• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-18-95 Questions/Upgrades

Thank you will have it checked out - typically how warm would you expect the cabin in winter? Am guessing the rear passenger gets hardly any heat.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

How warm in winter - depends on engine power/exhaust temperature, outside air temp, aircraft speed, heater integrity meeting mfg specs, cockpit leaks especially around the doors and windows and from the fuselage rear, and plumbing to and integrity of the cabin heat valve box. I could fly my similar PA-11 with C-90 down to -20*F but I also had some additional heater modifications for a defroster. The heater/muffler/airbox assembly has to be as leak free as possible. It's possible to have a rear seat heater hose installed as part of the intake box...Atlee Dodge or UNIVAIR sell these things: http://www.fadodge.com

I'd have a good inspection done and as noted install a carbon monoxide detector as a check for any exhaust leakage.

Gary

It might help the PA-18-95 heater discussion if we had some pictures of the parts and air ducting to view. I no longer have my PA-11 to look at.

Gary

First place I would check if flow has slowed is that short piece of scat that connects the muffler bottom outlet with the heat box on the firewall. It's on a weird angle and if it kinks it will restrick the flow of fall off.

Glenn

My 95 never lacks for heat, if anything it is beyond what I need for winter flying in North Idaho. The muffler/shroud setup seems designed for max performance, suggest you disassemble & fully inspect for any anamolies. No way I could open the heater vent beyond half without cooking my feet & legs.

When we flew the 90 hp Super Cub to Alaska it was 20 degrees through Canada. Tal was hot and I was frozen in the back seat.

Hot in the front and cold in the back. Standing around a wood stove at -50F or riding in the back of a Cub the same. Lots of cold and CO comes from the tail of the plane on Cubs. Block the rear baggage and under seat off with a curtain and plug any fuselage openings by the tail spring. Install a heater splitter with a rear seat hot air hose.

Gary

I have a J-3 converted to Pa-11 configuration. C-90 with big tail. It also has flaps. The flaps are of little value on takeoff except to pop them and promptly dump them to break ground. There is not enough power to overcome the additional drag on takeoff the way they are used on a higher horsepower cub. On landing however it will fly slow It is the slowest cub I have ever flown. If one is prospecting strips, the flaps are worth their weight many times over and are very beneficial for short landings. This cub gets off very short but doesn’t haul the weight, climb as steeply or preform as well at altitude. It’s take off and landing distances are as good as a higher horsepower cub. I find it to be a wonderful airplane and I expect that ultimately I will keep it when I sell my 18. Stu

Good info thank you - will post photos when I take it for some investigation next week.

On heat above 2400 RPM my yellow arc starts at 2350 RPM using a metal Sensenich M76AK-2.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

What I used to do Glenn was take a single piece of scatt hose directly off the cabin heat inlet and take the other end of the hose and put it under my parka or blow it on my neck or put it up my pants leg. Biggest problem when it very cold is cabin leakage and trying to heat a cabin as large as a cub Stu

Did these -95 originally come with electric starter, alternators etc?

From the factory? I’m asking because I don’t understand when guys say “keep them light with out in any mods”. if they’re also referring to the electric starter and generator or all the other mods? I’m curious how they fly with the electric starter generator etc. thx!

From the factory? I’m asking because I don’t understand when guys say “keep them light with out in any mods”. if they’re also referring to the electric starter and generator or all the other mods? I’m curious how they fly with the electric starter generator etc. thx!

they fly fine with a starter and gen, just the more you add the less they want to fly, and the lighter they are the better they fly, all depends where you want to be in there. i told my son hold a bowling ball and a baseball out in front of you and see which one goes down first. pay attention to gross weight, theres a reason for that. want to add i have a 95, bymyself its a blast, its 925 empty, add another person, its another deal, but still flys great, but the nimbleness is gone.

Last edited:
My Pa11 was 790lbs. Most of my evening flights I took off with 5 gallons of gas or less. The J3 even less. If you get used to flying light you can feel every gallon/lb you add. The E2 Cub at 554lbs was my best ride of them all. Weight is a performance killer on anything but even more so with the smaller engines

Glenn

Back