• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

No mystery at Arecibo...it was talking to them and they knew it was just a matter of time> https://www.space.com/arecibo-telescope-suffers-more-damage-cable-failure

The UAV and camera setup were there for a good reason.

Radio astronomer Rich Strand KL7RA (SK) from the local Gilmore Tracking Station went there several times and talked about its benefits. Lots of corrosion in that country. The surrounding hills protected the dish set in the depression from local interference on the frequencies of interest.

Gary
From what I read they knew very well about the cables pending failure from corrosion. They had been painting the outside of the cables for years. Nowhere have I read that they had been applying any penetrating rust prevention into the cables.

TROUBLE IN PARADISE
Was not sure where to post this; it is concerning a few accidents so I decided here. It is not particularly about Cubs and STOL fixed wing aircraft but it is so alarming, I thought I would pass it on. I realize we are a small speck of aviation in a big world, but it should be disturbing to anyone in this Country involved with aviation and therefore the FAA. Here is the link to the article. Unfortunately it is all true and correct.

https://verticalmag.com/news/novictor-helicopters-senate-report-faa-oversight/

Couldn’t figure out how to link to the post. So I screenshoted it

Impressive! Someone caught the edge of landing area...

IMG_1842.JPG

IMG_1846.JPG

IMG_1845.JPG

IMG_1844.JPG

IMG_1843.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    236.3 KB · Views: 395
  • IMG_1846.JPG
    IMG_1846.JPG
    329.6 KB · Views: 310
  • IMG_1845.JPG
    IMG_1845.JPG
    381.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_1844.JPG
    IMG_1844.JPG
    314.4 KB · Views: 272
  • IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    440.6 KB · Views: 248
I saw that a day ago, didn't even hurt the prop, other than the gearbox the plane is possibly unharmed.

I saw that a day ago, didn't even hurt the prop, other than the gearbox the plane is possibly unharmed.

Easy rebuild, since they still make parts for them.

Probably easily ferriable.

Bolt that gear to some long bars and strap the bars on, no brakes allowed.

Might need to bridge the gap which formerly had a gear box...

Might be some cables that ran through gear box that need attention?? I don’t speak carivan....

The carivan reminds me of our 185 with the gear knocked off. Stepfather said it needed both outer gear shoes. When I asked if we needed a tripod to lift it to get gear back installed, he said put in the gear shoes, then dig pits to make room at reinstall gear & wheels. Then you put a little dirt in front of tire, roll it up on that... then throw a little behind, roll it back onto that. Repeat 1000 times and done. But my step brother and I decided to tip plane to one wing tip and shovel sand under then piece of plywood under belly... repeat other way. till that got scary .,. Then we went with the dig hole method. Got the job done. Only there 2 nights total. I had pneumonia for that fun event.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Cool story. I hadn't seen it before so I did some early morning reading about it. That old DC-3 has had some serious money spent on it. I wonder what the recovery cost?
Think about it from a business perspective. The insurance company likely just wants it off their books so sell the salvage for $1. The salvage people are in the airplane business so get a good start on a turbine DC-3 which is worth $1.5 million or more. I can't speak to a DC-3 salvage in the Antarctic, though I have recovered a "totaled" (by insurance standards) airplane from a remote island from which it had to be removed. Just a few hours work and it was flown home. No more than half a day's work and a "free" airplane.

Watching that video of them in Antarctica driving that DC-3 out of the hole made me think of it.. Good times!

Ya, even if iPhones and video recorders were plentiful back in the day, I wouldn’t have been recording and posting the stuff we did. At least I don’t think I would have....

I always considered the ferry photos part of my resume and then the rebuilds of them.... not afraid to share. I enjoy seeing what others had accomplished like this.

I always considered the ferry photos part of my resume and then the rebuilds of them.... not afraid to share. I enjoy seeing what others had accomplished like this

I get it, and I enjoy others work too. Just don’t want the evidence out there on some of the stuff I did....

I wonder if they branded this T craft too?

From the FAA preliminary reports.

Description:AIRCRAFT WAS BEING PROP STARTED AND GOT AWAY GOING IN CIRCLES AND PILOT WAS DRAGGED. TWO FARM TRUCKS ATTEMPTED A VEHICHLE RODEO AND SUCESSFULLY LASSOED THE AIRCRAFT, LEXINGTON, OR.
Rich

Back