• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

0083B635-9783-4285-B652-3A58252709A8.jpeg970CE555-4388-4EA7-A277-26E371A9562C.jpeg2C34AAEF-3CE5-4008-ADCC-C920B49E7CB1.jpeg
I took these in Aniak, AK last fall on a fishing trip. Happened in the summer with pilot allowing jet fuel to be put in aircraft that needed 100LL. All 4 walked away with one limping. It was a short flight from what the fuel truck operator told me.

Attachments

• 0083B635-9783-4285-B652-3A58252709A8.jpeg
    0083B635-9783-4285-B652-3A58252709A8.jpeg
    151.9 KB · Views: 240
  • 970CE555-4388-4EA7-A277-26E371A9562C.jpeg
    970CE555-4388-4EA7-A277-26E371A9562C.jpeg
    314.8 KB · Views: 248
  • 2C34AAEF-3CE5-4008-ADCC-C920B49E7CB1.jpeg
    2C34AAEF-3CE5-4008-ADCC-C920B49E7CB1.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 263
that picture is worth 1000 words.......

Yep, and the cost of insurance on amphibs just went up again....Ca-Ching! Won’t be long before nobody will be able to afford to insure an amphibious plane. All because pilots get distracted and pretty much ignore all the bells, whistles, Bitching Betty’s, and worst of all, fail miserably in the category of discipline.

Too bad.

MTV

With such precise gps you would think it would be a simple app to make to tell you you are about to crash.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I question if I could ever be safe flying an amphib. I am way to use to "Gear down - before landing check." way too many years, way too many times. The folks who can afford to buy and insure and pleasure fly amphibs probably have the same background

"Now, let me see....this time its water, leave it up. Next time its pavement, put it down, hey look at that pretty bird, and these mountains are awesome.....whats that threat over there I see...gotta watch out for that log, those rocks, wind shear along the cliff there...." is what would lead to a gear down catastrophe. A new environment with an interrupted thought. very sneaky and incidious.

Mirror mirror on the strut, should my gear be down or up?

I think MAYBE if I marked the gear lever as "Water / Pavement" I might catch on after a few errors. We gotta know our own collective limitations, folks. It does no good to send an arrogant message of stupidity. We gotta understand why....why so many. Who's doing it, why are they doing it, Whats going on, what training will prevent it. But for the grace of God, there go I.

Like Mike said - have gps control gear if landing on water or land. Had to post the obvious.

2021-01-24_11-39-14.jpg

Attachments

• 2021-01-24_11-39-14.jpg
    2021-01-24_11-39-14.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 156
I flew a Widgeon, and then spent time with skywagon8a in a Twin Bee when I moved down to New England. Also got my SES in a Lake. Not sure when or who I learned it from, but the call on downwind was ALWAYS “this is a water landing, the wheels are up”, or “this is a land landing the wheels are down”, followed by a double verification of lights and looking at the mirror. After sky checked me out in the Bee, I had to train several of our other corporate department pilots followed by the checkride with sky. My Chief Pilot at the time was a real good stick, the problem was he knew it and he was my boss. He thought the mantra was silly for a guy like him. We’d been doing multiple water landings one day and decided to go to Hampton Airfield for lunch. Downwind, no call and no gear. I let him go till short final and said “say, this might be a good time to put the gear down”. He went around, and after we landed uneventfully we discussed that that landing would have been embarrassing but not fatal. In the water gear down would have been another story.

No amount of technology will prevent this type of accident. The GPS solution was pretty fully vetted and was unable to provide a reliable indication. There are too many scenarios where you are landing on pavement and over the water when the annuciation would be presented, and other times when landing on the water and over land when the annuciation would be presented. This would lead to the exact problem we have now where by the operator choses to pull the Circuit breaker on the system. The latest AGAS system and Laser gear advisory from Wipare makes an improvement on the technology but as long as we have people who dont use checklists we will have accidents.

"Now, let me see....this time its water, leave it up. Next time its pavement, put it down, hey look at that pretty bird, and these mountains are awesome.....whats that threat over there I see...gotta watch out for that log, those rocks, wind shear along the cliff there...." is what would lead to a gear down catastrophe. A new environment with an interrupted thought. very sneaky and incidious.

Mirror mirror on the strut, should my gear be down or up?

I think MAYBE if I marked the gear lever as "Water / Pavement" I might catch on after a few errors. We gotta know our own collective limitations, folks. It does no good to send an arrogant message of stupidity. We gotta understand why....why so many. Who's doing it, why are they doing it, Whats going on, what training will prevent it. But for the grace of God, there go I.

Absolutely on your last statement, but it's not stupidity and it's not arrogance.

Frankly, I think all the bells, whistles, bitching Bettys, etc, etc MAY in fact be counter productive. They give the pilot a false sense of security.

When I started flying an amphib, it was a Beaver. The only gear warning system was a pair of mirrors, one under each wing. The gear system was manual, as in a hydraulic pump, and it took a few pumps to get the gear up or down.

The fellow who checked me out in that plane initially, and a couple other old time Goose pilots who gave me recurrent rides in it, tried REALLY hard to get me to make a mistake with the gear. Like really really hard. Distractions by the dozens, even messing with the gear selector when I wasn't looking, ad nauseum.

By the time they were done with me, I simply couldn't take the gear position for granted, ever.

That's the key: You have to KNOW you're capable of doing it...of making that mistake and landing gear down in the water. You CANNOT tell yourself you'd never do that.....because you could, and you might. I know to this day that I have the capability of doing so....

Those thoughts have to be in the forefront of your mind prior to landing. Passengers talking? Before modern intercoms with the "mute" function arrived, I'd just tell them to please be quiet.

NO distractions, EVER, of any kind. If you get distracted, go around, get it together and do it again.

We used the mirrors because they require you to take an ACTION....you have to move your head, look out the windows, focus on those little mirrors, and make an assessment. No Bitching Betty that's really easy to silence or just ignore.....but doesn't REQUIRE you to do anything.....too easy. Oh, and mirrors seldom fail......electricity take a dump? Mirrors still tell you where the gear's at. Have a failure of some kind? There are failures in some of these systems where a gear can be down, but the gear indicators show UP. Seen one of those on a 206.

Bottom line: Operating an amphibious airplane is easy. And it can be VERY safe. But, it requires one thing of the pilot: Discipline. EVERY landing, no exceptions.

When Jack Corey finished checking me out in that Beaver, he told me: "You're a little paranoid about that landing gear. And, that son, is a very good thing-don't ever lose that paranoia".

Many years later, I did a SES with a good friend in a Cub on amphibs. I thought we did a good job. Months later, he called me one day, he'd been taking his young grand daughter for a short hop in his Cub on amphibs. Just take off from the airport, a mile or so to a big lake, and land in the water.....all the while talking to this young lady about the magic of flying-her first ever flight in a plane. You can guess the rest. Fortunately, they were in relatively shallow water, and he was able to get out and help the girl out.

So, I failed him as an instructor pilot....I failed to instill that bit of paranoia in him that Jack had put firmly in my head. I felt terrible, and still do. I can't imagine this gentleman's horror after committing that error. And, yes, he had a gear indicator system, with all the bells and whistles, and he managed to ignore it.

MTV

Last edited:
The laser system is not foolproof, either. One of our local lakes is so muddy it routinely mistakes water for land.

All very sobering. Makes me appreciate a guy I know who flies an amphibious Kodiak as well as his wheels-only PA-12.

Even in the PA 12 he always calls out, "land landing, wheels down."

He doesn't care what anyone thinks....

All very sobering. Makes me appreciate a guy I know who flies an amphibious Kodiak as well as his wheels-only PA-12.

One of our pilots forgot we put the 185 back on wheels from floats, he called king salmon tower “56j blah blah, for the river at king salmon... the tower guy just replied “well this is going to be interesting...” then reminded him he was on wheels

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

And that’s a guy who’s setting himself up for....what? It becomes a “nothing call” on wheels, and if you play that game sooner or later, you’ll get them mixed up.

Discipline, not rote. Geeez!

MTV

Well, I’ve always used GUMPS in fixed gear airplane.

Me too. Gear: down and welded, tires not flat, brake pressure both sides....

Now this time a year, wheel skis, select for correct surface skis up or down, fully retracted or fully out both sides, tires turning as skis actuate, valve in full detention, plus brake pressure and tires not flat. Lots of visual confirmation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Don't get too ahead of yourself on the Husky accident. The flight of the airplane according to flight aware was approximately one minute off of a paved runway. If there was an engine issue he may not have time to get the gear up before hitting the water.

And that’s a guy who’s setting himself up for....what? It becomes a “nothing call” on wheels, and if you play that game sooner or later, you’ll get them mixed up.

Discipline, not rote. Geeez!

MTV

LOL. Well, like I said, he doesn't care.

I do remember him looking out the windows to make sure the wheels were on, though.

Don't get too ahead of yourself on the Husky accident. The flight of the airplane according to flight aware was approximately one minute off of a paved runway. If there was an engine issue he may not have time to get the gear up before hitting the water.

A paved runway....is how long? A Husky, even on floats, should be airborne in what..seven hundred feet?

One thing I’ve ALWAYS done on amphibs: Lift off, positive rate-gear is coming up....right now. For this reason. If you get a weird big sink, worst case, you touch on the keels, not a huge deal.....but, water just off the end....gear is up and housed...

Sorry, folks, this stuff is going to make amphibious floats impossible to insure.

Ask Lake Aircraft how that works. They were able to overcome their problem (wasn’t people landing gear down on water) and develop mandatory training programs. But, all the hundreds of thousands of $$ spent on gadgets, and we’re still doing this....regularly.

MTV

the engine is ALWAYS just about to quit...... plan accordingly...

One of the best statements here:

NO distractions, EVER, of any kind. If you get distracted, go around, get it together and do it again.

I use the Gump check- and adapt to the plane. Undercarriage- water rudders up for floats, Gear selected proper- (four blue for water, four brown for land and count them, mirror check and count tires) for amphibious; Tires still inflated for strait wheels.

If things happen on any retractable gear plane and I initiate a go-around, I go around the patch and come back. The amphibious planes when treated like the complex plane they are, can be safe, but take the time to do your Gump Check more than once, and don't short cut.

How do you determine the tires are inflated? My truck and car have a pressure readout for each tire. Is this system available for planes now?

Perhaps....here's an example product > https://tsttruck.com They offer external caps attached to the valve stem, flow through caps, internal sensors (tubeless) and whatever. There's a remote receiver and the pressure-temperature value range is programmable. Do they work on aircraft?

Gary

A C170A went missing last week and is presumed crashed in the Strait of Juan de Fuca south of Vancouver island BC.
It was on a flight from Ketchikan non-stop to Pt Angeles WA-- just over 600 miles.
That's really stretching it with stock 42 gallon tanks, even with calm winds & no detouring.
The general consensus here is that it ran out of fuel, pretty much within sight of Pt Angeles.
So close and yet so far.....very sad.
My takeaway from this is don't stretch your fuel:
"when in doubt...don't".

Kathryn's Report: Cessna 170A, N9114A: Fatal accident occurred in Port Angeles, Washington

This has been discussed a bit on the 170 Association forum. Some speculation that the pilot was hesitant to stop anywhere in Canada due to some legal issues in his background. In any case better to be in trouble and alive.

Rich.

Back