Time to switch to 850s and wheel skis. C'mon, snow.

Tis the season where any big tires are problematic. Frosty gravel sticks to tires and gets thrown over the top doing damage to the prop. Even with smooth Bushwheels. Dammit. Time to switch to 850s and wheel skis. C'mon, snow.

Some snow would be nice but dang Im loving the weather! Every place I worked all summer long has been plain crap weather and no summer at all...Im loving Alaska winter right now!!8)

I've been finding plenty of snow this year. It's definitely spring conditions up there but good enough to ski.

scorgup-2339.jpg

Attachments

• scorgup-2339.jpg
    scorgup-2339.jpg
    430.3 KB · Views: 129
Cool. You using the go-fast plane and wheel skis?

a friend landed on the lake at his place not far north of Anchorage and reported 8 1/2" of smooth black ice. Also cool but I wouldn't want to go first. 😄

I'm glad somebody's having some fun. Seriously. I'm going stir crazy. The tweener season is bad enough but this one's dragging on far too long.

Last edited:
Back