• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

I’d like to see the version they have in the Italian variant. This one would be pretty hard to get your shins around.
IMG_3084.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

Attachments

• IMG_3084.JPG
    IMG_3084.JPG
    467.2 KB · Views: 161
Super Cub. July 6. Montague Island, Alaska. No injuries. No details.
5470053A-47B6-4F8C-8AD0-45D3CFA0C4EE.jpeg

Attachments

• 5470053A-47B6-4F8C-8AD0-45D3CFA0C4EE.jpeg
    5470053A-47B6-4F8C-8AD0-45D3CFA0C4EE.jpeg
    594.7 KB · Views: 365
^^^Recent local professional restoration for N2588P. Beautiful Cub. 4th bump for the pilot, apparently.

Gary

Looked for more detail and found this:

https://coffeeordie.com/downed-plane-island-bears/

and this

https://www.kinyradio.com/news/news...-people-after-plane-crash-at-montague-island/

Neither explained if the log strewn beach was the intended landing site.

That is one of the more poorly written and made up articles I have read. I spend a fair amount of time on that island and I know of many other places in the state that bears are a much bigger issue. If they were dumb enough to be flying around without the proper bear medicine they deserved to get a darwin award.

I have a hard time thinking that could have been an "intended" landing site. If one is flying low level and has engine issues there are LOTS of place on the island that look just like that or worse so about all you can do is look for the smallest log or rock and try to hit that one.

“Emergency Landing sites”…. Same applies when trying to get that perfect YouTube hero shot over a craggy glacier or cold water with ie all around. One cough away from certain death.

It is entirely possible they were landing at low tide.....HUGE tides thereabouts, so should have been a lot of beach showing. Problem is, unless you're on your game, those steep beaches can be tricky. One of the things that often happens is tail goes downhill, plane points uphill, and.....

Purely speculation.

MTV

It is entirely possible they were landing at low tide.....HUGE tides thereabouts, so should have been a lot of beach showing. Problem is, unless you're on your game, those steep beaches can be tricky. One of the things that often happens is tail goes downhill, plane points uphill, and.....

Purely speculation.

MTV

Huge tides? uhhh. NOPE. Landing at low tide in the pickers? NOPE. Landing well below the tide line and ending up in that position? NOPE.

We will have to wait for Paul Harvey to give us the rest of the story. However, I would say MTV has a very good answer. That is a steep beach, tidal change that day from low tide -1.3 around 1 pm when the pilot would be looking for a landing spot to high tide at 7:28 was +9.7 feet. Max tidal change for the island is 18.4 ft. That picture was 30 min from high tide. Even if the call for help was made at time of the crash they should have had enough clear beach to land on. The call usually takes a while after crash as people sort it out. So ya landing on a steep beach with tail heavy plane (2 people, camping gear, fuel) that tail will want to drop down the beach unless you are ready for that the braking is just wrong because you would normally not want to hit the water side brake and drag the nose into the water. Just takes some time on slopes or mental prep for the feet to act right. He could have had engine trouble also but I am with mike on this one. We will just have to wait for the rest of the story. DENNY

Reminds me of landing my hang glider in the Big Sur surf once, the beach we were using for our LZ was super tight ALL the time. I don't recall any of us taking note of any tide tables, so even narrower at times! It wasn't visible from the launch site either...., I landed in knee deep water, you HAD to use a "water assist" it was that tight, but as I was "taxiing" out, a breaker came in and damn near swept me out to sea, still hooked in. I'm getting spooked just typing this, 50 years later, a very close call.

Not a Super Cub but an RV8 my friend built in 2004 and sold a few years ago. This pilot may want to consider investing in some lottery tickets after the result of his encounter with power lines. According to the report he didn’t think he had any damage until his buddy flying near him took a look. Successful landing after declaring emergency. Happened in February

Rich

Attachments

• FC17A38F-5BA9-4903-B750-21FCEEDBBD5A.jpeg
    FC17A38F-5BA9-4903-B750-21FCEEDBBD5A.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 193
Not a Super Cub but an RV8 my friend built in 2004 and sold a few years ago. This pilot may want to consider investing in some lottery tickets after the result of his encounter with power lines. According to the report he didn’t think he had any damage until his buddy flying near him took a look. Successful landing after declaring emergency. Happened in February

Rich
I was landing in a small pond in Plymouth MA years ago with my Colonial C-1 when I spotted a set of wires crossing my path directly in front of the windshield. I pushed the nose down and went under them, don't know how I missed them but I did. I would not have missed them had I pulled the nose up. When I taxied back to check them out, the two poles which supported them were hidden in the trees on either side of the pond. I know, always look for the poles to find the wires. In this case the poles were hidden.

They found Andy Andersen's Aeronca missing from Valdez to Sutton. Guess he ran the motocross track and worked with lots of youth. Sad news. No news release yet.

Curious what was going on that a student pilot would try going through two passes to Sutton in marginal weather out of Valdez.
If it was a x-c doesn't the instructor need to sign off?

I spent Monday on the Copper below Chitina. The weather alternated between bad and awful. The drive home was also an adventure with occasional squalls the resembled gulf coast rain from Sheep Mountain into Palmer. Not a good flying day.

Godspeed.

Learning to stay grounded in marginal weather....there's lots of training for flying and route preparation but maybe not enough for delaying flight due to weather. Sure there's the "go have a look" option but that needs to be planned ahead for a safe turn back point. Easily said - sometimes hard to do without actual experience.

Gary

Learning to stay grounded in marginal weather....there's lots of training for flying and route preparation but maybe not enough for delaying flight due to weather. Sure there's the "go have a look" option but that needs to be planned ahead for a safe turn back point. Easily said - sometimes hard to do without actual experience.

Gary

Well said. Getting home or getting there has finished a lot of pilots. No weather specific training, only learning by experience and that experience can prove fatal. I am not immune, nobody is.

I'm not 2nd guessing here about this sad accident as I wasn't there. My choice if fighting weather is try to go have a look but only on level or only slightly rising terrain w/o steep rocks around. Never in steep terrain with decreasing dew point or bracketed by mixed rocks and clouds, even if a broken layer. Passes are bad as they can lead you into limited options to turn around - narrowing notches that turn and twist. Same for descending into what may be better weather only to find a wall, then when turning back the route you just flew has deteriorated into another rising terrain with clouds to the ground. Fuel limits and carbed engines making ice compound the challenge. Better to have a donut and coffee then fly later.

Gary

Gary is spot on. Been there, with the retreat having become untenable. Scary as can be cuz down in that terrain IFR is not an option. Opinion -

Not disagreeing with any of the recent comments but as a student on a x-c if I remember right, I had to be signed off and the instructor wanted to be involved in all go/no go decisions.
Unless this was unsanctioned.......
That's what I wonder. Was this under the supervision of his instructor or did he just go off on his own.
He would have to make it through Thompson pass and Tahneta Pass on a day with some pretty crummy weather.
I just have a hard time thinking a instructor thought that was a good idea in those conditions.

Sometimes student pilot in Alaska refers to somebody that has been flying a long time but never finished their private rating. The agency reports the highest rating you have, and if a student pilot certificate is obtained, you are forever a student pilot until you pass a checkride of some sort.

Which is to say, anytime it says student pilot in a news report, you don't know if they have 2000 hours or 20 hours and whether they are actively working on a rating overseen by an instructor or whether they are part of the 'uncertificated pilot' population that operates as if they have a rating they don't actually have.

So unless somebody has knowledge of the individual and his situation, pondering the flight instructor interaction in this event may not really be relevant. Or it may. I did not know the gentleman in question, though I do feel for him during this flight and for his remaining family. Sad deal.

With respect from the FAA Airmen database -

Certificates
STUDENT PILOT
Certificates Description
Certificate: STUDENT PILOT
Date of Issue: 7/26/2021
Limits:
CARRYING PASSENGERS IS PROHIBITED.

Gary

Back