• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

20201102_104711.jpg

Attachments

• 20201102_104711.jpg
    20201102_104711.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 1,111
Last edited:
Check your planes in Anchorage area. I won’t post a photo as owner may not know yet but there’s a (once) real nice PA-18 totally twisted and up against fence at Merrill Field gravel strip 05/23.

Broke loose and went flipping across the ramp like a Pamper blowing out of a village landfill until fence stopped it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

drove by circa 45 minutes ago, there were two cars parked near it (upwind) with folks looking...not just looky-loos, appeared to be owner or possibly recovery personnel. Sad situation. Would also suggest looking to protect your a/c from any nearby signs or similar items that might get blown around.

Gusts to 49 at Birchwood last night, I put a truck in front of the 180. Merrill showed gusts to 38 but may have been a freak one that did not get recorded.
DENNY

We had winds like that yesterday...around Houghton, MI (CMX) there was a highest recorded gust of 63mph. One of the weather stations off Maquette out in Lake Superior over 70mph

Gusts to 49 at Birchwood last night, I put a truck in front of the 180. Merrill showed gusts to 38 but may have been a freak one that did not get recorded.
DENNY

I was out at both Lake Hood and Merrill this morning looking after my and a few friend's planes. Gusts were 50+ I'd bet. The Merrill wind gauge must be funky because METARs showed way higher winds at Hood when it was actually way worse at Merrill.

The cub broke its ropes from what I saw. Another Citabria had old weathered cam straps that the stitching pulled and it blew into a t-craft and a -12. A Pacer had old brittle ropes and it was getting up close and personal with a 172 for a bit there. Lots of tattered wing covers and bushwheel covers blown to the fence.

After two fubars in two years with 90 mph gusts I've gone to double roping everything preferably in different attach points

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Ah, reminds me of the old saying “Cheapest thing in an airplane: The pilot”. How expensive is good rope?

MTV

Good rope and lift spoiler or at least vented covers? There's always some that buy regular covers then wonder why they blow up and off after bending the trailing edge of the wing. Lots of Cessna's around with concave upper ailerons from excessive cover tension.

Gary

There's always some that buy regular covers then wonder why they blow up and off after bending the trailing edge of the wing.
Gary

on all the cub wings I build, if I have acmes to the wing covers, I add snaps in cover and on bottom leading edge to prevent cover from rolling back.... helps with spoiler covers allot...

Good idea on the snaps. So far my experience with a lengthwise ~3" air vent strip just aft of the leading edge is positive. Pointed into the wind the air gets caught by the under trailing edge of the solid wing or tail covers. It then flows under the them forward over the upper wing and exits the vent. Keeps the covers from blowing up off the wing much. I've also got an older set of 100% mesh spoiler covers that never move (or the plane for that matter) but melting snow can flow through and lightly ice the wing below.

Gary

I was out at both Lake Hood and Merrill this morning looking after my and a few friend's planes. Gusts were 50+ I'd bet. The Merrill wind gauge must be funky because METARs showed way higher winds at Hood when it was actually way worse at Merrill.

The cub broke its ropes from what I saw. Another Citabria had old weathered cam straps that the stitching pulled and it blew into a t-craft and a -12. A Pacer had old brittle ropes and it was getting up close and personal with a 172 for a bit there. Lots of tattered wing covers and bushwheel covers blown to the fence.

Based on driving through Merrill about 7:30 - 8:15 yesterday, I'd have to estimate that (possibly) the steady wind and (certainly) the gusts were in excess of 50 mph. Saw 3 wind socks that were rock solid straight out and didn't flex at all unless there was shift in direction. When I stopped to get out of the vehicle, it was a serious effort to open the door against the wind.

FWIW, 2 ea 20' sections and 1 ea 10' section of nylon rope with (IIRC) 4000' breaking strength cost about $50 (again, IIRC) at AIH mid-summer when I got new "go with the plane" rope.....maybe not the best for long-term use / repeated impact cycles, but cheap enough to use-replace-use during the stormy seasons.

Like my friend Joe says "I seen some chit today". Two military copters on low approach over a runway spaced L-R with R leading. Too soon a PA-18 on tires follows to land. They hit the right copter's wake (presumably) and lost half their altitude ~200>100 AGL instantly and rolled right. Sharp pilot rudders back level (I talked with them after) adds full power then climbs but re-centers left back over strip. Then again they presumably hit the wake of the second copter and roll left but not as far or fall as low. They then climb and return for successful landing.

I knew and worked with the second pilot's father and know the passenger. Good experienced Alaskan pilots were that close to yet another Oops. Tower never mentioned wake turbulence I was told, but it's always a "save yourself first" deal anyway.

After the copters passed the strip they flew over open water in a river to the south. Temp was -10F and their wake blew up a curtain of fog that remained for several minutes after the Cub landed.

Gary

Based on the photo, I’m not sure that I would have reported the airplanes to have “landed” after the mid-air collision.

Sounds like they did a good job.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I got a notice of that when it happened, all electrics out, all hydraulics inop. They had just raised the gear so the emergency extend system obviously works. If only they had brakes or reversers. I bet it will be quite the challenge to move that plane from the soft ground. They must have to get all the Hyundai parts out to lighten the ship first.

From what I read they had loss of control function due to cable damage, not knowing just what that damage was, Yes they did good.

Yakutat Airport has been a zoo grounds for years. In 1977 a couple of us going from Fairbanks to Juneau on the commercial milk run scared the nuggets out of some moose on the runway. The 737 made a low pass first to clear the runway.

Gary

Yakutat Airport has been a zoo grounds for years. In 1977 a couple of us going from Fairbanks to Juneau on the commercial milk run scared the nuggets out of some moose on the runway. The 737 made a low pass first to clear the runway.

Gary

It's all fenced now.

It's all fenced now.

How did the bear get through the fence? Might be worth knowing....and how would they leave later? Article says "partially enclosed" but we know how accurate that can be. Now there'll be Gov't reaction.

https://www.juneauempire.com/news/jetliner-hits-brown-bear-while-landing-in-yakutat/ and http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2020_11_15_archive.html

Same in Fairbanks. Moose, Fox, Lynx and whatever simply use the ungated entry points on the East Side.

Gary

Some cowling damage is a pretty lucky outcome. Hitting a brown bear with ANYthing going over 20 mph is going to leave a mark....those things are solid.

MTV

Back