• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

I've got a neighbor (Ed) who's known to shoot at folks who get too close to his place. Hasn't hit anybody so far as I know, but this county is special so you can't really be sure. But he's about 5 miles off the end of the runway - uphill - so I haven't had to go out of my way to avoid him so far. But since one well placed bullet can be a bummer I will continue to avoid him when I can.

But in civilization where y'all live, getting shot at ain't cool. Something needs to happen about that. I was not happy to see that the FAA had suspended their investigation - and apparently the FBI was not involved. I was of the understanding that any crime committed on a civil registered aircraft was a federal offense. I think the FBI ought to be out there working it hard. Folks shooting at other folks for no reason should not be tolerated!

- and apparently the FBI was not involved. I was of the understanding that any crime committed on a civil registered aircraft was a federal offense. I think the FBI ought to be out there working it hard. Folks shooting at other folks for no reason should not be tolerated!
That has always been my understanding as well. Though in practice the FBI runs the other way. I had an incident when a passenger was out of control harassing other passengers. The cabin crew could not control him, so I made an emergency enroute landing having the police meet the plane. (I heard from a friend the incident was on the national news.:smile:) The FBI showed up to interview passengers, but beyond that they did nothing. I actually kicked the FBI agent off the plane because he was wasting our time. The local police arrested the unruly passengers and placed him in jail for a week. I have a cousin in law who was an FBI agent, he looked into the case for me. He is the one who told me the FBI did nothing and the local police did their deed.
It's a long story not worth repeating here.

When I was a kid in CAP, one of the guys in my squadron was at solo encampment in Waseca Mn and his CFI got shot by a .22 thru the door, cut him up the rib cage but didn’t penetrate. Lots of blood. Landed no problem.

One of the old LtCols in my first C130 unit used to fly the Goodyear blimp. Said they found arrows in it more often than you would think.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Very sorry to all for the loss. It appears they are suggesting the right wing as an initial failure point (possibly among others like the empennage). It was a replacement wing and had been repaired and modified via STC. Now they'll likely run the metallurgy tests to look for prior stress.

Gary

Very sorry to all for the loss. It appears they are suggesting the right wing as an initial failure point (possibly among others like the empennage). It was a replacement wing and had been repaired and modified via STC. Now they'll likely run the metallurgy tests to look for prior stress.

Gary

The thing that haunts me is the right and left elevators jammed in opposite directions. And the torquing of the empennage.

Could a wing separation do that? I have no idea.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Read Docket Item #1 for airframe description and pictures: https://data.ntsb.gov/Docket?ProjectID=102605

Note:
"The outboard half of the right aileron from WS 154 to WS 208 separated from the airplane and was found in the debris field. The balance weights remained attached. There was a section of the aileron upper skin missing between WS 188 and 198 that was attached to the outboard aft wing piece"

"The right and left trim actuators were separated from the lower surface of the horizontal stabilizer. The attach bolts were intact and installed in the trim actuators and the brackets were deformed and fractured consistent with upward movement of the leading edge of the horizontal stabilizer relative to the actuators"

"The right elevator torque tube flange was fractured and separated from the center bell crank with torsional deformation consistent with the right elevator deflected trailing edge up with respect to the left elevator"

At the end of flight the aircraft in a right turn descent may have closely met Vno (139 KIAS) and approached Vne (160 KIAS) with the Landes LW-3600 wheel penetration skis installed. Those limits are applied because that model of ski has been known to potentially stretch the bungees and extend down causing excessive drag and control issues.

Now the why may be found.

Gary

Last edited:
Any guess who this is? How many 87 year old gals are CFI's who fly around in T-carts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Type: Aircraft Crash

Dispatch Text:
On May 16, 2022, at 4:55 pm, the Alaska State Troopers were notified of a plane crash near the Goose Bay Airport. Alaska State Troopers and Alaska Wildlife Troopers responded to the area and located a 1978 Taylorcraft F-19 overturned in the mudflats east of the Goose Bay Airport. Both the pilot, a 33-year-old female, and the passenger, an 87-year-old female who was also a certified flight instructor, were able to evacuate the plane after it crashed and were walking toward the shore. The Central Mat-Su Fire Department performed a high-angle rope rescue to safely hoist the passenger from the mudflats. The pilot, with the assistance of some good samaritans, was able to hike to a landing near the airport. The pilot departed the scene without requiring medical treatment, and the passenger was transported to a Mat-Su area hospital for minor injuries. The NTSB was notified of the crash. The plane was carried out with the tide and has not been recovered.

Posted on 5/17/2022 8:22:40 AM by DPS\ajmcdaniel

How is it that nobody wants to work for the FAA 🤷*♀️

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

<strong>Any guess who this is? How many 87 year old gals are CFI's who fly around in T-carts.<br>
<br>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~</strong><br>
Posted on 5/17/2022 8:22:40 AM by DPS\ajmcdaniel

Heidi ?

Attachments

• 5H6KNKC6YFBW3MIMUMN5SWFPZ4.jpg
    5H6KNKC6YFBW3MIMUMN5SWFPZ4.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
Terrible news from the Mayday Stol event.

http://waynedailynews.com/local-news/mayday-stol-friday-event-canceled-due-to-on-site-incident/

Not much info coming out of the STOL accident. Any more news?

I read a Facebook post from a fellow that said he saw the accident. He said that the winds were too strong for STOL drag, so a decision was made to do a regular STOL competition. The accident pilot appeared to stall/spin on final, he did not survive.

Word I got was he got to close to the airplane in front of him, slowed down to give himself spacing and stalled and spun. From experience I tend to give the guy in front of me a lot a room. Might stem from the mid-air I was in which was propagated by two airplanes getting to close to each other on short final while in trail.

From a text I received:
News reports that it occurred during the STOL Drag races are not accurate. STOL Drag couldn’t run because of windy conditions in excess of the race op limits, and had concluded operations for the day.

Because of this, there was a impromptu traditional STOL competition organized by the pilots.

During that unsanctioned event, a Cessna 140 flown by Tom Dafoe got too slow and stalled from about 400’ altitude, approximately 3/4 on a mile from the end of the runway. He was killed in the accident.

My understanding is there was no safety briefing, no air boss, no separation control, which resulted in multiple airplanes on final, and it’s likely he had to get way slow trying not to overrun the aircraft ahead of him. That may have been a significant contributing factor.

It’s very sad, and possibly was preventable.
32.png

Accident is at the 12:15 mark.

Had that happen once...flew into my wake circling a radio tagged fish in winter but at 1000'. The plane rolled off and down. We were passengers for a few moments. Opposite rudder had little effect until we flow out of our vortex.

Gary

I have no idea what happened, but I’ll say it anyway- these ridiculous STOL drag things or whatever they are need to go...

I have no interest in them myself, but no one is holding a gun to the head of those who do choose to participate, still a free country.

I am not really convinced that stol drag had anything to do with it. We have mishaps every year at Oshkosh, Sun&Fun, Johnson Creek, etc. Any place there’s a fly-in there is the possibility of a mishap. My sincere condolences to family and friends left behind.

Bill

Back