• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

Torqued as in twisted or deformed?
Need to see who drove the most recent truckload of packages to it.

Last edited:
Yes Wright's with thankfully an experienced pilot at the wheel. Plane's in the hangar - right aileron bent as in pic above. They don't like ice (lots of blood from that) and it's a booted not TKS weep airplane. But maybe as Mike suggests a flutter event. More later. Read the passenger comments above.

Gary

Yes Wright's with thankfully an experienced pilot at the wheel. Plane's in the hangar - right aileron bent as in pic above. They don't like ice (lots of blood from that) and it's a booted not TKS weep airplane. But maybe as Mike suggests a flutter event. More later. Read the passenger comments above.

Gary

Caravan is a good ice airplane once they figured out the tail accreted ice faster than the wing. “Old” procedures (Dont cycle the boots till substantial ice has accreted) killed a few folks, till someone did some actual research…….

MTV

Angel Aviation PA-14, 3 on board, Beluga River at Olson Creek.

IMG_20210815_172947.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20210815_172947.jpg
    IMG_20210815_172947.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 403
Tail stands are pretty common. I’ve been on flights where we were told to stay seated until a tail stand was placed. I’ve read that in big airports they use a nosewheel strap instead of a tail stand.

Damn, I rented that PA-14 for a few tailwheel lessons. Beautiful airplane and recently rebuilt! A real shame! This can't be good for Angel at Merrill, they just lost a 172 with a CFI and discovery flight student at Eagle River in July!

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N4226H

It was a beautiful plane and I planned to ask if I could get a picture of the panel (pretty good mix of simplicity and functionality) after I did a flight review in it recently. Sad.

Tail stands are pretty common

I had a summer job in high school at the local FBO. They also operated a fleet of Ag planes and a fleet of Cessna 337s and Aero Commander 500's for forest fire birddogging. One day after removing the de-icer boots from an Aero Commander I'm told to climb up on the stabilizer and touch-up some paint. Guy said they do it all the time (climb on the stab). Well, I go up there and start sanding at the base of the fin and as I proceed upward I slowly moved rearward with the fin slope...and then I get a sinking feeling and rode it all the way to the floor. It was quite a sight to have the thing sitting on its tail in the hangar and it took some effort to get it down slowly ("Hey kids, don't jump off yet!"). Afterwards everybody is standing around wondering what was different this time until we remembered the day before we had pulled the engines for overhaul. They made up tail stands for maintenance work after that - the first was named Jeff after me :)

Remember the wheel marks on the wing the other day?

Midair collision...
(13/October/2021)
- United States of America [emoji631] :
According to the NTSB and FAA, on October 13rd, a private Cessna 180J Skywagon, registration N9966N, collided with an unknown aircraft while flying near Sutton, Alaska.
The Skywagon landed with substantial damage to one of the wings, the sole pilot onboard was not injured. The other plane continued flying and the FAA/NTSB are looking for the pilot.

"The National Transportation Safety Board is looking for a plane that reportedly collided with another aircraft in midair last week and kept flying.

Around 1 p.m. Wednesday, a Cessna 180 was in a collision near Sutton that substantially damaged a wing of the plane, NTSB Alaska chief Clint Johnson said Saturday.

The pilot of the Cessna was able to land safely, and no injuries were reported. But the NTSB is still searching for the other plane, which Johnson said continued flying, and its pilot has not yet come forward to report the accident.

“We don’t think there was any damage to the other plane, but we don’t know that because it kept going,” Johnson said.

“This is an accident, and we’re trying to figure out what took place. We’d like to get both sides of the story,” he said. “So we are actively looking for that airplane.”

Authorities are reviewing air traffic control recordings in the area but haven’t been able to come up with any further information so far, Johnson said."

IMG_7522.JPG

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

Attachments

• IMG_7522.JPG
    IMG_7522.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 154
I wonder if that would be a first "leaving the scene of an accident" in aviation.

One question in mind, is that an honor or a felony?
If it was just a landing gear/tire strike against a wing I can see it being a "non issue" in some peoples minds. But it is still a true issue. The person probably "felt something" but might not have recognized it as an impact with another aircraft.

Back