• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

After their first failure there would have been good reason for practicing the empty tank transfer procedure far above a big runway before leaving land.

Gary

This pilot is from nearby Idaho Falls, and though I don't know him, he makes me proud, great job! I like the part where he complains about the rumble strips being the roughest part, and the help from a motorist behind him. That motorist deserves a award of some kind, wonder if he was a pilot? And the tone of this article is positive overall, not needlessly sensationalized, no "lucky to be alive" BS.
https://www.ksl.com/article/5006179...g-on-utah-freeway--with-no-injuries-or-damage

This pilot is from nearby Idaho Falls, and though I don't know him, he makes me proud, great job! I like the part where he complains about the rumble strips being the roughest part, and the help from a motorist behind him. That motorist deserves a award of some kind, wonder if he was a pilot? And the tone of this article is positive overall, not needlessly sensationalized, no "lucky to be alive" BS.
https://www.ksl.com/article/5006179...g-on-utah-freeway--with-no-injuries-or-damage

Drove past that plane twice yesterday on a trip into SLC, on the way back they had the trailer there and the wings removed.

An AP/IA friend of mine flies both NG and Legacy -47 PC-12 / he commented: "A air restart may not go well with stupid modern FADEC...I like old reliable mechanical fuel control."

He dang sure didn’t have his drug mixture right the goofy dumb s..t

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Drug problems... to much or not enough.

From a security standpoint, leaving him up there for 45 minutes was crazy. He could have done a lot of damage in that time frame and to a plane loaded with pax. Could someone with a law enforcement background tell me the legal/procedural reasoning for not just pulling him down right away?

Web

It’s curious how he got out on the ramp in a high security airport

Reported that he climbed up the front side of the wing, maybe via engine cowl?
As far as the 45 min. The country is undergoing a shift to “re imagine” police tactics, a new hands off way of dealing in these situations.
They’ll probably still get blamed for his injuries when he fell though.

A couple well placed rubber bullets would have brought him down sooner. Or a cowboy with a lasso.

I’m with Web.....start the takeoff roll and bet on what speed he falls off. He gets bonus points if he’s still on at rotation.

One network used it as a lead in, calling it "a dangerous situation at a major airport." Not to me, or the people in the plane, or LEO, just the tarmac when the dummy fell off that obviously unclimbable winglet. I wish Joe Clark was still around to have seen that.

Almost as old as airplanes themselves. Read “Gyro!”, the story of Lawrence Sperry. In 1915 he was “training” his socialite friend whose husband was volunteering as an ambulance driver in France. The airplane was equipped with a prototype “self stabilization system”. The plane crashed into the Great South Bay off Bayshore, Long Island. When duck hunters went to their aid, they found “The force of the crash had divested them of their clothing” as reported in The NY Times. They were not otherwise harmed. :)

Rich

I've got the book! As I recall it was a buddy of his who years later, after Sperry had passed, recounted the true story of how they "were divested of their clothing." He was probably the first member, at least in a fixed wing, of the Mile High club.

Back