• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

Paint over paint? Odd way to refurbish an aircraft today. Not disputing it just curious. Should be confirmed as source of red.

Gary

I would also as noted above, suspect aileron flutter. That happened to one of our 185s, due to ice formed in the back of the aileron. Parked on the Slope, no wing covers, due to winds. Snow blew in through lightening holes, thawed, froze, and became clear.

The flutter happened at takeoff, but could have occurred anywhere, I guess. Massive vibration, and he came back and landed. Right wing was bent up at strut attach. Aileron outboard hinges broke, and aileron was bent almost 90 degrees up. I think I recall an investigator saying that had that hinge not failed, the wing probably would have failed.

It'll be interesting to see what they come up with on this one. Ugly doesn't even describe it.

MTV

Thanks Mike I recalled that event - the pilot's (DS?) story was horrific. There's always the potential for aileron imbalance but not everyone knows to check them for open rear openings during preflight. Whenever I saw icicles hanging I tried to find out why. But not suggesting it was 'the' cause here. Another FU is bent ailerons due to tight wing covers. They can form a concave upper surface over time in big winds. I always wondered why they were left in that condition by some.

Gary

Plane lived in heated hangar for winter.

I am very glad the Cessna Factory and NTSB are digging deep into this.

Mike, the flutter story is interesting, I had not heard about that.

Service for Chris, our pilot, is tomorrow. Godspeed.

On another C-185 I rode with a really long time 135 pilot several times. He was an A&P and did his own maintenance except that which required an IA. Even in calm air he would continuously rock the control yoke what looked like 1" travel. Ailerons never appeared to move much and the hinges smoked some after a flight in rain. I asked him about it and he smiled. On the ground they had some freeplay before the yoke moved - airframe was nearing mid-teen K hrs mostly on floats in SE and Interior Alaska. He crashed last May while on Landes WP skis. Haven't heard about the airframe condition.

Gary

A neighbor of mine. I watched him take off the other day but hadn't heard about this accident. He uses LH-4000s. I'm not familiar with how the check cable and spring cable attach on LH skis. I like the no injuries part of the report!

I wonder if the discomfort of performing maintenance and thorough pre-flights in windy, sub-zero weather has anything to do with these ski accidents.

I wonder if the discomfort of performing maintenance and thorough pre-flights in windy, sub-zero weather has anything to do with these ski accidents.

Potentially an issue. Fly one often enough and routine dulls the senses. Pre-flight gets in the way of flight sometimes especially during crowed schedules, WX, or diminishing daylight. Then there's landing and takeoffs after departure when things can quickly change for the worse, plus exceeding placarded changes to Vne in flight with skis installed. It's a challenge to look and successfully find defects or changes to the rigging. I don't like the gear departing the airplane scenario above. Was it caused over time or just this event?

Gary

I'm told this was a rear cable failure. I wouldn't have expected this result but the guy flying that 185 is pretty damn good so I've got to believe he did all he could to minimize the damage.

4 souls and no injuries is a blessing just the same.

Potentially an issue. Fly one often enough and routine dulls the senses. Pre-flight gets in the way of flight sometimes especially during crowed schedules, WX, or diminishing daylight. Then there's landing and takeoffs after departure when things can quickly change for the worse, plus exceeding placarded changes to Vne in flight with skis installed. It's a challenge to look and successfully find defects or changes to the rigging. I don't like the gear departing the airplane scenario above. Was it caused over time or just this event?

Gary

Complacency is a cold hearted bitch, a heated home hangar helps keep her at bay for me. I almost, ALMOST.... welcome something going wrong now and then, just to not let her sneak in. The better things are running, the longer, the worst it gets, or can get, same with most of life I guess but for sure with airplanes, and for me, cranes both.

Spec from Landes is 5/32 rear check cable in that ICA doc in #2145. Maybe larger is better especially with heavy skis and various loads? Then there's possibly compromised attachment hardware and nicopress sleeves. Eventually what failed will be revealed. Four souls uninjured is good news. Could have been all manner of airframe damage inflight.

I spent many hrs with Fluidyne AWB 3600's. The worst of both worlds always twisting and banging around in the air and on the ground. Amazing they held together like they did.

Gary

Thank you for the information Stewart. Maybe at some point you will be able to relay the cause, and how we can avoid possible issues in the future. Getting it done with no injuries is the best thing I have heard all day.

Flew my first set of the Landis Retract skis today, just a familiarization ride on the runway. Was reading up on them and came across this, with the note in the ICA- Place placard on instrument panel in full view of the pilot:

IN FLOATPLANE, AMPHIBIAN AND SKIPLANES EQUIPED WITH AIRGLAS LH4000 RETRACT FLAPS TO 20° IMMEDIATELY AFTER APPLYING POWER FOR BALKED LANDING GO-AROUND

Anyone consider mounting them on a Floatplane or Amphibian?
:lol::lol:

Gust lock between flap and aileron, hopefully installed after accident to keep the wind from causing further damage.

So a expired medical. What does the FAA say about that?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

He got his third class when he was younger than 40 and in October. Of 2015. Isn’t that good for five years? If so March of 2020 is less than 5 years. Disclaimer. I don’t pay attention to these duration things so much, so I’m probably wrong.

Rich

He got his third class when he was younger than 40 and in October. Of 2015. Isn’t that good for five years? If so March of 2020 is less than 5 years. Disclaimer. I don’t pay attention to these duration things so much, so I’m probably wrong.

Rich

You are right. It was good through the end of October 2020.

Back