Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Value of a PA-18 125

Post Thanks / Like

Value of a PA-18 125

I'm in the middle of tryin to settle an insurance claim on a super cub that was totalled in a windstorm a while back and want some of your advice. The insurance company that I'm dealing with didn't insure the plane, they insured the municipal airport where the damage occurred. The plane was tied up on the ramp and flipped onto its back when a D-ring broke, therefore the city is liable for the damage. Anyway, it is a 1952 super cub with a 0 time O-290, new fabric in 1998, little over 5000 TTAF. The insurance company said that the plane has abook value of $41,500, but they say actual value is about $65,000. The offer that they've made us is $45,000 and we can keep the motor, or $37,500 and we can keep the wreck also. I realize that the O-290 is somewhat obsolete, but we'd like to keep it anyway and find another lightweight cub to put it on. So do you think that $20,000 is a fair value for a freshly overhauled O-290? I know some people are going to say "forget about the motor, take the $65,000 and go buy a 150 super cub", but I have no need for a 1150# plane, I just want a lightweight, relatively economical super cub. You guys are a lot more knowledgeable than me, so tell me what you think.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds to me like a fair offer. Surely you could get it flying with brand new Stits or Stewarts fabric for well under 37. Use hte rest for avgas.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think a fresh O290 is worth anywhere close to 20K. Few people even attempt to major them anymore. The Guys with older AB w/O290's almost always go O320 anymore when confronted with overhaul....

Therefore, I'd jump on the 65K....OTOH if you can really use the O290, maybe it's a wash. It may be worth more to yo considering the value of a like O320 but I do feel it would be hard to sell one for that much. Relative low time 290's taken from say a PA22 for upgrade only seem to fetch $4500 or so(which is my kind of deal).

Post Thanks / Like
    There is only about a 15 to maybe 20 lb total weight difference between a 290 and 320 cub if similarly equipped. The lighter AM series Sensenich prop and smaller MA3 carb along with about 2-3 lbs of raw engine weight and maybe 4-5 lbs airframe weight is all that is different. I would take every penny you can get and go buy a 150 cub and strip it down to the bare essentials even if it did weigh 100 lbs more than your 125 cub it's a better investment in the long run.

Jason