• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

Looks like a flat spin. Registration shows Aviat

Attachments

• B34F9B38-8B96-4DDF-A22C-F3D2595D5D56.jpeg
    B34F9B38-8B96-4DDF-A22C-F3D2595D5D56.jpeg
    149.8 KB · Views: 277
There's lots of prior flights recorded on Flightrader 24. Guess that's how they learn and determine loading and flight behavior so customers won't have to (as much). Looks like a strong airframe design with safe factor if the estimated terminal rate of descent is correct.

Gary

When testing for certification what's typically the flight program? How do they determine limits like CG and control behavior? I assume those were Aviat's goals given the recorded flight history of circling and airspeed excursions in #1803. Jumping from an out of control ship must be tough.

Gary

Looks like a flat spin. Registration shows Aviat
With a slow rotation rate since the wings are still straight.
IF this is a correct assessment of what happened it would be interesting to learn exactly what was done before and during the maneuver which convinced the pilot to leave the plane. During the one flat spin which I encountered during testing, all of the controls were ineffective. Airspeed was zero! The only thing which stopped the flat spin was full power with the engine. Perhaps someone knows the pilot enough to get the straight skinny?

When testing for certification what's typically the flight program? How do they determine limits like CG and control behavior? I assume those were Aviat's goals given the recorded flight history of circling and airspeed excursions in #1803. Jumping from an out of control ship must be tough.

Gary
This is a deep subject upon which books can be written. Basically it depends on what the modification is that is being tested. In this case, I assume it is a modification since the basic airplane has been in production for many years.

I walked the tie down area at the Aviat plant Sunday, after breakfast across the street, probably saw that particular plane. When I saw the picture, that terrain looked real familiar. Good on the pilot for making a successful egress, I have met the guy it probably was, when they were doing the testing on the natural gas powered Husky.

For those that are interested in this accident, or other flights when monitored, in addition to the flight path overlay there's links to KML (Google Earth) and raw CSV (estimated flight data - time/speed/altitude/direction) files here: https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/n298wy#252dd50d They offer a 7 day free or like me you can join.

I downloaded both files. The KML view can be adjusted to give a better angle or horizontal view of the flight. The CSV offers estimated flight data points over time in 3-D . This plane was flown in climbs, slow flight (stalls?), descents, turns, and finally the vertical path during the reported spin. When recovered post flight CSV files are one data set the NTSB downloads from a GPS to generate their accident report plots.

Gary

C182 at Sulphur Creek

Today at Sulphur Creek Ranch, Idaho, a C182 landed long, attempted to go around, then aborted. He skidded off the left side of the runway, hit a tree, then caught fire. The pilot was apparently the only one aboard and exited under his own power, but with serious burns on his hands. Life Flight took him out. Temperature was in the low 50s.

Let's be careful out there.

IMG_2021D.jpg

photo by W. Miller.

Attachments

• IMG_2021D.jpg
    IMG_2021D.jpg
    399.4 KB · Views: 321
He’s a friend of mine... called another local pilot friend to let him know it happened.. told us that he could not get his seat belt off right away so was burned pretty bad.. was with a group camping through the weekend...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found a seat belt under tension (like holding baggage tight) can be hard to release. Depends on latch design. Some of us keep a knife handy when flying in case we have to cut our way out.

Gary

Not to bring up a seatbelt tangent, but there was discussion on regular latches in one of the other threads as to binding or not. I’m still a believer and staunch proponent of rotary latches. The race car industry is far far more advanced in safety than we are.

Your life is worth more to you than any government agency. Install and use the best harness available.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

ANC FAA put out a letter in ref. To that encouraging just that.

If someone had a copy of that letter to share, it may put some certified owners at ease about installing a better harness.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Still tragic and sad.
Worse so is that the event will be based on the accounts of the survivors.

Much like history is written by the winner.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Issues with color vision? It would seem most of the rest are corrective with surgery or optics. Sad airworthiness deal to get oneself into and now the buzzards are circling.

Gary

The really unfortunate part is that his disregard for being legal isn't going to hurt him, but it will cost his family and estate in civil court. He really should have gotten that plane legal and at least tried for a special issuance over his vision for his family's sake.

Issues with color vision? It would seem most of the rest are corrective with surgery or optics. Sad airworthiness deal to get oneself into and now the buzzards are circling.

Gary

Color vision is a pretty easy deal. Either issued with restriction on night flight for third class or get a SODA.

Im betting this was something else.

MTV

I remember when Dick McIntyre from Frontier Flying Service and Frontier Sporting Goods in Fairbanks contracted macular degeneration (or some similar vision challenge to flying). He went and did as much for as long as he could then resigned himself to an honorable retirement.

As a former WWII B-17 pilot: “I once asked him how he became a lead pilot at the rank of captain,” Edward wrote. “He said, ‘Everybody else kept getting killed.’ But although his plane suffered much battle damage, sometimes losing two engines, he never lost a crewman.”

Gary

Why do so many lawmakers believe themselves above the law? It’s a real problem.

Unfortunately, many including myself have been guilty of thinking "as long as I'm by myself what does it matter?? " If I kill myself I've only got myself to blame.

Unfortunately, many including myself have been guilty of thinking "as long as I'm by myself what does it matter?? " If I kill myself I've only got myself to blame.

It is pretty easy to rationalize, indeed. Tough deal.

MTV

Back