• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fuel Line Flarings

Binty

South Island, New Zealand
Im curious to know if the original fittings to the Fuel valve selector have a special flaring? Im looking at replacing some of my lines and the flaring tool we are using makes a flare which 'Looks' to be a slightly different profile to that of the removed line.

I realise there will be a certain amount of shape change when the fitting is done up tight and pulls up but just want to check if Piper had an unusual flare angle?

BTW, the way its a modern Aviation flareing tool- not a cheap auto shop one.

I used a standard RIGID brand flaring tool and it worked fine.

You want the auto store version flair tool for the original inverted flar used at fuel valve, it's 45 deg... Its a Weather head brand fitting Napa caries the parts......

Im curious to know if the original fittings to the Fuel valve selector have a special flaring? Im looking at replacing some of my lines and the flaring tool we are using makes a flare which 'Looks' to be a slightly different profile to that of the removed line.

I realise there will be a certain amount of shape change when the fitting is done up tight and pulls up but just want to check if Piper had an unusual flare angle?

I suspect you are flaring a single flare 45dg and it's supposed to be a double flare. Your run of the mill flaring tool will not double flare. The correct tool will roll the tubing inward first and then the second step will flare it. This of course is assuming you are working with inverted flare. As stated above the AN fittings are 37dg flare and inverted is 45dg double flare. If you need any more info then PM me and I will do my best to help. This is what I do for a living.

I am with Mike. Piper was smart enough to use standard automotive and tractor parts in the beginning. Simpler was better back then. Same for brakes. You can now change to expensive and heavy aircraft stuff using AC 23-27. It is a minor mod. Doesn't make it any better.

The aluminum AN fittings are lighter and in most cases less expensive than the brass Weatherhead fittings. The copper brake lines are heavier than aluminum and the special hoses you have to buy from Univair are way expensive.

All true, but that piece of Aeroquip adds more than enough to offset the weight savings. Some use a piece of Aeroquip from master all the way to the brake assembly. The theory is fewer couplings to wiggle loose and cause problems.

I see nothing wrong with the aircraft stuff. Aluminum line doesn't seem to harden with vibration.

Has anyone tried using flare gaskets with 45 degree inverted flares? My fuel lines are leaking at the selector valve. I loosened and jiggled the tube and tightened and for now it is sealed but it will leak again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m wondering if anyone has switched to the plastic brake lines like Vans uses. I’d like to try it, but not sure what tubing and fittings they use. I think it would be lighter than AN fittings, Aeroquip hoses, and aluminum lines. I’m putting dual brakes in the Clipper, so double the Aeroquip lines. The plastic poly flow (or whatever tubing) and fittings would be a lot easier as well.

For my fuel system, I’m switching to AN fittings, aluminum is a lot lighter than the brass Weatherhead fittings. I’ll have a hybrid system, still keeping the 12 gallon nose tank, but a Dakota Cub 23 gallon left tank with SuperCub wing root gage.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

15 years ago when I didn't know any better I did my fuel lines with Alum versatube and AN fittings. All flairs on tubing were 45*. Never leaked all this time

Glenn

I’m wondering if anyone has switched to the plastic brake lines like Vans uses. I’d like to try it, but not sure what tubing and fittings they use. I think it would be lighter than AN fittings, Aeroquip hoses, and aluminum lines. I’m putting dual brakes in the Clipper, so double the Aeroquip lines. The plastic poly flow (or whatever tubing) and fittings would be a lot easier as well.

For my fuel system, I’m switching to AN fittings, aluminum is a lot lighter than the brass Weatherhead fittings. I’ll have a hybrid system, still keeping the 12 gallon nose tank, but a Dakota Cub 23 gallon left tank with SuperCub wing root gage.

I've used them for brakes in several Experimentals. Use Nylaflow lines with Polyflow brass fittings. 1/4" lines tend to expand under pressure, so you lose a lot of your brake pressure to the lines expanding. Use either 3/16" or 1/8" Nylaflow lines. Most newer kits are now recommending 1/8" lines. The nylaflow lines I installed in the first plane I built are still there and still hold pressure after 25 years. One caution is to not use them inside wheel fairings where they might be exposed to brake heat as they will soften and burst under pressure when hot.

-Cub Builder

I've used them for brakes in several Experimentals. Use Nylaflow lines with Polyflow brass fittings. 1/4" lines tend to expand under pressure, so you lose a lot of your brake pressure to the lines expanding. Use either 3/16" or 1/8" Nylaflow lines. Most newer kits are now recommending 1/8" lines. The nylaflow lines I installed in the first plane I built are still there and still hold pressure after 25 years. One caution is to not use them inside wheel fairings where they might be exposed to brake heat as they will soften and burst under pressure when hot.

-Cub Builder

Thanks, just what I needed.

Sure. Doing **** wrong on an airplane usually works out, right? Have at it. I had the chance to buy the right thing or wrong thing. Easy decision.

Sometimes poor workmanship rears it’s ugly head early. Huh, why is there fuel leaking from the gear attach point?…..why is the inside fabric soaked in gas?. Didn’t take long for these awesome flares to seep after a supposed rebuild. plane already had 15 hrs. Needless to say everything got redone.

Attachments

• A5EC921E-E02E-4E5D-838A-244B6BF95C39.jpeg
    A5EC921E-E02E-4E5D-838A-244B6BF95C39.jpeg
    127.2 KB · Views: 74
  • B4E32955-DBD6-4D91-AB37-D5D176757187.jpeg
    B4E32955-DBD6-4D91-AB37-D5D176757187.jpeg
    203.7 KB · Views: 91
  • 982670D0-1467-4B33-88FF-CA801F50E33F.jpeg
    982670D0-1467-4B33-88FF-CA801F50E33F.jpeg
    140.2 KB · Views: 81
  • 30C1BC5F-0979-4150-BF9A-4479CCECD789.jpeg
    30C1BC5F-0979-4150-BF9A-4479CCECD789.jpeg
    198.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 23CBE6CA-0FAF-4C65-AEDD-EEB109D81913.jpeg
    23CBE6CA-0FAF-4C65-AEDD-EEB109D81913.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 81

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/AER-FBM1101

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/AER-FCC0420

Back