• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

Mike notes an interesting often forgotten procedure.....when's the last time an instructor pulled the power or declared an emergency during takeoff? I see it often for multi types practicing, but rarely for singles land or sea. Might be something to renew in our tool kit.

Gary

I had come to expect it in BFRs until the 90s. Not since.

There is YouTube video of Dale Snodgrass’s departure crash online now. (Lewiston, Idaho airport footage)

It’s tragic and hard to watch the aftermath. I specifically am not posting it here and I suggest you don’t watch with family members.

I still believe it was a mechanical issue - elevator lock or some pitch up moment he could not overcome prior to the stall and torque roll into the ground.

Edit :
Training is deep with pilots. I actually think he was yelling “eject, eject” on the com as it rolled in, reverting to his historical baseline training. I could be misinterpreting the audio as well.

I also think it was a survivable impact with a 5 point harness. The combination of impact, fire and response time was not survivable.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I saw it too and agree with you. It looks like jammed controls for some reason.

When I first heard the recording, I though I heard "check, check," not expletives. Maybe you are right about that too.

Mike notes an interesting often forgotten procedure.....when's the last time an instructor pulled the power or declared an emergency during takeoff? I see it often for multi types practicing, but rarely for singles land or sea. Might be something to renew in our tool kit.

Gary

Every flight review I administer includes a power failure on departure - single-engine land or sea.

Daryl

Without an "abort tool" previously experienced and/or practiced it probably takes too long to acknowledge and correct when it occurs. There's that deer in the headlights moment we've all experienced. I ride motorcycles to maintain awareness and deal with the potential killers that ride in cages. Not that easy to maintain proficiency in aircraft if it's never demonstrated.

Gary

I have no info on the event, but as an experienced boater and WaterSports enthusiast, kayaks are virtually invisible on the water.
I don’t care what color you paint it, even a sharp eye will miss one occasionally, particularly if they are being quiet.
Every kayak should have a “bike flag” at a minimum sticking 6 feet above the water.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

When I was based on Auke Lake in Juneau, I had to dodge kayaks all the time. As I warmed up my engine they would all be packed together, when I would make my final turn to line up for take off they would spread out blocking much of my take off area- same went for landing, the idiots would always paddle right into my path or spread out to make sure one was in danger.

Jet ski guys- they would see me circle and then cluster together and stop until I landed... go figure.

Hi Eric, hope all is well.

A Mooney was involved in a multiple fatality accident a few days ago in Minnesota, I think. Here’s a pic of the plane in the moment before it impacted the ground. Structural failure is scary. I wonder what’ll become of this.

Attachments

• 0B05E724-E950-406A-9B97-B811523FE946.jpeg
    0B05E724-E950-406A-9B97-B811523FE946.jpeg
    93 KB · Views: 215
Extensive discussion on Beechtalk about this. Left horizontal stab and elevator found a block away. Unstabilized instrument approach. One speculation is over stress when breaking out in an unusual attitude at high speed.

Others speculate failed wing spar, but most likely that was the second failure after the tail.

Bad deal, whatever happened. There have been reports of wing spar corrosion in a few mooneys, found during inspection. These were planes poorly maintained sitting outside for long periods. The thread over there has no examples of in flight spar failures due to corrosion and there are pages and pages of comments from a lot of knowledgeable people.

Rich

There have been reports of wing spar corrosion in a few mooneys, found during inspection. These were planes poorly maintained sitting outside for long periods. The thread over there has no examples of in flight spar failures due to corrosion and there are pages and pages of comments from a lot of knowledgeable people.

Rich

This was a nearly new "M" model with a low hr 72YO doctor at the helm in IMC who liked to fly up high. He was 10 miles out so he obviously was not real high up when he lost control. To me there is little chance to blame the plane for this one.

Not a bad idea to have a G-meter in a slippery plane subject to quick speed and descent. Assumes there's someone onboard capable of reading and interpreting it along with those terminator lines on the airspeed.

Gary

If someone was having difficulty with basic aircraft control while in the clouds, giving them something else to look at and try to interpret isn’t likely to help. Sometimes more isn’t better, it’s just more.

^^^^ Yes - it all assumes the ability to multi-task which diminishes with age. Unfortunately the older we get the better we are (or even were) may not apply.

Gary

That Mooney will fly itself in the clouds, it will climb, descend turn whatever it is asked to do. All the pilot has to do is touch a button once in awhile. To spiral out of a cloud with any of the cruising planes is a total failure of the command to guide the craft. No value in a G meter, you should never generate a recordable number when flying. With most any handheld device as well as what he had in the panel most all the weather to be avoided is displayed.
It will be interesting to learn how this guy found a way to fold up his nearly new airplane. All I can figure is, at 10 miles out he was trying to hand fly the approach which should have been doable on autopilot still. Possibly there was a procedure turn he was hand flying and botched that up.

That Mooney will fly itself in the clouds, it will climb, descend turn whatever it is asked to do. All the pilot has to do is touch a button once in awhile. To spiral out of a cloud with any of the cruising planes is a total failure of the command to guide the craft. No value in a G meter, you should never generate a recordable number when flying. With most any handheld device as well as what he had in the panel most all the weather to be avoided is displayed.
It will be interesting to learn how this guy found a way to fold up his nearly new airplane. All I can figure is, at 10 miles out he was trying to hand fly the approach which should have been doable on autopilot still. Possibly there was a procedure turn he was hand flying and botched that up.

You make hand flying in clouds sound like a crime. If you can’t hand fly an airplane through ANY instrument procedure, you probably shouldn’t be flying in cloud.

MTV

No value in a G meter, you should never generate a recordable number when flying.

What do you mean by "a recordable number". The G meter always reads some value and, if it is linked to a recording system, all values are recorded. I agree that a knowledge of normal acceleration (G) is not useful for aircraft control in IMC.

If this was a recent model Mooney it will likely have been fitted with a "glass panel" which will have recorded multiple parameters to probably 1 second resolution. It shouldn't be difficult for the investigation team to determine the sequence of events.

The images I saw of this plane looked like a single display in the center stack, otherwise round gauges.
I agree about hand flying in clouds but that is where many of the issues can rear their head and this guy was claimed to not be a high hour pilot. But in my opinion hours flown does not guarantee competency if the person has very few hands on hours especially in the soup.

This plane was visually reported to have come out of the cloud in a steep banked turn, initiated a steep pull out which broke the main spar. To the best of my knowledge only one other Mooney spar has been broken in recent years. These planes are not known to break up.

A Mooney was involved in a multiple fatality accident a few days ago in Minnesota

The ADS-B data for the final few minutes of this flight is very disturbing. Shortly after intercepting what appears to be an approach for runway 10L or 10R at KFCM the data shows a descent rate of about 3,000 fpm, followed by a climb at about 2,000 fpm, then another 3,000 fpm descent, then a 3,000 fpm climb. The log ends with over 11,000 fpm descent rate indicated.

Last edited:
I don’t like to talk about this stuff until everything is known, but it appears there is not a lot of mystery here. Any GA airplane can be pushed beyond design limits with predictable results. You have to be able to competently hand fly an aircraft in IMC if you intend to operate in the clouds. Automation has become an issue across the aviation spectrum as too many rely on it in lieu of pilot competence. I saw this frequently when performing pre-employment simulator evaluations on professional pilots. And as a side note, our jets had g-meters that only displayed on the ground to measure acceleration and deceleration during operations on contaminated runways. Your butt will easily tell you all you need to know once airborne.

The ADS-B data for the final few minutes of this flight is very disturbing.

As an instrument rated pilot I try to learn all I can from the mistakes made by others.

The first sign of loss of control happens almost exactly 10 nm out with a left turn and a 3,000 fpm descent. The IAF for RNAV 10L has a left procedure turn which is not required for the heading that was being flown. I speculate that the AP was engaged and tried to fly the procedure turn.

Anyone who flies with an autopilot must expect it to misbehave and must be able to take over control after disconnect. It's one thing to be legally instrument current, quite another to be instrument proficient.

Reported to be a student pilot. Not likely to be of much help if the accident sequence started with loss of control in IMC.
I do not consider that to be true at all. If his equilibrium was still stable he could well have at a minimum brought forward the question about position and stability. Would not be the first time a right seater saved a day. They have been known to be called a safety pilot in the past.

As chips were flying from the material on my lathe a thought came to mind. When running on autopilot, medium to hard bumps can trip off the auto pilot. Happened to us both on the way out to Osh and the return back east this year.
Depending on the trim the AP being kicked out can go unnoticed and could well be unnoticed until a substantial deviation occurs. Being 10 miles out he would have been on the "downhill run", the speed is right up there. When the AP kicks out this might have been unnoticed till the point of an aggressive input during the attempt at correction results in what the outcome we see was.

Close one yesterday in a local Caravan: AIRCRAFT DECLARED AN EMERGENCY DUE TO FLIGHT CONTROL ISSUES, RETURNED TO FAIRBANKS AND IT WAS DISCOVERED THAT THE RIGHT AILERON WAS TORQUED, FAIRBANKS, AK. Pilot saved the day.

Gary

Attachments

• IMG_0729.jpg
    IMG_0729.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_0730.jpg
    IMG_0730.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 422
Back