• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Original Piper Data Tags From The 1940's

Here is the original Data plate from our 1950 Super Cub, 18-387. I had lost this one, went through the FAA and Piper to get a new one then found the old one. It originally was hung on a couple of pieces of welding rod back by the jack screw. The new one is screwed to the floorboard.
P1010414cropped.jpg
Original Data Plate Location on Airframe.jpg

Attachments

• P1010414cropped.jpg
    P1010414cropped.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 1,402
  • Original Data Plate Location on Airframe.jpg
    Original Data Plate Location on Airframe.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 786
Yes that is the one as shown on e-vay, the Lock Haven print type looks just off a little in terms of font size, just a tad large-- hard to describe it. , but that could be the way my camera took the picture as compared to the e-vay picture.
My tag id from a Feb 7,1947 PA-12,
I know this plane and its history,
That said , as of Feb7, 1947 on the PA-12's this is what the plate should look like . As for later dates and other models of the cub, I have know idea and will not enter into that swamp.

The regulations about what info has to be shown on the data plate has changed over the years as has the material requirements, so there are at least3 or 4 versions of Piper data plates.

Should you follow FAA guidance about replacement data plates and ask Piper Aircraft Inc. for a replacement, the data plate you get from them will be WRONG! It will identify your aircraft as having been built by Piper Aircraft Inc. in Florida rather than Piper Aircraft Corp. In Lock Haven PA. It will show the Production Certificate for the FL facility, not the PC number for Lock Haven. In short it will show the wrong manufacturer, the wrong location, the wrong Production Certificate number, and depending on when it was built, may be missing required data (engine model).

For what ever reason FAA has the entire data plate thing so screwed up its ridicules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When did the PC field appear on data tags? My original authentic '46 J-3 tag does not list PC.

George

If this worked, there should be a pdf file with the regulatory history of data plate requirements from 1926 to present

Attachments

• data plate history.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 361
All you need is a friendly Fed who will authorize you to make the plate. Then have Clyde stamp the Wag plate, and keep that letter in the aircraft permanent records. Done.

I know this is an old thread. Just one question about Darrel picture of his data plate. Why is MFG. Date blank ? Anyone else have the same ?

Depending on model, the data plate was mounted to the diagonal tube under the trim jack screw. It gets installed prior to fabric cover, so the actual date is unknown when installed, and no way to stamp it after installation. The date wasn’t a required field after 1945 or 46.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back