• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

It is Scott Christy "LAKE HOOD PILOTS ASSOCIATION" president that had the terrible happening yesterday near Tern Lake. Thoughts n prayers to all the family and friends and our flying group. Please be safe you all.

Blue skies n tailwinds

Accident with no injuries, Lincoln, MT: https://kpax.com/news/western-montana-news/2019/06/30/officials-wind-causes-plane-crash-near-lincoln/

MTV

Those winding valleys they play in are not for everyone. Curious if he just got a turn wrong or was it windy. Could be many other reasons too.

0Aircraft Model: PA18
Event Type: ACCIDENT
Highest Injury: NONE
Aircraft Missing: No
Damage: SUBSTANTIAL
State: ALASKA
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT NOSED OVER ON LANDING, TALKEETNA, AK.
INJURY DATA
Total Fatal: 0

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 07-JUL-19
Time: 00:38:00Z
Regis#: N796AB
Aircraft Make: PIPER
Aircraft Model: PA18
Event Type: INCIDENT
Highest Injury: FATAL
Damage: UNKNOWN
State: MICHIGAN
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, BAY CITY, MI.

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 05-JUL-19
Time: 18:29:00Z
Regis#: N1423P
Aircraft Model: PA14
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT LANDED HARD, DILLINGHAM, AK.
INJURY DATA

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 03-JUL-19
Time: 16:30:00Z
Regis#: N736DW
Highest Injury: MINOR
State: MICHIGAN
DESCRIPTION
Description: ACFT CRASHED IN LAKE PLEASANT IN ATTICA COUNTY MICHIGAN UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES.
INJURY DATA

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 27-JUN-19
Time: 19:45:00Z
Regis#: N3914M
Aircraft Model: PA12
DESCRIPTION
Description: LATE REPORT: AIRCRAFT FLIPPED OVER DURING ABORTED TAKEOFF ON THE TALACHULITNA RIVER NEAR SKWENTNA, AK.
INJURY DATA

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 03-JUL-19
Time: 19:01:00Z
Regis#: N76WW
Damage: MINOR
State: CALIFORNIA
DESCRIPTION
Description: WINGTIP STRUCK GROUND WHILE LANDING.
INJURY DATA
Fatal Serious Minor None Unkn

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 30-JUN-19
Time: 19:24:00Z
Regis#: N4238M
Aircraft Model: PA12
State: WASHINGTON

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 30-JUN-19
Time: 18:57:00Z
Regis#: N98527
Aircraft Model: J3C
Highest Injury: FATAL
Damage: DESTROYED
State: OHIO
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES IN A FIELD, ELYRIA, OH.
INJURY DATA
Total Fatal: 1

Hey Alex,
I'm not sure of your intent by posting raw data excerpts of plane crashes, but it doesn't provide any information worth discussing or any insight to learn from it. Perhaps I'm different but I always am looking to learn from incidents and the opinions presented about them.

This is a followup about a Citation 500 crash, piloted by an older single pilot.
After thinking about it, I realize this is a sad tale of probably a fellow that enjoyed flying, but had gone beyond his ability and training, relying on a system that would typically work for him, if no changes were ever needed.

There’s a billboard out there that says the #1 cause of death in adult males is stubbornness. While the billboard is bringing awareness to prostate screening and cancer, it really applies to many things.

The more you read, the more it shows.

http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2019/07/aerodynamic-stall-spin-cessna-500.html

Hey Alex,
I'm not sure of your intent by posting raw data excerpts of plane crashes, but it doesn't provide any information worth discussing or any insight to learn from it. Perhaps I'm different but I always am looking to learn from incidents and the opinions presented about them.
He just took over for flip flop I think...besides...if you dig into incidents that hit home for you, you can look into the news stories and watch for the final NTSB repot and possibly glean something of value. At least I do

I'm not sure of your intent by posting raw data excerpts of plane crashes,

Seven or eight years ago Anne took over posting the initial NTSB reports from Flip-Flop.

Back then it was mostly PA-18 or other Cub type accidents. Since that was what the main topic was on this site.

A couple or-three years ago ( actually 2014) Anne asked me to start covering the postings of the initial accident reports when I had time.
So I agreed.

Usually somebody here had or has more first hand knowledge related to the accidents and incidents listed on the AIN summary page. ( which is posted long before the NTSB lists the event) And they throw in the color story.....

Other members have always thrown in more data from new articles and so-on.

I have been throwing in interesting non-Cub stuff, ie bush flying, float or tailwheel accidents, but tend to leave out Jets, Helos, hot air balloons and Blimps.

Attachments

• Crash, wire impact across the bay.jpg
    Crash, wire impact across the bay.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
Yikes! Look at how far away from the scene of the crash the floats came to rest. There must be more to this story.

attachment.php

There’s a billboard out there that says the #1 cause of death in adult males is stubbornness. While the billboard is bringing awareness to prostate screening and cancer, it really applies to many things.

Good point. As I turned 60 I realized I started putting "are you being stubborn?" at the top of my daily life checklist.

MIKE MCS REPAIR: Nope there is no tide up that far. That is a gravel bar on a river. The river current and mechanism of the wreck placed the floats elsewhere. The photo is looking downstream.

Posted by skywagon8a View Post
Yikes! Look at how far away from the scene of the crash the floats came to rest. There must be more to this story.

PETE:

He snagged the high voltage power lines over the Wosenenski River while flying in foggy conditions.

The cables start down low and go up at an angle over that river. They send power over to Seldovia. He snagged them right were they are only 40-60 feet up.

59°31'51.24"N 151°20'24.13"W

I saw him depart Beluga Lake a few minutes before and skim the beach as he headed towards the eventual crash scene.

It was super foggy that day, so Iron Inge and I were doing an oil change down at the lake. I told Inge that whoever it was, they were going to kill themselves.

A few minutes later the power grid dropped out.

A while after that a chopper spooled up and skimmed under the fog to see what happened.

When the fog lifted I flew over and took some photos. The floats were a long way from the plane. One of the major power lines was broken free and hanging down on the gravel bar. It looks like he managed to snag the cable right between his floats and his belly.

My opinion is that he was GPS flying up the river and never saw the cables. He was a private VFR pilot flying in IFR conditions.

Last edited:
Sometimes only using the official data in a way to avoid somebody from getting a case of the Butt-Hurt and sending me snivel-grams. Years ago I posted overhead photos of a wreck scene and within hours the offending part 135 operation was calling me to remove said photos from here.

There was a wreck a few days ago in this area. Obviously a case of overloading on a hot day, with a short runway.

Large amounts of baggage and gear, including the rear seats, were seen being removed from the aircraft (and area), as fast as possible before any investigating agency showed up to look it over.

Who knows what the final report will say,,,, if anything...

Sometimes only using the official data in a way to avoid somebody from getting a case of the Butt-Hurt and sending me snivel-grams. Years ago I posted overhead photos of a wreck scene and within hours the offending part 135 operation was calling me to remove said photos from here.

There was a wreck a few days ago in this area. Obviously a case of overloading on a hot day, with a short runway.

Large amounts of baggage and gear, including the rear seats, were seen being removed from the aircraft (and area), as fast as possible before any investigating agency showed up to look it over.

Who knows what the final report will say,,,, if anything...

Do tell.... wouldn’t happen to be a wet low wing??? ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Back