• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Sump Repairs?

39-J3

FRIEND
Maine
While doing some maintenance on the cub this weekend I noticed two small cracks on the Oil sump. They are about one inch long and start under the flange on the front side of the tank. My question is should I find a serviceable oil sump or should I just have mine welded? The engine is a C85-8.

Bushwhacker is less than two weeks away so I might have to hitch a ride with JP if I am not up and running by then.

Thanks
Larry

It has not been welded or brazed it the area of the cracks. So it sounds like a good candidate for welding.

Thanks for the replies.
Larry

Larry you need to get it really clean, wash the whole sump in parts washer or gas and then use carb cleaner or starting fluid to flush the oil out of the crack then wash it again with soap and water. NOTE don't weld anywhere near where you did the cleaning if you like your shop.

Glenn

Glenn, I was able to get over to Bowman this weekend and remove the oil tank. I have it prepped for welding and it looks like it will be an easy fix. Do you know what the alloy make up is of the oil tank? I am going to TIG weld it and was going to use 309 filler rod.

Larry

Glenn, I was able to get over to Bowman this weekend and remove the oil tank. I have it prepped for welding and it looks like it will be an easy fix. Do you know what the alloy make up is of the oil tank? I am going to TIG weld it and was going to use 309 filler rod.

Larry

I used a coat hanger. :oops:

Glenn

The tank is cold rolled steel 1018. Use eaither 1018 rod or chrome- moly rod. Why would you use stainless rod on mild steel?

john

If you're going to TIG weld it then it has to be clean otherwise it will spit and sputter during the weld process and contaminate the weld

John

I have not struck an arc in several years so I have decided to send it out to be welded. Cheap insurance for peace of mind. I should be picking the tank up tonight.

Larry

Back