Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: My days in the front seat are numbered!

Post Thanks / Like

My days in the front seat are numbered!

The boy is doing the flying now!

Rene
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340036180.906854.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	83.7 KB 
ID:	7340  

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, you tell him to get a job and buy his own darn airplane. LOL
    It is fun teaching them to fly and then letting them fly....but that only lasts for a short time and you realize you are buying all the gas only to sit and let them have all the fun. JK of course...it is great to see our kids take up something that is our passion and dream.
    Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Followed by the eMail 'father, er what plane are you taking to the fly-in?'

Post Thanks / Like
    Good on you Rene, it takes a big man to give up the front seat but you and your kid will both learn new things. Whats his .org handle going to be.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like he is staring at the instruments. Perhaps a bit more back seat time would change his habits ....

Post Thanks / Like
    He's got good experience in the back getting us a couple hundred miles with nothing more than a sectional more than once. He might have been looking at this point, but don't think he was fixed on the panel or any one instrument. He flew 2.25 hours through some pretty congested airspace near New York city, I didn't have to get on the controls until final. He used the GPS for the airspace stuff but I made him fly the VOR's and point them out on the ground. At 12 years old he's got a few years to perfect the finer points, but is within PTS on steep turns and turns on a point from the back seat. He's a bit short to be critical of the landings but those will fall into place real nice over time. Can't push too much on him just yet. Right now it's all about having fun!

Rene
    Last edited by SC3CM; 06-18-2012 at 04:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hiya Rene -

Next to honor, integrity, and following the Golden Rule; I can't think of ennything more important or wonderful to pass on to your child than the love of flight.

These will be treasured memories for both of you for life, and hopefully your child will pass them on to your grandchildren.

Sa-a-a-a-LUTE!

CloudDancer
    A SUPERIOR pilot, uses his or her SUPERIOR judgement, to stay out of situations which may require the use of their SUPERIOR skills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool Cody!

It only gets expensive from here unless Dad gets his CFII
    John
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm so proud I can't even stand it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have CFI, Will travel!

Make sure you instill good habits on pre-flight now, and teach him what parts cost so he respects the aircraft!

George
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OnTop View Post
    I'm so proud I can't even stand it!
    How proud, you got pictures ?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Goood grief Glenn... Have you not had your coffee yet? ... So proud... the boy has caught the "bug"and is taking to it like a duck to water.

When he gets his license he'll be 4th generation...

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations! Taking the years to teach my son ala Richard Bach's School of Perfection was one of the highlights of my aviation career. And we are still the best of friends!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SC3CM View Post
    He's got good experience in the back getting us a couple hundred miles with nothing more than a sectional more than once. He might have been looking at this point, but don't think he was fixed on the panel or any one instrument. He flew 2.25 hours through some pretty congested airspace near New York city, I didn't have to get on the controls until final. He used the GPS for the airspace stuff but I made him fly the VOR's and point them out on the ground. At 12 years old he's got a few years to perfect the finer points, but is within PTS on steep turns and turns on a point from the back seat. He's a bit short to be critical of the landings but those will fall into place real nice over time. Can't push too much on him just yet. Right now it's all about having fun!

Rene
    That is so awesome Rene!! Any day that your kids want to spend with you doing what you all love is a great day.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like
    It will require more thorough preflights when you go to the hangar to fly and you were sure you topped off when you put her away!!!!!
    Never stay level!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Obviously he has a good trainer. Well done Rene....to both of you!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm, good pre-flight point Rick.

Thx Bushcaddy

Post Thanks / Like
    Today PA-12's Tomorrow F-18's!
    Marine Corps Aviation since 1966

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonderful!! Congratulations for leading in the right direction!!
    I have experienced that thrill. Daughter is now a Captain on one of the largest airlines. Has about 1000 hours in taildraggers (including about 200 in a PA-22/20) as well as A&P/IA, a husband also a Captain and 2 sons.
    Your boy surely choise his father correctly!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Watched Cody for days at an adult situation fly in. He was great without other folks his age to enjoy his days with. I never saw an electronic device come out even though I know he has them as he went through booths and swam in the river with the geriatric bunch. He went to a seminar that put myself and and his father to sleep and he never uttered a word. He enjoyed the time with his Father who was more than willing to share his passion with his son. They went and beat down some grass at Jersey Shore together.

Cody never whined or complained for the entire time so how do you expect him to be a Pilot! It may not be in the cards unless we get him some intense selfish training
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"

Post Thanks / Like
    Cody never whined or complained for the entire time so how do you expect him to be a Pilot! It may not be in the cards unless we get him some intense selfish training
    Jeezus John, don't know about the selfish, but the bitching, moaning and whining sounds accurate. There is certainly just a mere brush of entitlement with being able to do what 98% of the population can't do: FLY! Perhaps if Cody hangs around this tough crowd long enough it will rub off. He certainly demonstrates patience, which will keep you out of trouble in an airplane.

I feel real bad about not making it,(not being able to give Tim the pin for 72 hours) but I just can't deal with intense heat any longer. If I had made a hotel res and spent evenings in A/C I could have hacked it. Hindsight is a beautiful thing. Will make Oshkosh alive or dead.

TC
    Marine Corps Aviation since 1966

Post Thanks / Like
    Tom, we may have the entitlement covered as the kids have flown with us since they were toddlers (talk about challenging!). They now hop in a plane like they're hopping into a car.

My favorite quote from Cody (when he was 5, and no more than 30 seconds into our departure from OSH) "when can we go back?"

If anyone has pics of SJ or OH... would you please send to my email? The more the merrier - I'd like to surprise Cody with an album. Hrobiah@gmail.com

Thanks!!!
    Heather

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Here's the video proof my days are numbered... We went out one morning when we were at SJ, he got a bit of 'slow' flight in then we went into Jersey Shore (P96) for some landings. He's doing all the flying!!! I screwed up on the edit though, so the last landing is a repeat. Oops, oh well.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's great! Well besides that you wont get to fly as much.