Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Chronicles Artifacts Discovered on East Ramp in FAI

Post Thanks / Like

Chronicles Artifacts Discovered on East Ramp in FAI

Hey EverBODY -

Meet the notorious "Dameon Rhodes" from chapters 6 & 7 of "It's DejaVu All Over Again..." in the original CloudDancer's Alaskan Chronicles. This is the guy that rescued me 'n my pax offa' that gravel bar just south of his hometown in Ambler! That's his Cherokee Six behind him in the Arctic Aviation maintainance hangar gettin' a 100 hour.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	photo (26).JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	137.7 KB 
ID:	6899  
    A SUPERIOR pilot, uses his or her SUPERIOR judgement, to stay out of situations which may require the use of their SUPERIOR skills.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to tell which artifact looks more wore out today, "Dameon" or what's left of what, at the time (35 years ago), wuz a brand new Cessna 185. Found what's left of HER on the East ramp at Fairbanks International too.

'Course BOTH were alot younger then. And "Dameon" shaved on a regular basis back in those dayz....

Name:	photo (46).JPG 
Views:	125 
Size:	127.1 KB 
ID:	6901  
    A SUPERIOR pilot, uses his or her SUPERIOR judgement, to stay out of situations which may require the use of their SUPERIOR skills.

Post Thanks / Like
    And then I stumbled across this liddle jewel.

What's interesting about this all beat-all-to-hell-an'-gone airsheen is it covers two periods of my younger CloudDancer days. My Arctic Circle Air days (if you can make out the company name...and that is the official Arctic Circle Air logo on the vertical stab/rudder)

But it is also a modified (with turbine) BN2-A Islander from my Munz Northern Airlines days. The airsheen from "Chains and Padlocks" in Vol. III, The Tragedies. I am trying to find out whether this was a former Munz Northern airframe before the conversion.

Name:	photo (47).JPG 
Views:	124 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	6902  

Post Thanks / Like
    Alot of emotions colliding inside me this day.

Probably a good time to find an A.A. meeting for me today.... Also a good day for me to remember how much all of you mean to me. And that everything happens for a reason. I love you guys....

CloudDancer

Post Thanks / Like
    One more. That's Fred Distad on the left. Owner/operator/head wrench/chief-cook-'n-bottle-washer at Arctic Aviation on the East Ramp at Fairbanks International. About a hunnert years ago, when Fred and I wuz BOTH younger 'n skinner, he wrenched on my Bandierantes at Arctic Circle Air on the other side of the airdrome. Damn fine fella. Damn good Mr. Fixit too!

"Dameon Rhodes" on the right again, and yer' humble scribe in the middle.

Hmmmmm. "Clowns to the left of me...jokers to the right. Here I AM stuck in the middle with you...." (Stealers Wheel 1972)

Name:	photo (24).JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	6903  

Post Thanks / Like
    Man! It's like Old Home week here on the East Ramp. Went back for another cruise-around and can ya' believe I ran into SuperCub.org's very own Mit Greb!

Now over the years I did see Mit in various hangars all covered in grease and grime, an' he's always claimed to be an F.A.A. certified mechanic. Sez he went to school for it an' everthing. Caught up with him trying to earn a liddle extra dough over the weekend doin' sum freelance wrenchin' here 'n there. The part that CONFUSES me iz...the guy just asked Mit to put in a new set a' plugs and file a couple of nicks outta' the prop.

Go figger....

Name:	photo (51).JPG 
Views:	137 
Size:	133.9 KB 
ID:	6904  

Post Thanks / Like
    Actually Cloudy flew that Cub in with out wings! He had, duct taped a five gallon can to the sky light plumbed into the fuel system. Which just goes to show, what a bush pilot can accomplish; when they need to get to town! Just power, elevator and rudder! and of Course SUPERIOR SKILLS!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudDancer View Post
    One more. That's Fred Distad on the left. Owner/operator/head wrench/chief-cook-'n-bottle-washer at Arctic Aviation on the East Ramp at Fairbanks International. About a hunnert years ago, when Fred and I wuz BOTH younger 'n skinner, he wrenched on my Bandierantes at Arctic Circle Air on the other side of the airdrome. Damn fine fella. Damn good Mr. Fixit too!

"Dameon Rhodes" on the right again, and yer' humble scribe in the middle.

Hmmmmm. "Clowns to the left of me...jokers to the right. Here I AM stuck in the middle with you...." (Stealers Wheel 1972)

I'm sure I saw pictures of those three guys some where? I remember now, it was in the Post Office!!!
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    shucks,

and I thought you were going to be showing pictures of old McDonalds stores...

is it true you have more friends now that you wear a sack?

Ever wonder just how many hours you can put on a cessna?
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    aktango58 sez -
    is it true you have more friends now that you wear a sack?

Not only that...but it makes it harder for people I owe money to or mistakenly think I may have somehow been involved with their daughter/mother/sister/Aunt Emma to recognize me in the grocery store.

Cloud(notme!)Dancer

Post Thanks / Like
    Talk about yer' ANTIQUITIES! Lookee here what I get to go flyin' in tonight under the midnite sun! Whatta' way to end my Fairbanks trip!

Can you guess this airsheen?

Cloud(makin'asplash)Dancer

Name:	photo (54).JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	6908  

Post Thanks / Like
    You getting lucky enough to spend a night a beaver...

who'd a thunk?

Post Thanks / Like
    Howard

John Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Egads!

Need to look closer... good catch

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't be too hard on yersef there aktango58. You think CloudDancer...it's only natural to think of the 3 Bs that usually accompany it. Bacardi, Blackjack and...Beavers!

CloudDancer

Post Thanks / Like
    I stopped in to spend $ and say Hi to Vicki at Tamarack and your books where laying on the counter...
    she said you were just in. Must have just missed you.

Vicki said something about you and her and taking her picture. Where is it..?
    "...We're fast enough to get there, But slow enough to see..."
    Fron the song "Barometer Soup". By Jimmy Buffett

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudDancer View Post
    Don't be too hard on yersef there aktango58. You think CloudDancer...it's only natural to think of the 3 Bs that usually accompany it. Bacardi, Blackjack and...Beavers!

CloudDancer
    I was thinking Beavers, books and buddies!

Looks like you escaped out the back just in time. Wish I had time to cruise FAI right now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Ruffair sez -
    Vicki said something about you and her and taking her picture. Where is it..?

See thread "Children Should be SEEN and Not Heard" in Cafe Supercub Ruff.

CD