• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Chronicles Artifacts Discovered on East Ramp in FAI

CloudDancer

L. Ronstadt - J. Ingram Duet
Hey EverBODY -:howdy

Meet the notorious "Dameon Rhodes" from chapters 6 & 7 of "It's DejaVu All Over Again..." in the original CloudDancer's Alaskan Chronicles. This is the guy that rescued me 'n my pax offa' that gravel bar just south of his hometown in Ambler! That's his Cherokee Six behind him in the Arctic Aviation maintainance hangar gettin' a 100 hour.

Attachments

• photo (26).JPG
    photo (26).JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 275
Hard to tell which artifact looks more wore out today, "Dameon" or what's left of what, at the time (35 years ago), wuz a brand new Cessna 185. Found what's left of HER on the East ramp at Fairbanks International too.

'Course BOTH were alot younger then. And "Dameon" shaved on a regular basis back in those dayz....

Attachments

• photo (46).JPG
    photo (46).JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 230
And then I stumbled across this liddle jewel.

What's interesting about this all beat-all-to-hell-an'-gone airsheen is it covers two periods of my younger CloudDancer days. My Arctic Circle Air days (if you can make out the company name...and that is the official Arctic Circle Air logo on the vertical stab/rudder)

But it is also a modified (with turbine) BN2-A Islander from my Munz Northern Airlines days. The airsheen from "Chains and Padlocks" in Vol. III, The Tragedies. I am trying to find out whether this was a former Munz Northern airframe before the conversion.

Attachments

• photo (47).JPG
    photo (47).JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 221
Alot of emotions colliding inside me this day.

Probably a good time to find an A.A. meeting for me today.... Also a good day for me to remember how much all of you mean to me. And that everything happens for a reason. I love you guys....

CloudDancer:anon

One more. That's Fred Distad on the left. Owner/operator/head wrench/chief-cook-'n-bottle-washer at Arctic Aviation on the East Ramp at Fairbanks International. About a hunnert years ago, when Fred and I wuz BOTH younger 'n skinner, he wrenched on my Bandierantes at Arctic Circle Air on the other side of the airdrome. Damn fine fella. Damn good Mr. Fixit too!

"Dameon Rhodes" on the right again, and yer' humble scribe in the middle.

Hmmmmm. "Clowns to the left of me...jokers to the right. Here I AM stuck in the middle with you...." (Stealers Wheel 1972)

Attachments

• photo (24).JPG
    photo (24).JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 275
Man! It's like Old Home week here on the East Ramp. Went back for another cruise-around and can ya' believe I ran into SuperCub.org's very own Mit Greb!

Now over the years I did see Mit in various hangars all covered in grease and grime, an' he's always claimed to be an F.A.A. certified mechanic. Sez he went to school for it an' everthing. Caught up with him trying to earn a liddle extra dough over the weekend doin' sum freelance wrenchin' here 'n there. The part that CONFUSES me iz...the guy just asked Mit to put in a new set a' plugs and file a couple of nicks outta' the prop.

Go figger....

Attachments

• photo (51).JPG
    photo (51).JPG
    133.9 KB · Views: 255
Actually Cloudy:anon flew that Cub in with out wings! He had, duct taped a five gallon can to the sky light :yikez:plumbed into the fuel system. Which just goes to show, what a bush pilot can accomplish; when they need to get to town!:onfire: Just power, elevator and rudder! and of Course SUPERIOR SKILLS!:lol:

One more. That's Fred Distad on the left. Owner/operator/head wrench/chief-cook-'n-bottle-washer at Arctic Aviation on the East Ramp at Fairbanks International. About a hunnert years ago, when Fred and I wuz BOTH younger 'n skinner, he wrenched on my Bandierantes at Arctic Circle Air on the other side of the airdrome. Damn fine fella. Damn good Mr. Fixit too!

"Dameon Rhodes" on the right again, and yer' humble scribe in the middle.

Hmmmmm. "Clowns to the left of me...jokers to the right. Here I AM stuck in the middle with you...." (Stealers Wheel 1972)

I'm sure I saw pictures of those three guys some where?:idea: I remember now, it was in the Post Office!!!:crazyeyes:

shucks,

and I thought you were going to be showing pictures of old McDonalds stores...:oops:

is it true you have more friends now that you wear a sack?:lol::lol:

Ever wonder just how many hours you can put on a cessna?:eek:

aktango58 sez -
is it true you have more friends now that you wear a sack?:lol::lol:

Not only that...but it makes it harder for people I owe money to or mistakenly think I may have somehow been involved with their daughter/mother/sister/Aunt Emma to recognize me in the grocery store.:peeper

Cloud(notme!)Dancer:anon

Talk about yer' ANTIQUITIES! Lookee here what I get to go flyin' in tonight under the midnite sun! Whatta' way to end my Fairbanks trip!

Can you guess this airsheen?

Cloud(makin'asplash)Dancer:anon

Attachments

• photo (54).JPG
    photo (54).JPG
    138 KB · Views: 194
Don't be too hard on yersef there aktango58. You think CloudDancer...it's only natural to think of the 3 Bs that usually accompany it. Bacardi, Blackjack and...Beavers!

I stopped in to spend $ and say Hi to Vicki at Tamarack and your books where laying on the counter...
she said you were just in. Must have just missed you.

Vicki said something about you and her and taking her picture. Where is it..?

Don't be too hard on yersef there aktango58. You think CloudDancer...it's only natural to think of the 3 Bs that usually accompany it. Bacardi, Blackjack and...Beavers!

I was thinking Beavers, books and buddies!

Looks like you escaped out the back just in time. Wish I had time to cruise FAI right now!

Ruffair sez -
Vicki said something about you and her and taking her picture. Where is it..?

See thread "Children Should be SEEN and Not Heard" in Cafe Supercub Ruff.

CD:howdy

Back