• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pa18 tank overhaul

Riley

SPONSOR
Western PA summer, daytona winter
Just got my fuel tanks back from F A Dodge after replacement of the fuel filler neck and general repair ( first class folks!), When i called aircraft spruce for fuel hose they told me the h6000 hose that was installed was not good for this purpose. Original hose was dated 1/90 and i had not had issue, I would prefer to do the right thing h6000 is available through other sources andI have some ordered. My IA basically stuck his fingers in his ears and walked in circles chanting la la la la etc. I think he was having a bad day.
The sections of hose are short really just a connection sleeve and maybe as much as a 45 degree turn between nipples.
Does the 303 hose fit over the nipples?
Is this the proper stuff?Is 13/32" the proper size for 3/8" nipples?
Single clamp sufficient?

Thanks for your help in advance!

Thanks Mike that's probably the right path, everyone here is a bit nervous of the fsdo as they have been handing out reprimand letters to the local mechanics for some I believe political reasons. I wish common sense were a more common thing here locally,

Riley, the hose you want to use in this application is Aeroquip 306, not 303. The 306 hose is the same compound as 303 but without wire reinforcement so it bends easily but doesn't kink readily. I have used it now for 4 years in N18SY and all is well.
I had to convince my IA also so here is a copy of the letter sent from Aeroquip approving 306 for this application. I also called the EAA tech representative and he too recommended Aeroquip 306. Click on the picture of the letter to zoom in.
Aeooquip approval for 306 as fuel line plus DNS note.jpg
Hose Rubber Immersion Tests.jpg

Attachments

• Aeooquip approval for 306 as fuel line plus DNS note.jpg
    Aeooquip approval for 306 as fuel line plus DNS note.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 153
  • Hose Rubber Immersion Tests.jpg
    Hose Rubber Immersion Tests.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 123
Does 306 hose have a relatively short service life? A local I/A told me he wouldn't put it anywhere that doesn't have easy access because it gets hard and brittle long before the fabric would need to be replaced. Is that accurate?

I was thinking 306 would be as good as Aluminum tubing throughout the system. While 306 may weigh a little more per foot, I didn't think the added weight difference was a significant factor since there isn't that much fuel line in the whole plane. Am I wrong?

I was thinking 306 would be as good as Aluminum tubing throughout the system. While 306 may weigh a little more per foot, I didn't think the added weight difference was a significant factor since there isn't that much fuel line in the whole plane. Am I wrong?

i bet it would be POUNDS more... bad idea...

I switch everything to 666 Teflon hose, nothing bothers it, I burn alot of auto gas including 10% ethanol for the past 400 hrs. I don't trust H6000 anymore, if you going to use H6000 cut off a 3" section an put it in a jar of auto gas and check it every couple months and see if you got a good batch.

Glenn

Make sure you wash out the tanks to be certain nothing was left behind during the repairs.

Back