• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

He got his third class when he was younger than 40 and in October. Of 2015. Isn’t that good for five years? If so March of 2020 is less than 5 years. Disclaimer. I don’t pay attention to these duration things so much, so I’m probably wrong.

Rich
You are exactly right. Medical expired fall of 2020. 5yr, under 40 deal.

No clapping here. I'm sad to see any airplane get bent but I'm always pleased when nobody gets hurt. Good luck with the repairs.

Last edited:
No clapping here. I'm sad to see any airplane get bent but I'm always pleased when nobody gets hurt. Good luck with the repairs.
Thanks. It was ready to go last summer. Robbie Staton (Airtech) was the one that built it and repaired it. He bent over backwards to get it back to me as I work out of it.
This is from Arkanstol last fall. It’s still missing the abrasion tape on the replaced strut......
c47024b5-d51f-45da-8e5f-0285b1c386c1
5A9DF5C0-B5AE-4C56-BA91-E1BEB4921A96.jpg

Attachments

• 5A9DF5C0-B5AE-4C56-BA91-E1BEB4921A96.jpg
    5A9DF5C0-B5AE-4C56-BA91-E1BEB4921A96.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 250
So flew the cruiser for the fourth or fifth time today since our extensive annual. Had the throttle jam on me at about 50% power on takeoff but got it to clear. It happened again, so returned to the hangar. Got out and oil was dripping like crazy out of the lower cowling. I had dollar signs spinning in my head as I un-cowled. Looking at the engine it was dry as a bone but the lower cowling was covered. Then I saw the scat tube I had failed to re-attach when I put the cowling on the night before. It had alternately jammed the throttle linkage as well as pushed up on my oil quick drain, bleeding oil onto the cowling. Luckily I only lost a quart.... lesson learned the hard way as usual. Glad I got away with a dirty belly and a quart of oil...

Thanks for posting that. I just finished the annual on my 170. First flight yesterday. Always has me spring loaded. When the Piper Arrow first came out there was an issue that the nose gear would open the quick drain when gear went up. I think it had to do with a hose being permanently installed on the drain.

Rich

Yes, thanks for sharing your oops. I’ve seen some who leave a short piece of drain hose attached to the quick drain for easier oil change. Saw one that was rubbing on lower cowl lip and managed to unseat and drain most of the oil on a short flight.

Yes, thanks for sharing your oops. I’ve seen some who leave a short piece of drain hose attached to the quick drain for easier oil change. Saw one that was rubbing on lower cowl lip and managed to unseat and drain most of the oil on a short flight.
And there have been some which came from the factory with a hole in the cowl where the hose sticks out for just the purpose of conveniently draining the oil. Tri-Pacer or Colt? I can't remember which.

Those quick push to open drains are dangerous. The cost more ones that first require a side twist are safer.

Gary

Few years back customer had a drain valve fall out of his Cherokee on a factory reman engine...In flight, landed on our strip.. spun a rod bearing and wiped out the camshaft... We bought the airplane, overhauled the engine, flew it for a few years then sold it...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Few years back customer had a drain valve fall out of his Cherokee on a factory reman engine...In flight, landed on our strip.. spun a rod bearing and wiped out the camshaft... We bought the airplane, overhauled the engine, flew it for a few years then sold it...

Brian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Safety wire??

IDENTIFICATION
Date: 29-MAR-21
Time: 00:30:00Z
Regis#: N1968P
Aircraft Make: PIPER
Aircraft Model: PA18
Event Type: INCIDENT
Highest Injury: UNKNOWN
Aircraft Missing: No
Damage: UNKNOWN
State: ALASKA
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT LOST POWER ON APPROACH TO LAKE HOOD AND LANDED ON A ROAD AND HIT A LIGHT POILE, ANCHORAGE, AK.
INJURY DATA
Total Fatal: 0
Fatal Serious Minor None Unknown
Flight Crew 0 0 0 0 1
Cabin Crew 0 0 0 0 0
Passenger 0 0 0 0 0
Ground 0 0 0 0 0
OTHER
Activity: PERSONAL
Flight Phase: APPROACH (APR)
Operation: 91
Aircraft Operator:
Flight Number:
FAA FSDO: ANCHORAGE FSDO
Entry Date: 29-MAR-21
Updated since entry: No

Attachments

• Supercub crash in Anchorage.jpg
    Supercub crash in Anchorage.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 292
IDENTIFICATION
Date: 29-MAR-21
Time: 00:30:00Z
Regis#: N1968P
Aircraft Make: PIPER
Aircraft Model: PA18
Event Type: INCIDENT
Highest Injury: UNKNOWN
Aircraft Missing: No
Damage: UNKNOWN
State: ALASKA
DESCRIPTION
Description: AIRCRAFT LOST POWER ON APPROACH TO LAKE HOOD AND LANDED ON A ROAD AND HIT A LIGHT POILE, ANCHORAGE, AK.
INJURY DATA
Total Fatal: 0
Fatal Serious Minor None Unknown
Flight Crew 0 0 0 0 1
Cabin Crew 0 0 0 0 0
Passenger 0 0 0 0 0
Ground 0 0 0 0 0
OTHER
Activity: PERSONAL
Flight Phase: APPROACH (APR)
Operation: 91
Aircraft Operator:
Flight Number:
FAA FSDO: ANCHORAGE FSDO
Entry Date: 29-MAR-21
Updated since entry: No

He did good getting that down in that neighborhood without getting hurt or hurting anyone else.

MTV

The video from the ring cam on that house is pretty impressive. The plane hit a tree and did spinning front flip before impacting that bank. Goes to show how crash worthy these old cubs are.

The video from the ring cam on that house is pretty impressive. The plane hit a tree and did spinning front flip before impacting that bank. Goes to show how crash worthy these old cubs are.

Video? I did not see that listed.

Can you give a link?

Wasn’t that a raffle airplane a few years back built by Airframes Alaska? I really liked that airplane, I think it was the best raffle cub so far.

Kurt

Back