• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oil Line Help!

Big Ben

Ripon CA
I have my Cub down for annual and I decided to replace the oil line that runs from the back of the engine (O-320) to a hard line that eventually goes to the oil pressure gauge. It is a female/male line measuring 9" from end of fitting to end of fitting, and 6 3/4 of visible rubber hose. Aircraft spruce has one
1. PIPER OIL PRESSURE HOSE
Piper Oil Pressure Hose
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/piperoilpresshose.php - 0.3kb

[SIZE=-2]05-07360[/SIZE][SIZE=-2]PIPER OIL FLX HOSE U71061-000[/SIZE]
but when I call them they said it is 6 3/4" long (could that be the rubber length measurement?). The Piper dealer wants over $300 and really does not want to order it. I have tried Sacramento Sky Ranch, but they cannot make a female/male hose.

Can anyone confirm that this line is correct or provide me a better source for this hose? Weather is good and I want to fly, not scramble for hoses.

Thanks, Ben

Univair is where Spruce gets it. http://univairparts.com/shopping/ad...000&categories_id=&inc_subcat=1&Submit=Search
If yours is like the one pictured and not crimped you can replace just the hose itself using the existing fittings. Use Aeroquip 306-4 or Stratoflex 193-4 (Mil-H-5593. I just measured one and it was 6 3/4" over all length, not just the rubber hose. I find these hoses cracked in only a few years and replace the rubber hose only.

Steve, Thanks for the great advice and direction. Hope to be done with this annual this week. Broke off an intake bolt and had to pull the cylinder to get it out.

Thanks again, Ben

PS. My flying buddy used to be on here "Sam Beckett" he says your a great guy and sends his regards.

I never understood the purpose of the hose and the pipe. When I replaced my hose at the last annual I eliminated the pipe and used hose from the engine to the firewall. Seems cleaner to me. 832 bulkhead fittings are next for oil pressure and primer lines. Jim

Not just a plain old plane hose...

I never understood the purpose of the hose and the pipe. When I replaced my hose at the last annual I eliminated the pipe and used hose from the engine to the firewall. Seems cleaner to me. 832 bulkhead fittings are next for oil pressure and primer lines. Jim

You should not replace this with a plane old chunk of 303 hose, you must use the Piper specified part U71061-000. There is a reducer in that hose assembly, right near the engine end, so if the oil line or gauge should fail you will have some time to pick your landing spot.
I just replaced mine as I discovered the hose on my PA22 was a cobbled up part without the reducer. My friend had a similar non-compliant part in his Tri-Pacer, it failed in flight on the last leg of a trip from Ohio to Oregon, including night flight over unfriendly terrain. He made a precautionary landing when he saw oil streaming over the windshield. He had one quart left in the sump.
This of course was following a thorough pre-purchase inspection from a real live A&P, who missed it, as three A&P's have missed it on my PA22.
Call Univair, spend the $115 for the FAA/PMA U71061-000 hose assy. With the restrictor, you get a lot longer to pour out the oil before the engine seizes.
And your insurance is not valid if the adjuster learns the plane was not airworthy...

Another way to safely plumb this gauge line is to screw one of these brass Auto-Meter fittings into the engine. The fitting comes with an 0.025 diameter hole so first drill that out to 0.040 diameter. Then make up any hose/tube combination you fancy to go from there to the gauge. AN4 flare on one end and a 1/8 pipe thread on the other.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Auto-Meter/105/3277/10002/-1

JEGS 3277 fitting.jpg

Attachments

• JEGS 3277 fitting.jpg
    JEGS 3277 fitting.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 151
I like the stock set up. If you away from home and it goes south you can get the part and replace it. The hose on the Univair part is easy to replace.

Folks - I have a small oil leak from the flared connection on the back of the pressure gauge. it is dead tight so I suspect a crack in there somewhere.

Quick question (actually 2) - if I renew the whole pipe how long should it be from the gauge to the rubber tube that goes through the firewall and what is the flare angle on each end? - I need to borrow the correct tool.

Thanks so much

Frank

I am planning to run a hose from the gauge to the engine on my PA18-150. Is the male fitting on the oil pressure/temp gauge 45 degrees? If so, can hose maker put a female 45 on the oil line?

Thanks.

Chuck.

Mike, Thanks for our response. My concern is the fitting on the Super Cub oil pressure/temp gauge is not AN 37.5. It looks like 45 degrees. Is that case?

Chuck.

You should not replace this with a plane old chunk of 303 hose, you must use the Piper specified part U71061-000. There is a reducer in that hose assembly, right near the engine end, so if the oil line or gauge should fail you will have some time to pick your landing spot. .....

Is the restrictor in the hose itself or in a fitting?
Easy if it's in a fitting-- keep the fitting & run the hose of your choice.

Back