Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Oops, darn it...

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eskflyer View Post
    Mike thats funny , I thought of saying to begin with just call Mike. lol. id like to see the front end and strut ends
    been there, done that... fixed one for ferry like that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone know what happened here?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1a6SlogRo1s

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ncyifly View Post
    Anyone know what happened here?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1a6SlogRo1s

Lost some of one propeller tip, by the shaking.

Or broke crank,

or lost intake valve.

Can't see hand on throttle to tell if he pulled it back or if it lost power

old Cessna 180s will break engine mount legs if they loose a tip

Post Thanks / Like
    It lost part of one blade. The investigation found a bullet hole through one of the blades at the break that had been filled in with bondo or something to conceal the damage. I don't remember all the details exactly but it was a bad deal.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A 22-year-old man died Thursday when the single-engine plane he was piloting crashed in Southwest Alaska, according to authorities.

The pilot, identified as Joel Black of Ohio, was the only person onboard the Cessna 206, according to a statement from Lake Clark National Park and Preserve.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the plane was operated by Regal Air and carrying freight.

It departed from the Lake Hood Seaplane Base in Anchorage and was headed for "a remote landing site in the Bristol Bay area," said Brice Banning, NTSB senior aircraft accident investigator.

Banning said Friday he did not have a more specific destination and did not yet have information on what time the plane left Anchorage.

A woman who answered the phone at Regal Air on Friday morning declined to comment.

Megan Richotte, public information officer with Lake Clark National Park and Preserve, said the plane was reported missing around 9:30 a.m. Thursday, when the Rescue Coordination Center said an emergency locator transmitter had activated inside of the vast national park.

Post Thanks / Like
    Date: 23-JUL-17
    Time: 19:05:00Z
    Regis#: N4387A
    Aircraft Make: PIPER
    Aircraft Model: PA18
    Event Type: ACCIDENT
    Highest Injury: NONE
    Aircraft Missing: No
    Damage: SUBSTANTIAL
    State: ALASKA
    DESCRIPTION
    Description: AIRCRAFT ON LANDING GROUND LOOPED, STERLING, ALASKA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Clark View Post
    A 22-year-old man died Thursday when the single-engine plane he was piloting crashed in Southwest Alaska, according to authorities.

The pilot, identified as Joel Black of Ohio, was the only person onboard the Cessna 206, according to a statement from Lake Clark National Park and Preserve.

The National Transportation Safety Board said the plane was operated by Regal Air and carrying freight.

It departed from the Lake Hood Seaplane Base in Anchorage and was headed for "a remote landing site in the Bristol Bay area," said Brice Banning, NTSB senior aircraft accident investigator.

Banning said Friday he did not have a more specific destination and did not yet have information on what time the plane left Anchorage.

A woman who answered the phone at Regal Air on Friday morning declined to comment.

Megan Richotte, public information officer with Lake Clark National Park and Preserve, said the plane was reported missing around 9:30 a.m. Thursday, when the Rescue Coordination Center said an emergency locator transmitter had activated inside of the vast national park.
    that day had a notam for military GPS jamming, but i think that was scheduled for later that day, and next???

Post Thanks / Like

I know Mike at Regal Air and he is a quality guy, runs a quality operation. They had a memorial service for this young man last night at Lake Hood and it was apparently a really sad, sad evening. Second hand info is that the aircraft burned at the crash site, but also someone saw the aircraft on fire on its way down.

I read One Zero Charlie, a good book, years ago about a pilot near Chicago, and in it he described a cabin fire. To this day the description gives me the willy's and I check those fuel lines often. I truly hope that is not what caused him to go down.

Randy
    Thanks stewartb, Spad thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, Helios liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Iliamna, AK Turbine Otter on floats 9/15:

https://app.ntsb.gov/pdfgenerator/Re...ctual&IType=FA
    https://dms.ntsb.gov/pubdms/search/h...71C70AABAFBC70

An obs and answer as to what and why? 587151.pdf

Gary
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 08-06-2017 at 02:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over-weight and taking off the water in the pitch dark...

Post Thanks / Like
    A sobering lesson.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorta' strange event especially after reading the second links to testimony. Experienced pilot reportedly off the gauges in early morning darkness. Heavy plane and aft CG.

But I'll admit to having expectations for the usual twilight in late September-early October after a summer's perpetual daylight on floats and realizing it's going to be a dark flight at the end. Then if there's any cloud cover and no moon....

Being first to a fish hole isn't worth it.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw a low-wing plane that apparently veered off a gravel strip by Lake George. It had assistance when I flew over Saturday afternoon, so I did not land. Just not common to see this aircraft on gravel strips even in Alaska. Anybody know if the plane was flown out or needed helicopter assistance??

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp View Post
    I saw a low-wing plane that apparently veered off a gravel strip by Lake George. It had assistance when I flew over Saturday afternoon, so I did not land. Just not common to see this aircraft on gravel strips even in Alaska. Anybody know if the plane was flown out or needed helicopter assistance??
    out west AK there were lots of low wing aircraft... where the winds always blowing...

Post Thanks / Like
    IDENTIFICATION
    Date: 04-AUG-17
    Time: 20:30:00Z
    Regis#: N869KB
    Aircraft Make: KITFOX
    Aircraft Model: SUPER SPORT
    Event Type: INCIDENT
    Damage: MINOR
    DESCRIPTION
    Description: AIRCRAFT FORCE LANDED ON A SANDBAR NEAR CHICKALOON, ALASKA

Post Thanks / Like
    02-AUG-17
    Time: 06:52:00Z
    Regis#: N9455C
    Aircraft Make: CESSNA
    Aircraft Model: 180
    Damage: SUBSTANTIAL
    DESCRIPTION
    Description: AIRCRAFT WAS THE SUBJECT OF AN ALNOT AND CRASHED UNDER UNKNOWN CIRCUMSTANCES, WASILLA, AK.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    Sorta' strange event especially after reading the second links to testimony. Experienced pilot reportedly off the gauges in early morning darkness. Heavy plane and aft CG.

But I'll admit to having expectations for the usual twilight in late September-early October after a summer's perpetual daylight on floats and realizing it's going to be a dark flight at the end. Then if there's any cloud cover and no moon....

Being first to a fish hole isn't worth it.

Gary
    500 lbs over an 8,300 lb Gross- 6%. There used to be a 10% waiver in Alaska for these old birds, so the weight, and even the aft was NOT the issue. Another violation for the pilot, but not the cause of the crash.

Interesting that they did not discuss night currency that I saw.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes mike mcs repair, C130jake, ak49flyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Whatever the cause and events passengers died going recreational fishing. Same for Ted Stevens and others in similar aircraft. Most with experienced pilots onboard.

As far as issues that may have contributed I leave that to the folks that deal with these accidents daily.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Over-weight and taking off the water in the pitch dark...
    Sounds like fun to me...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    As far as issues that may have contributed I leave that to the folks that deal with these accidents daily.

Gary
    rarely does the NTSB figure out the obvious

Post Thanks / Like
    I doubt that pilot will work again. I would hang it up if I killed three people due to my screw up.

Was he instrument rated, current--instrument and night?

IMHO
    YMMV
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"
    Likes Orchevguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    rarely does the NTSB figure out the obvious
    Amen....

MTV

Post Thanks / Like
    207 takes a bath near Juneau

By JAMES BROOKS
    Juneau Empire
    Small plane crashes near Coghlan Island; no injuries reported
    Four passengers, pilot swam ashore after reported engine trouble
    [<p>The file image from 2014 shows Coghlan at the entrance of Auke Bay. (Michael Penn | Juneau Empire) </p>]

The file image from 2014 shows Coghlan at the entrance of Auke Bay. (Michael Penn | Juneau Empire)

An Alaska Seaplanes floatplane crashed Monday morning near Coghlan Island in Auke Bay on a flight from Skagway to Juneau, but its four passengers and pilot are uninjured.

Capital City Fire/Rescue Assistant Fire Chief Ed Quinto confirmed the five people were wet — they had to swim to the island — but unharmed.

According to the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center, the small plane’s automated distress beacon activated at 6:35 a.m., not long after its pilot radioed the Juneau airport and reported engine trouble. That account of events was confirmed in a press release from Carl Ramseth, general manager of Alaska Seaplanes.

National Transportation Safety Board aviation accident investigator Noreen Price is working with a Federal Aviation Administration investigator in Juneau to determine what happened. Price interviewed 33-year-old pilot Joshua Dee Poirer by phone soon after the accident.

SEE ALSO
    Local painter Herb Bonnet dies at 87
    First phase of Auke Bay construction nearing completion

“He had a complete loss of engine power,” she said.

Three miles from the airport and nearing ground level, Poirer had no way to reach the runway. He turned the plane and ditched in the ocean about 80 feet from the eastern shore of Coghlan Island.

“The pilot did a great job of managing this,” Price said.

Quinto said by phone that his department received a call for help as this was happening. Rescue crews went to Don D. Statter Memorial Harbor and prepared to help, but the pilot and passengers “were close enough to shore that all five people were able to swim to shore,” Quinto said.

A Temsco helicopter also responded and confirmed all five were on Coghlan Island, Quinto said.

Price said the accident happened so quickly that neither the passengers nor the pilot had time to don life jackets.

“By the time they knew they were ditching in water, it was too late,” she said.

According to Alaska State Troopers, an Alaska Seaplanes floatplane picked up all four passengers from Coghlan Island while the pilot, Poirier, remained on the beach before being picked up by Coastal Helicopters.

Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st Class John Paul Rios said the Coast Guard was preparing to assist as well, but by the time it arrived on scene, the passengers had already been picked up. Quinto said the passengers were taken to Alaska Seaplanes’ facility in Juneau, where they were examined by medics and found to be unharmed.

The plane sank after landing in the water, Troopers said.

In his press release, Ramseth said the National Transportation Safety Board has released custody of the plane back to Alaska Seaplanes, allowing it to be recovered, “and we’ll be cooperating with them to determine the cause of the accident. We commend the actions of the pilot through this emergency and are very thankful for the outcome.”

The Coast Guard team responding to the crash was subsequently sent (with Troopers and SEADOGS) to assist a missing hiker on Sullivan Island, just south of the Chilkat Peninsula. That hiker was found on the beach unharmed by a good Samaritan boat, said Coast Guard Petty Officer Charly Hengen.

The crashed plane was a Cessna 207 built in 1974 and registered to Kalinin Partners, LLC. The plane’s last airworthiness certificate was dated Sept. 25, 2015 and was scheduled to expire in September 2018.

Price said the plane will be taken to a hangar where the FAA investigator and NTSB will examine it and the plane’s maintenance records to determine what caused the accident.

She added that the crash should remind passengers to dress for outside conditions and listen to their emergency briefings: No one expects an emergency, but it doesn’t hurt to be prepared.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sez it was a float plane, and it "crashed" and "sank" due to engine failure? Inside Coglan (usually pretty calm water)? Some clarification would be interesting!
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    14-AUG-17
    Time: 14:33:00Z
    Regis#: N745KP
    Aircraft Model: C207
    Highest Injury: UNKNOWN
    Damage: UNKNOWN
    DESCRIPTION
    Description: N745KP CESSNA C207 ALASKA SEAPLANES FLIGHT ST745 FORCE LANDED OFF SHORE COGHLIN ISLAND, 4 MILES FROM JUNEAU, ALASKA
    INJURY DATA

Post Thanks / Like
    ADN article says it was on wheels. Amazing it stayed upright.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...ssengers-safe/

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Misch View Post
    Sez it was a float plane, and it "crashed" and "sank" due to engine failure? Inside Coglan (usually pretty calm water)? Some clarification would be interesting!
    Bad reporting. 207 on wheels, engine failure and ditching.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes Orchevguy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avia...of-cook-inlet/

Pilot didn't make it. Identity not released yet. So Sad! Somewhere a family is greving and need our prayers.
    Ed
    Thanks eskflyer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pilot id'd. Member? http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Air...441669663.html

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    "NTSB received notification of a plane crash, between Tyonek and Port Alsworth," and "More specifically, the plane crashed about 50 miles west of Tyonek, near the east end of Chakachamna Lake,"
    It's always sad to hear of accidents of any severity, my condolences to all involved. My question is: Why is Port Alsworth mentioned at all when the accident took place on the east side of the range? Also if it was near the east end of
    Chakachamna Lake it would be more like 40 miles west of Tyonek. 50 miles would place him near the west end of Chakachamna Lake at the entrance to Merrill Pass. Was he going through Merrill or along the coast to Lake Clark Pass?
    Last edited by skywagon8a; 08-26-2017 at 04:57 AM.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a good story (with a happy ending) about a mishap my friend, Dave Olesen, had with his Found Bushhawk just last month. They were, literally, in the middle of nowhere, but Dave and his friend are both experienced outdoorsmen and came through it just fine. The 'plane - not so much!

https://bushedpilotblog.wordpress.co...charlie-green/
    Likes skywagon8a, Ruffair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NunavutPA-12 View Post
    Here's a good story (with a happy ending) about a mishap my friend, Dave Olesen, had with his Found Bushhawk just last month. They were, literally, in the middle of nowhere, but Dave and his friend are both experienced outdoorsmen and came through it just fine. The 'plane - not so much!

https://bushedpilotblog.wordpress.co...charlie-green/
    I'm sending this to my friend with the Found Expedition on Aerocets.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Date: 23-AUG-2017
    Time: 11:00 LT
    Type: Piper PA-18AS-125 Super Cub
    Owner/operator: Private
    C/n / msn: 18-1740
    Fatalities: Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
    Other fatalities: 0
    Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
    Location: East end of Chakachamna Lake, 50 miles west of Tyonek, AK - United States of America
    Phase: En route
    Nature: Private
    Departure airport:
    Destination airport:
    Narrative:
    The plane impacted trees and terrain under unknown circumstances. The pilot died in the crash.

Sources:

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Air...441669663.html
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...of-cook-inlet/
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...ed444?hl=en-us
    http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=1905A
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...AS-125/4183813

Posted August 25, 2017 04:57 pm
    By Staff reports
    Man who died in plane crash near Tyonek identified

A man who died Wednesday in a plane crash on Cook Inlet’s west side has been identified as Jason Walkush, 35.

Walkush, of Anchorage, was found dead in the wreckage of his plane near Chakachamna Lake, about 50 miles west of Tyonek, on Wednesday by searchers from the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center. His body was taken back to the State Medical Examiner’s office and his identity confirmed Friday afternoon, according to an online Alaska State Trooper dispatch.

The Rescue Coordination Center responded to a beacon alert from the plane at approximately 10:47 p.m. Wednesday, according to the dispatch. After the RCC was able to locate the plane and confirm that the pilot had died, troopers despolyed a helicopter with two troopers along with a National Transportation Safety Board officer to investigate and recover Walkush’s body, according to the dispatch.

Walkush’s next-of-kin have been notified, according to the dispatch.

–Staff reports

Post Thanks / Like
    Sad,
    I know that plane, it's past.. was a naknek plane for years, remember the picture of it on naknek lake on 2 skiffs after engine failure... was then one of the members here till a judge made him sell it about 10 years ago, then I think it was down in valdez

that was the plane Ralph was flying in along side my stepfather Windy's pacer when the pacers elevator system broke free under seat, no radio, just saw him going up, then down, up then down...he was flying it with the trim handle, manage to land it in Eggiik and borrow an arc welder and sorta fix it

Date: 23-AUG-2017
    Time: 11:00 LT
    Type: Piper PA-18AS-125 Super Cub
    Owner/operator: Private
    C/n / msn: 18-1740
    Fatalities: Fatalities: 1 / Occupants: 1
    Other fatalities: 0
    Airplane damage: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
    Location: East end of Chakachamna Lake, 50 miles west of Tyonek, AK - United States of America
    Phase: En route
    Nature: Private
    Departure airport:
    Destination airport:
    Narrative:
    The plane impacted trees and terrain under unknown circumstances. The pilot died in the crash.

Sources:

http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/Air...441669663.html
    https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/2017...of-cook-inlet/
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ch...ed444?hl=en-us
    http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...umbertxt=1905A
    http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untit...AS-125/4183813

Posted August 25, 2017 04:57 pm
    By Staff reports
    Man who died in plane crash near Tyonek identified

A man who died Wednesday in a plane crash on Cook Inlet’s west side has been identified as Jason Walkush, 35.

Walkush, of Anchorage, was found dead in the wreckage of his plane near Chakachamna Lake, about 50 miles west of Tyonek, on Wednesday by searchers from the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center. His body was taken back to the State Medical Examiner’s office and his identity confirmed Friday afternoon, according to an online Alaska State Trooper dispatch.

The Rescue Coordination Center responded to a beacon alert from the plane at approximately 10:47 p.m. Wednesday, according to the dispatch. After the RCC was able to locate the plane and confirm that the pilot had died, troopers despolyed a helicopter with two troopers along with a National Transportation Safety Board officer to investigate and recover Walkush’s body, according to the dispatch.

Walkush’s next-of-kin have been notified, according to the dispatch.

–Staff reports

Post Thanks / Like
    well, looks like Alice hasn't figured out landing yet... again....
    first picture is story is a video...
    http://mustreadalaska.com/shes-gonna...campbell-lake/

below is her last crash/botched landing on floats... a year or two? ago(it's somewhere in this thread).... I think these are/were new cessnas too??..

Post Thanks / Like
    Pilot induced oscillation taken to the extreme. Good thing she ran out of lake. One more bounce may have done her in.

Her last big adventure- http://www.ktuu.com/content/news/NTS...432930663.html
    Last edited by stewartb; 09-14-2017 at 01:12 PM.
    Likes Scooter7779h liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't figure out why that reporter has not found out about the time Alice whacked the hell out of the dock in Halibut cove with a 206 prop. It was awhile before she smashed into the tree over there and then fled the scene before anyone could do a breath test.
    Likes C130jake, Scooter7779h liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    IDENTIFICATION
    Date: 24-SEP-17
    Time: 21:40:00Z
    Regis#: N1755C
    Aircraft Model: 180
    Event Type: INCIDENT
    Highest Injury: UNKNOWN
    Damage: UNKNOWN
    DESCRIPTION
    Description: AIRCRAFT WAS FLOATING UPSIDE DOWN IN RIVER.

From another forum: """said the engine quit with no warning, no roughness, stumbling, etc. He was returning from the McGrath area after a moose hunt and had topped off the tanks the night before, should not have been a quantity issue unless there was an unnoticed leak or venting going on. They were pretty low when they lost power, sounded like the river was the best spot. After successfully getting it on the water they floated downstream for 10 mins or so. As his buddy stood out on the float trying to get a rope to shore, the pilot made radio calls to keep updating people on their position. Eventually they came around a bend and hit a sweeper, plane jammed in and in a few secs sucked the upstream wing under and rolled the plane. His buddy on the floats got launched into the water and he got sucked under with the plane. Fortunately he was able to swim out and inflate his vest. They were both eventually able to make it to shore and jumped around trying to stay warm until the boats arrived about 10 mins later.

Super lucky to alive. He said their inflatable float vests and his survival training are what saved him."""
    Thanks mike mcs repair thanked for this post
    Likes Dave Calkins liked this post