• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

L21 Glass

akskibum

Anchorage Fairbanks
I've been shopping for a Cub for some time and have a handle on most costs for what I want. The wife just discovered L21 glass though. Somehow between her and my dog I've been out voted. What's it going to cost me to install glass in an otherwise perfect Cub?

Are you talking about buying a cub, then converting it to L21style. If so, it'll be lighter, cause you're going to spend a lot of money to convert.

MTV

About 10 pounds.

Bill

I have been thinking about this while i build interior panels. Where do your weights come from Bill? I keep meaning to weigh all the stuff I have and compare. I am not sure with all things considered it will weigh that much. It does give you better visibility and way more space to pack stuff.

Akskibum, I am not sure how long it would take to convert one. You might send AK/PA18 a PM http://www.supercub.org/forum/member.php?472-AkPA-18 and he could tell you. he converted his on a covered airplane.

Have you considered building an experimental L-21? You might be able to find a partially built kit out there and then finish building it as and L-21. I am not an expert but I would think it would be easier to put the glass in while the cover is off versus doing it on a plane that is already covered. If you are going to paint it military colors you will have to do a lot of prep work on the finish of a plane already painted. Put the pencil to it to compare what the cost would be.

Another idea is to find a ratty old PA-18 that is good structurally that needs new fabric.

Thinking out loud....
I bet you could make that a clamp in install and avoid welding on covered plane... With a little thought....

Actually that was a weak attempt at humor. He was asking about dollar cost and I gave a WAG (wild a**ed guess)number from a different perspective. I have no idea what the cost in dollars or weight would be. Sorry guys. I was just trying to be funny.

I now have that sinking feeling you get right after you say a bad word in front of your mom........

Bill

here's what I was thinking.. can't remember the MS number for those clamps like on an Atlee step....
click for bigger
L21-clamp window.jpg

Attachments

• L21-clamp window.jpg
    L21-clamp window.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 232
Thanks everyone. I wasn't too worried about the weight. Removing the pilot's belly pod would more than make up for it.

Not being able to get a simple answer on the price tells me maybe it's not such a good idea. It does make buying a cub in need of fabric a little more interesting.

Not being able to get a simple answer on the price tells me maybe it's not such a good idea. It does make buying a cub in need of fabric a little more interesting.

anything mod wise is/was possible..... but it ALL adds up to BIG $$ by the time you are done.... you might be able to buy 2 or 3 planes, with what you pay, making one just to exactly what you want......

I've resigned myself to the fact I'll be paying for 2 planes to get 1. That I can live with. This doesn't seem like a good way not to buy a third in the process.

Passengers compliment mine all the time. They really seem to enjoy the L-21 glass for it's visibility and brightness. The only benefit to me as the pilot has been to look back and see my tail and occassionally I can spot traffic.

If you do it, go with the one piece upper glass instead of the L-4 split style.

I'm building a pair of L-21 fuses now - I'll try to get a weight up here soon - they're almost done. They are wide-bodies, also.

Lexan. maybe it's better now, but there was a time when crazing was a problem. Also, fuel would eat it. I had okay luck with a mar-resistant flavor of lexan.

1piece or 2.........I am okay with 2-piece because they are a stock part and can be had over the counter any day but Sunday here.

Buggs, you a widebody? Where'd your 1 piece come from? Thanks. DAVE

PS, As Steve P. said, check with our buddy AKPA18...Mark E. of ThrustlineMOd fame. He added L-glass on his covered -18 recently.
:):):):):):)

Buggs, you a widebody? Where'd your 1 piece come from? Thanks. DAVE

Narrow body. I purchased from a plastic supply in smoke gray tint and fabbed myself. I made one out of cardboard first for my template. You can cold brake the lexan on one side to make the partial crease. I have spilled my share of fuel, both mogas and avgas and have never once seen any fuel go over that area. Never even gets close. Not worth considering.

I looked at Bug's L21 glass last week. It looks like new and was surprised when he told me he cold formed the top piece. Very professional looking glass and Cub. It performs as good as it looks too.

Sent from my iPhone from the middle of nowhere using Tapatalk

Yeah, lexan is cool for it's cold-forming properties. and also how easily it drills without chipping, etc.

Bugs, is it one of the "M R" "mar-resistant" coated polycarbonates??

I found that the uncoated lexan will scratch very very easily, like if you wipe a clean finger across it there will be obvious fine scuff/scrcatches.

With the "mar-guard" or whatever I had, the scratching and fuel were not a problem, however, the thing began to get "cloudy" and eventually had fine "crazing" everywhere.

...my experience with it...

Some good info on Spruce's website.

American made Lexan polycarbonate sheet is a very strong plastic which is guaranteed by manufacturer against breakage when used as a window for a three year period. It will scratch like acrylic sheet, but will not break

American made acrylic sheet Grade C to Specification LP-391 is unshrunk. When heated to forming temperature of 220-250°F, it will shrink about 2.2% in length and width and will increase about 4% in thickness. When heated to a pliable state it can be drilled, sawed and machined. It has excellent resistance to weathering. It is less than half as heavy as glass and has good impact resistance. .060" or .080" thickness is generally used for side windows and .125" for windshields.

....three year period.

Bug's, what's date of your C of A??

:) ..just having fun. Can we see a photo of your skylight?

Back