• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

I wonder what that black triangle shape is just ahead of the tear out? An opening which let in a large amount of impact water which ripped out the big square? The shape of the tear out seems to indicate that the large water force came from inside. Did that black triangle open up scooping in water?

In the video (set the playback speed at 0.25 in the lower right under Settings) at 0:11 sec the compromised left float sinks lower than the right and can be seen throwing a large side wake above the surface. The plane then turns sharp left, digs in the right float front, and rolls the right wing down followed by the left. I like Sky's note of the hole in front pressurizing the compartment and blowing out the larger opening. Just a guess of course.

Gary

Grabbed this image;

CEF208A4-BAC0-44F0-BC24-2854B4CB2CDA.jpeg

Attachments

• CEF208A4-BAC0-44F0-BC24-2854B4CB2CDA.jpeg
    CEF208A4-BAC0-44F0-BC24-2854B4CB2CDA.jpeg
    82.7 KB · Views: 420
Based on the violent nature of that video, I am quite surprised and happy they were able to get out.

This type of accident happens all too frequently. If pilots would just observe the refueling operation, I believe 99% of these accidents could be prevented.

Jet fuel is kerosene based not gasoline.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I’m guessing that an 18 year old kid pumping gas for the first time on a flight line wouldn’t know that.

And after 45 years of looking I still haven’t been able to find that bucket of pneumatic fluid or the 20 feet of flight line my sergeant sent me after.

I would not simply accuse an 18YO of being one who might pump wrong fuel. Recently I am seeing more than a few 40 somethings that have no clue what fuel would go in what plane. Around here the payscale is so low that the quality of line workers is not real high above the tarmac.
The 100LL can be self serve which most GA pilots will do for the price break. The Jet A is full serve only which leaves the duty to someone who did not get trained well and may have never been near an airplane anytime in their life. They are here cause it is a job. More than a few of these guys have no clue about what powers a plane and they generally were not outside when the plane taxied in so they never heard what it sounded like. Being there is a very good chance most of these hires might have never had there feet off the ground such as climbing a ladder might not offer them any comfort resulting that they will not go up high enough so they will see the markings around the filler.
Just think, one of these untrained workers being confronted with single point fueling for the first time. To me that is a frightening prospect. It happens.
I see a very high turnover at our local FBO, the girls seem to be much more aware of their duty as well as stay around longer.

Painting with a pretty broad brush here, not all 18 year olds, or 40 year olds, or 60 year olds are the same.. This is a problem as old as when turbines were first introduced. I’m responsible for what fuel is put in my airplane.

Painting with a pretty broad brush here, not all 18 year olds, or 40 year olds, or 60 year olds are the same.. This is a problem as old as when turbines were first introduced. I’m responsible for what fuel is put in my airplane.

Agreed! Big difference between dragging the hose to your own airplane and walking away while 'the truck' comes out and fills it for you.
Way to many human variables in the world. Remember the campaign to remove the 'Turbo' decals from turbocharged piston engine nacelles because it was to much like the word 'turbine'?

Web

Agreed! Big difference between dragging the hose to your own airplane and walking away while 'the truck' comes out and fills it for you.
Way to many human variables in the world. Remember the campaign to remove the 'Turbo' decals from turbocharged piston engine nacelles because it was to much like the word 'turbine'?

Web

Yes, I remember when those decals were being pulled. If I remember correctly, USAIG was providing free 100 octane only fuel port decals as part of that campaign. Humans will always be the biggest variable for sure.

Not exactly a NTSB report but we can learn from other countries as well. The link below is to a Dutch midair between two Supercubs while training for formation flying. Sad and tragic outcome for the pilot and passenger in one of the planes. The picture gives a strong indication as to what happened.

https://www.onderzoeksraad.nl/en/page/14562/mid-air-collision-two-piper-super-cubs-oudemolen-near-willemstad-21

The Dutch accident website is good; easy to navigate and you can subscribe for updates in individual accidents. As a benchmark, it is interesting to see that accidents over 2 to 3 years old can still be in “Investigate” status.

Back