• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

Rich, Where is his hangar? The only one I know of in that area is on the north shore of Manhasset Bay where there used to be a Widgeon just to the west of John O'Neil's seaplane base.

Pete
Im not exactly sure as my knowledge of Queens geography is nil. The news story said the accident was several blocks from his house. I’ll try to find that article and post a link.

Rich
From the NY Post. “The pilot, Joe Oppedisano, “was going up to Maine for lunch with friends of his” before the fatal Sunday crash near the Throgs Neck Bridge in Whitestone, the close pal said outside Oppedisano’s waterfront home on Riverside Drive.”

Thanks, I find the history of aviation on Long Island fascinating. Over the decades there have been many aviation activities scattered along the entire Island. Land and seaplanes of all sorts have plied the skies making history. Many books have been written, and much of the evidence is still hidden away.

I think I’ve read every book written about LI Aviation.
The pilot’s address of Riverside Dr looks to be just west of the south tower of the Throgs Neck Bridge.

Rich

I think I found the crash site at the end of 158th street. I do not see a hangar. There is a possible ramp near 161st street by a swimming pool.

I think I found the crash site at the end of 158th street. I do not see a hangar. There is a possible ramp near 161st street by a swimming pool.
A friend spoke with the male passenger yesterday. He is doing better and the pilot/owner is off the critical list. The passenger is also a pilot but I’m not sure if he is float rated. They know what happened. A freak set of circumstances. I don’t think it appropriate to relate here. The investigation will make the cause clear.

Rich

kathryns report seems to be hacked.
I was looking to get in some of my morning reading before the 8hr IA refresher course gets underway. It opens to some blogger page that says I am not invited, yet I am registered.

It's happened before. Maybe the author is taking a break from maintaining the site. Then suddenly it returns to regular format.

Gary

I find the final resting spot of this incident interesting.
To have such a clean fuselage separation, I am assuming the speed had bled off a bit, and perhaps then the stab hooked the tree and “popped” the fuselage in two right at a bulkhead rivet line where all the skins had a common joint. Seems odd the mfg would do that.

“Animal Collision...
(16/October/2020)
- Brazil [emoji1054] :
An Embraer EMB-720D Minuano, owned by Ortiz Aerotáxi, registration PT-RPU, struck a cow during an attempted takeoff from an improvised runway in Jordão, Acre, Brazil.
The airplane broke in half and the two people onboard were not injured. The cow died on impact.”

IMG_1943.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Attachments

• IMG_1943.JPG
    IMG_1943.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 320
  • IMG_1944.JPG
    IMG_1944.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_1945.JPG
    IMG_1945.JPG
    98 KB · Views: 326
Note the elt antenna is located across a seam and was disconnected in the crash. Good example of why instructions forbid you doing this.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I find the final resting spot of this incident interesting.
To have such a clean fuselage separation, I am assuming the speed had bled off a bit, and perhaps then the stab hooked the tree and “popped” the fuselage in two right at a bulkhead rivet line where all the skins had a common joint. Seems odd the mfg would do that.

“Animal Collision...
(16/October/2020)
- Brazil [emoji1054] :
An Embraer EMB-720D Minuano, owned by Ortiz Aerotáxi, registration PT-RPU, struck a cow during an attempted takeoff from an improvised runway in Jordão, Acre, Brazil.
The airplane broke in half and the two people onboard were not injured. The cow died on impact.”

View attachment 51706
View attachment 51707
View attachment 51708

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers...

Had no idea Embraer built PA-32 series planes under License from Piper. Learn something new everyday.

Check your planes in Anchorage area. I won’t post a photo as owner may not know yet but there’s a (once) real nice PA-18 totally twisted and up against fence at Merrill Field gravel strip 05/23.

Broke loose and went flipping across the ramp like a Pamper blowing out of a village landfill until fence stopped it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back