• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

On the Cessna strut rivets: Has anyone replaced them or knows who can? I have a 180 in the shop now with all the upper rivets smoking on both struts. Bottom fittings not so much. This plane gets hosed with ACF-50 annually, so that may make it look a bit worse, but they’re definitely moving. How to deal with these? I believe they’re a -10 rivet, and I doubt any of my equipment will handle those. Also have a couple with the poor countersinking Pete described earlier...

blob.jpg

Apparently a Talkeetna-based aircraft. Emergency landing in a Whitehorse neighbourhood November 9, 2022.

Attachments

• blob.jpg
    blob.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 204
I love seeing plane crash pictures, where it still looks like an airplane, where it appears the pilot kept flying all the way down! That pilot should be proud, unless he/she did something stupid that is.

Last edited:
Big east winds there, two gals. They can repair that one for sure. Not a lot of options at this location they did well!

51104.jpeg

51105.jpeg

Attachments

• 51104.jpeg
    51104.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 1,384
  • 51105.jpeg
    51105.jpeg
    186 KB · Views: 1,395
There was a low hand tram crossing there in the past not sure if it is still there. I have not looked for quiet a few years. Paint scheme has become popular around here in the past few years. Hope everyone is ok. Prop is not bent so might have had engine problem.
DENNY

Last edited:

Dispatch Text:
On November 10, 2022, at 12:48 pm, Alaska Wildlife Troopers received a report of an airplane crash located in the Matanuska River near Mile 77 of the Glenn Highway. AWT and AST Troopers responded to the scene. The FAA and NTSB were contacted, and the NTSB arrived on scene shortly after. The Matanuska Dive Team responded and launched their boat to access the site. The adult male pilot was the sole person in the aircraft and was declared deceased on scene. MTR Towing arrived on scene and with the help of the Dive Team were able to remove the aircraft from the river. The body was removed from the fuselage and turned over to a local funeral home vehicle. Further investigation revealed there was another aircraft flying with this aircraft and witnessed the aircraft hit a cable and crash. Next of kin notification procedures are ongoing.

Horrible horrible tragedy.
Looked like from Cobra bank angle he never saw the 17, following in trail of two other fighters.
Cut the fuselage off right behind the wings.

https://youtu.be/-uLk48ajFLk

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

Last edited:
Very sad.

Now I realize why even small events they have some serious discussions ahead of time to ensure spacing.

Condolences to those involved and those left behind.

OMG, I’m sorry for the friends and families who lost loved ones and for the witnesses of this heartbreaking event.

It takes your breath away. Thankfully they didn’t appear to suffer for long.

I have absolutely no experience in how these demonstrations are flown, but I was there today and the winds were very gusty. I would imagine it could have been very easy to be a few seconds off timing with the winds today.

And while you guys chat about an airshow accident, as sad as it is, few comment on Josh Seagrave’s accident. Ex Army Ranger. Army Ranger parachute trainer. Cub driver. Cub builder. A guy who lived a big life and had more life ahead of him…
I’ll miss him. I already do. The absence of his Cub on the ramp is impossible to overlook. Life isn’t fair. Godspeed, Josh. Thanks for being you.

And while you guys chat about an airshow accident, as sad as it is, few comment on Josh Seagrave’s accident. Ex Army Ranger. Army Ranger parachute trainer. Cub driver. Cub builder. A guy who lived a big life and had more life ahead of him…
I’ll miss him. I already do. The absence of his Cub on the ramp is impossible to overlook. Life isn’t fair. Godspeed, Josh. Thanks for being you.

This one hits me hard too,,, my wife and were just reading his father's tribute. It also got thinking of what would become of those I leave behind if I die in the saddle. My affairs are in order,, I've done my estate planning, have a will, have a plan as not to burden my loved ones and leave them hoping a Go Fund Me will save them. I know that flying comes with risk,, I accept those, I try not to do stupid things, but sometimes still do. If heaven forbid, I end up on this thread,, I say this here, I will have died doing something that gives me great joy. If there is photos and video of it, I hope others could learn from my mistakes and not make the same. This incident only reinforces the lessons I learned in helicopters about route recons and hazard maps. I do this type of flying often, and will be even more cautious. But tomorrow, I'm going flying.....

I read Josh's Dad's Facebook post, hard to read. He must have been in a bank when he hit the line, wing on the opposite side of the river. Friend made that point yesterday as we discussed. I hit a line and was lucky enough to walk away with a broken arm and a fractured jaw. I fly high cover first now.

As for the B17 and P63, very poor visibility from a Kingcobra. There are several videos that show different angles. Look like the Cobra was wider in his turn than the P51 ahead of him. When i attended airshow briefings many years ago they stacked the different types. Bombers at one altitude and fighters at another. Also staggered their track lines. Crowd could not tell from their vantage point.

Sad for sure.

Godspeed, and condolences to family, you and other friends.

Life is not fair, we never know how much time there is left. My brother, a Naval Academy Graduate, had been involved in all sorts of dangerous situations at sea- major drug busts, doing damage assessments on burning/sinking ships, Persian Gulf attacks... only to come back to shore for post grad school at the War College and died in a rugby game while playing with the college team.

No sense to things other than they needed more angels to watch over us that remain.

God Bless

C579003E-0535-4A69-8CB1-AFC08FAEE1E5.jpeg
St Augustine today, anyone know the details. They say the pilot is a okay so that is a big plus for this week.

Attachments

• C579003E-0535-4A69-8CB1-AFC08FAEE1E5.jpeg
    C579003E-0535-4A69-8CB1-AFC08FAEE1E5.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 218
Back