Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 2868767778
Results 3,081 to 3,097 of 3097

Thread: Oops, darn it...

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never had the opportunity to fly an Otter. But this part gives me reservations about letting an inexperienced pilot (I don't just mean low in hours. What type of flying was it?) loose in one.
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    “The biggest gotcha is that the Otter can stall at nearly cruise speed with a heavy load when the flaps are up and the pilot pulls hard during a steep turn.” He went on: “Then, the torque can roll the airplane inverted.”
    Perhaps this could be the cause of some of the other accidents which happened when sightseeing flights ventured into marginal weather in passes? "Oops, I'd better get this beast turned around quickly!"?
    N1PA
    Thanks jimboflying thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    De Havilland DHC-3 OTTER radial engine Flight Manual> https://guidessimo.com/manual/downlo...anual-128.html

It's an interesting read. The local University had one parked at their Auroral rocket test site north of town. They tried to give it away to my employer in the later 1980's. I said if you can move the tail without power then ok. It disappeared and now is quite valuable if intact.

Gary
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 09-16-2022 at 01:32 PM. Reason: changed link

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    I've never had the opportunity to fly an Otter. But this part gives me reservations about letting an inexperienced pilot (I don't just mean low in hours. What type of flying was it?) loose in one.
    Perhaps this could be the cause of some of the other accidents which happened when sightseeing flights ventured into marginal weather in passes? "Oops, I'd better get this beast turned around quickly!"?
    That almost certainly was the cause of severa Beaver accidents in passes, which is why Corey had me turning (with flaps deployed) till I was blue in the face. Corey worked deHavilland aircraft for some operators, so knew the breed well. It’s amazing how well a Beaver turns with flaps out, and how ugly they get in a steep turn without flaps.

Never flown an Otter, but Corey said they were the same.

But, that accident Otter had the Baron kit installed.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    De Havilland DHC-3 OTTER radial engine Flight Manual> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...c-3-Otter.html

It's an interesting read. The local University had one parked at their Auroral rocket test site north of town. They tried to give it away to my employer in the later 1980's. I said if you can move the tail without power then ok. It disappeared and now is quite valuable if intact.

Gary
    Note the statement at the very bottom of page 64.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    De Havilland DHC-3 OTTER radial engine Flight Manual> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/12...c-3-Otter.html

Gary
    And, By the way, opening that web link installed a malware on my PC. I was able to get rid of it by un installing and re-installing the browser software. I don't recommend opening that link.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    The original link didn't bother my Mac. Here's another> https://guidessimo.com/manual/downlo...anual-128.html

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    The original link didn't bother my Mac. Here's another> https://guidessimo.com/manual/downlo...anual-128.html

Gary
    Yes, my iPad opened it fine. PC didn’t like it.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Is anyone besides me shocked and dismayed by the vast number of aircraft accidents listed? All pilots should qualify for hazard pay.

Here's the Preliminary Report for N3937M PA-12. See Page 2 for 08/11/2022 Arctic Village Alaska> https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-main-pub...th=8&year=2022

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I dunno- try listing all the auto incidents; the vast majority of the ntsb listings are the equivalent of a “fender-bender”. I for one don’t think pilots deserve to be any more overpaid... (flame suit on)

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe we are experiencing the consequences of a lack of flying regularly? Not sure about that but up here for the last few years many owners and aircraft have been ground bound more than usual (I'm one). Costs of fuel (~$8.00), maintenance (~$180/hr for some), parts cost, and even more so a lack of availability, has created selective flying. Instead of just going for a fun ride many are focusing on special events and seasonal trips. I don't have hard stats on flight hours over time and season, but I bet it's not increasing for Part 91 ops. So planes and pilots corrode together which ups the risk factor and may affect the potential for incidents or accidents.

Use it or loose it. I just finished an Annual and now to get current.

Gary
    Likes ak49flyer, Oliver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The Otter stall speeds mentioned above sounded crazy to me, and I just ran across a chart in the Texas Turbine(Garrett) FMS. I’ll try to post a screenshot...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4B46A543-2DC1-4CFD-B7D5-6AB97BA6BBE4.png 
Views:	218 
Size:	261.9 KB 
ID:	62902  
    Likes jrussl, BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    NTSB Preliminary Report of DHC-3 Accident Released

https://data.ntsb.gov/carol-repgen/a...ort/105855/pdf
    Thanks ak49flyer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Reno. Gold race for jets. Rest in peace.

https://youtu.be/zZzGdVQHoaQ

Post Thanks / Like
    On 09/19/2022 Alaska Wildlife Troopers in Kodiak received a report from an In Reach device of a plane crash at Becharof Lake near King Salmon. A DHC-2 Beaver bush plane crashed while attempting to take off from the lake. The three occupants aboard the aircraft suffered minor injuries from the aircraft collision. All parties were rescued by another bush plane and were examined in Naknek for their minor injuries.

37 mile long lake....wind right down the lake too. Wonder what happened here. Glad no one was seriously hurt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cessna 180 accident at Whiskey Lake. The pilot, Janell Anderson was killed. I’m not the only one here who knew her or that brown-burnt orange 180 that was in the family for so many years. Say a prayer. Rest in peace, Janell.
    Thanks cubpilot2 thanked for this post
    Likes Airguide liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by StalledOut View Post
    37 mile long lake....wind right down the lake too. Wonder what happened here. Glad no one was seriously hurt.
    You may have answered your own question. Even a Beaver has limits in the wave action it can handle.

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvivion View Post
    You may have answered your own question. Even a Beaver has limits in the wave action it can handle.

MTV
    Have not heard any details but I had the impression it was a smaller un-named lake near Becharof where the accident occurred.