Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Best place for PA-12/18 instruction?

Post Thanks / Like

Best place for PA-12/18 instruction?

Hello gang, a friend needs some help this Sept. Needs to get 15hrs. of dual in a 12 or 18, so he can get on his insurance policy for the single control Pa-12 he bought last spring. This guy works in Afganistan and will be in the USA for a short period this fall. His plane is in Alaska and has no rear controls... He needs a CFI with an airplane....this guy is helping with the war effort over there, so how about some help over here to get this guy lined out....needs wheel time only, he has a private with around 250TT... Somebody give this guy a good deal on a block of 15hrs..
    Last edited by nanook; 08-12-2012 at 11:09 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    This guy has a PA-12 with a 150hp, flaps, 31"bushwheels... He is looking for an intense 2-3 days of instruction 15hrs. Total. He is flying back to Alaska through the lower 48 and wants to get this done the first week of Sept. He can do this in the lower 48 or Alaska....willing to pay a reasonable price.... Anybody interested?

Post Thanks / Like
    It should be easy if he simply puts controls in the back seat. Offering dual instruction in an owned airplane has become very difficult from an insurance standpoint, but a lot of instructors are insured to work in others' airplanes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bob, this 12 was built with no rear anything. No brakes, no rudder pedals, no throttle, and no place to put a stick....

Post Thanks / Like
    Alan Kasemodel "Kase" in Billings Mt might be interested.

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    If you can pm me a contact number or email. I'll pass along by email to Afghanistan. He will contact them directly from there. We need to get something firm lined up in the next two weeks... Thanks for your help....

Post Thanks / Like
    He's going to need 25 hours solo and dual for his Ins Co----so---------------- he's likely going to have to fly a rental tail dragger that is insured for students after he gets his sign off for the remainder of the time. You can do that in a few days just doing pattern practicing three point and wheelies.
    Marine Corps Aviation since 1966

Post Thanks / Like
    Seaworthy, I think he has ten hours in a PA-18 and some Tcrate time. Needs 15 more has 250 TT....

Post Thanks / Like
    This is not unusual. Used to be the insurer wanted a checkout by a CFI. Now it is becoming 25 hours of dual!

The problem is - if you want to teach in your own airplane, multiply your liability premium by 5. Hull for a 25 K airplane was seven grand a number of years ago. We checked. Same premium for 50 hours a year or two thousand - you are a commercial operation.

Post Thanks / Like
    time can be had from the back seat...

as a private pilot, if you are 'sole manipulator of the controls' you can log the time as pic time.

a bunch of back seat time, then a check out should do the trick... Palmer has a couple of cubs they rent, and doesn't Torch instruct in FAI?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Let's keep this going, there has to be more options out there....

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Don Lee in Talkeetna. http://www.alaskafloats.com/ I Think he has a cub. He has a great cabin for people to stay and is a hoot to fly with.
    Denny

Post Thanks / Like
    Some insurers are specifying make and model. I just heard a horror story about a friend in a sppedboat - will post on the J-3 site. One has to have insurance to breathe, anymore.

Post Thanks / Like
    There appears to be a new niche market out there. You offer room and board along with some Alaska flying experience in some bush type plane... Is this growing out of the Fly Wild Alaska reality show stuff?

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.sunquestaviation.com/SunQ...iation%21.html Florida PA-18-105 at $105 hr. Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Chandler air service in Chandler AZ.
    http://www.aerobatics.com/tailwheel.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    If he connects through Minneapolis, he could try Stanton. http://www.stantonairfield.com/tailwheelinst.html Great people and nice plane.

Wayne

Post Thanks / Like
    I bet that is the answer.

On the room and board, Don Lee doesn't provide food, but he provides everything else. He is a pro - a really good guy. His airplanes are probably on floats now. That Stanton outfit is where I would head, and once you get the hang of it, have them call the insurer and knock the hours down. Several years ago they would do that - not sure about now, since everything is getting so much tighter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up going to Artic's Air Academy in Palmer. The people there were very good to work with, I would definitely recommend them.