• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

It is interesting this has been on Kathryn's twice and this report and there is very little true information.
There is a mention of radar reported airspeed, but no heading nor altitude change.
I see no information about the engine/ prop. Where was it? As Mike brings up, condition, tell tales of failure. Did it throw a blade? Or was the prop on the engine and intact at impact?
For an NTSB final report that one is rather incomplete to the point it appears they did little to investigate this one.

And another medevac wreck. But with better outcome. https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/P...ngine-failure-on-Christmas-Eve-566493701.html someone forget to check fuel? Leave cap off???

IMG_6157.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Attachments

• IMG_6157.JPG
    IMG_6157.JPG
    114.3 KB · Views: 299
Luuuuky! Long ago near here a Tri pacer was following the highway under some low clouds when the right wing caught the guy wire on a radio station tower. The wire broke off at one end and wrapped itself around the wing. The other end held. End of the road right then and there. I saw him fly by my house about ten minutes before the accident.

I liked when I read about that 172 the other day, He can fly.
Working a gas or oil line alone, writing down his notes and did not see the tower's cable. Flew that 10 miles or so without all the wing. I'd ride with him.

and another medical crash, and it was at unalaska(in route to Adak).....

don't think I'd like being a flight nurse... that's 3 dead, in 3 medivac crashes in a short period of time up here

you may need to disable javascript to get past the paywall... https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/avi...ay-into-water-in-unalaska-all-aboard-rescued/

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/L...eoff-from-the-Unalaska-Airport-567046231.html

I wouldn't want to own one of those outfits and have to pay next year's insurance bill either.....

Terrible deals, when these folks are sincerely trying to assist someone who needs help....

MTV

KTUU link changed

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/LifeMed-medecac-plane-crashes-on-takeoff-from-the-Unalaska-Airport-567046231.html

Imagine if you were the one(s) waiting in Adak for that plane to arrive.....

so 3 crashes since Nov 29 2019 of medivac planes here...

the Irony is the one boat shown "Resolve Marine’s vessel Makushin Bay" "Resolve" is the owner of the plane that landed on the frozen lake a couple weeks ago in last medivac crash.....

anyone here what happened on that? did they get it off the lake??

Last edited:
Isn’t this the same outfit who put a Platus down, gear up just, on a frozen lake.... after departing Koliganek a few weeks ago?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Isn’t this the same outfit who put a Platus down, gear up just, on a frozen lake.... after departing Koliganek a few weeks ago?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

no, different company, first 2 were chartered by medevac Alaska...

but the irony is, the salvage company on this wreck, in the ADN article "resolve marine" owned the Plane that landed the Platus gear up on the frozen lake by Koliganek a couple weeks ago....

Brisk variable winds reported from the east (~1700Z +39F Wind 11015G22)and a NW departure. Big hill nearby to mix things. I'm amazed and thankful they got into a raft and were rescued quickly. The plane will get salvaged.

Edit: And Civil Twilight was around 1830Z/09:30 LCL +- overcast attenuation.

Gary

Last edited:
...Imagine if you were the one(s) waiting in Adak for that plane to arrive.....

I was a passenger in a Stearman crash last year,
took the stick (or something) in the ribs & was in a lotta pain(!).
Medics weren't sure what was damaged so they medivac'd me to Seattle.
First airplane crash, and first helicopter ride.....
That thing was really rattling & shaking,
I couldn't help thinking it'd be a helluva thing to have something come apart & crash a second time.

I was a passenger in a Stearman crash last year,
took the stick (or something) in the ribs & was in a lotta pain(!).
Medics weren't sure what was damaged so they medivac'd me to Seattle.
First airplane crash, and first helicopter ride.....
That thing was really rattling & shaking,
I couldn't help thinking it'd be a helluva thing to have something come apart & crash a second time.

There have been medevacs I'm aware of where the injured person had survivable (but uncomfortable) injuries, but was killed in the ensuing medevac aircraft accident. Bad deal.

MTV

One of the issues with civilian Medevac’s, in my opinion, is when the dispatch and/or flight crew decision making is driven by a “we need to save a life” mindset. Firefighters entering burning buildings, LEO’s running toward gunfire, etc. is NOT the same thing as a medevac flight crew performing their duties. When I was Chief Pilot/DO of a company that did medevac’s, we treated the flight no different than any other charter. It was a struggle due to the extremely competitive nature of Hospitals who would operator shop if we turned down a flight. When you put a crew in a nice looking flight suit with wings, park them in a ready room for 24 hour shifts, give them short windows to be airborne, well you are helping set the stage for some of the problems the industry has experienced. Not throwing darts or implying these men and women aren’t extremely motivated, professional and well intentioned. Just sharing my opinion based on my experience.

KTUU link changed

https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/LifeMed-medecac-plane-crashes-on-takeoff-from-the-Unalaska-Airport-567046231.html

Imagine if you were the one(s) waiting in Adak for that plane to arrive.....

so 3 crashes since Nov 29 2019 of medivac planes here...

the Irony is the one boat shown "Resolve Marine’s vessel Makushin Bay" "Resolve" is the owner of the plane that landed on the frozen lake a couple weeks ago in last medivac crash.....

anyone here what happened on that? did they get it off the lake??

As of last weekend the PC12 was still on the lake. Not sure if anything would have changed since then.

pictures of the plane in water... explains it!

https://www.kucb.org/post/lifemed-plane-still-lingers-unalaska-bay-resolve-marine-prepares-recovery#stream/0

Hmmm delete. New picture out of water proves me wrong....

lifemed_plane_2.jpg

Attachments

• lifemed_plane_2.jpg
    lifemed_plane_2.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 377
Last edited:
Bad days recently.

My kids informed me that Kobe Bryant, his daughter, and potentially 9 total died in an S-76 crash. No link, plenty of media on google.

Aerobatic pilot Steve Andelin, flying a practice routines in a Kirby Chambliss aircraft, impacted the ground killing himself and others on the ground. Nasty Video footage online.

And more close to home, “Little Mark” Nowosielski and Nathan, the son of his twin tiger teammate “Big Mark” Sorenson perished in a crash of a recently purchased mustang II (unverified) from loss of power after takeoff.

https://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/co...nty-officials-say/3LRFQLDYG5DRDM36F7RHMJOPK4/

https://times-herald.com/news/2020/01/plane-crash-kills-two-outside-senoia

Let’s be careful out there. It could happen to you.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
15 months. So either the reported dates are wrong, the repair shop is lying or someone else replaced six cylinders?

Edited content after reading NTSB report.

Sad either way, and as high profile people they’re are plenty of people looking for someone to blame.

Last edited:
So, lets see here a mechanic who worked on that engine in December 2007 is getting sued for a major mistake another shop did when swapping out the cylinders in 2016 or so. WTF? And when calling in the engine failure on departure the controller directed the to an airport well beyond gliding range when the was an airport very near by.
Do you think someone has friends down there?

0839 so should have been light out, wondering if its all trees or not.

NTSB report was focused on ATC not having closest airport data in their system. Also does not discuss open fields or how the impact damage appears to be stall/spin from a low attitude. Emergency call was made at 3900', 4 minutes prior to impact -

AIRPORT INFORMATION
Radar data and voice communications revealed the airplane was traveling on a heading of about 300° when the pilot reported the engine power loss. At that time, GA35 was about 6.5 nautical miles (nm) away on a heading of 174°, which required a 126° left turn to divert to GA35. Radar plots showed that the airplane was able to glide about 6.3 nm after the pilot declared the emergency and made the left turn.
FAA published charts for the area showed that Briggs Field Airport (GA43), Guyton, Georgia, was about 3.4 miles away on a heading of 345° when the pilot reported the engine power loss, which would have required a 45° right turn toward GA43. GA43 was a private airstrip with a 2,300-ft long turf runway. Although GA35 was depicted on the air traffic controller's emergency obstruction video map (EOVM) that was used in handling the accident flight, GA43 was not depicted. The figure shows the positions of the airports relative to the airplane's track.

Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 9.37.20 PM.jpg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 9.37.20 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-01-28 at 9.37.20 PM.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 284
Back