• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

Basically the step turns the gear tube column is two shorter columns that each can take far more compression without buckling.
Only in one plane. Note that the failure was in a plane roughly perpendicular to the one formed by gear leg and step.

Re jury struts, they do stabilize the lift struts on both axes. PA-12 style more so than PA-18 style.

Since the step is not a pin joint and therefore transfers moment through the u-bolt clamp it does take bending loads on other planes. The degree of reaction varies based on load direction but it is there nonetheless. While an analyst would throw out it's contribution for purposes of design, in real life it is not negligible.

As you correctly mention jury struts have transverse members linking the two struts in fore and aft direction added to the primary vertical. The transverse direction combined with the moment of inertia of the streamlined struts does stabilize in that direction, which is secondary to the vertical buckling.

Which accident did the bolt come out?

I was jacking with my PTT and had my stick in and out several times. Put it in along with the nut and bolt. Took off and going around the pattern I pulled it out. I hadn't gotten it far enough in for the bolt to go in the stub. Got it back down on the stub to land but I was pushing that sucker down the whole time. I double and triple check that thing now.

Dad was flying my uncles cub and landed at his ranch and picked up Scott Hare. Dad’s runway is really short with a dog leg in the middle and a tall long hill at the end. As he was taking off the stick came out he grabbed the stub to keep control and handed Scott the stick , as soon as they were out of harm’s way Scott handed Dad back the stick. Dad said he was lifting on the stick to help it get off faster LOL

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Looks like a twin bonanza. I really like those planes, glad he got it down safe!

EDIT: I just read on beech talk, twin bo. Engine failure, prop wouldn’t feather and airplane wouldn’t maintain altitude.

Great job aviating by that guy!

Looks like a twin bonanza. I really like those planes, glad he got it down safe!

EDIT: I just read on beech talk, twin bo. Engine failure, prop wouldn’t feather and airplane wouldn’t maintain altitude.

Great job aviating by that guy!

indeed. In one of the still pictures you can clearly see the right propeller stopped and not feathered.

Great decision making and flying.

MTV

How many systems and alarms need to be ignored and bypassed to land one of them gear up?

How many systems and alarms need to be ignored and bypassed to land one of them gear up?
Just One,.... the brain....

Anecdotally, I believe many of the accidents over the past ten to twenty years are firmly planted in the loose soil of poor airmanship. Technology has allowed us to forget the important things.

Carl Sagen said it best;
“We've arranged a global civilization in which most crucial elements profoundly depend on science and technology. We have also arranged things so that almost no one understands science and technology. This is a prescription for disaster."

I keep having the lyrics of the Grateful Dead's version of "Casey Jones" going through my mind.

Sure tore it up! you would think that an Aero Commander would be able to land in the water without doing so much damage.

206 and Beaver both on floats mid-air. Lake Coeur d’Alene on Sunday afternoon.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/jul/05/kootenai-sheriff-coast-guard-responding-to-downed-/

Both of these airplanes have high instrument panels with a lot of blind space which makes it difficult to see another plane. Witness reports seem to indicate that this was another case of "no-see-um". Keep your heads on a swivel Guys. All of those electronic gadgets including the FAA's ADS-B are no substitute for those Mach 1 eyeballs. Particularly on a nice Sunday afternoon.

206 and Beaver both on floats mid-air. Lake Coeur d’Alene on Sunday afternoon.

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/2020/jul/05/kootenai-sheriff-coast-guard-responding-to-downed-/

Both of these airplanes have high instrument panels with a lot of blind space which makes it difficult to see another plane. Witness reports seem to indicate that this was another case of "no-see-um". Keep your heads on a swivel Guys. All of those electronic gadgets including the FAA's ADS-B are no substitute for those Mach 1 eyeballs. Particularly on a nice Sunday afternoon.

A lot of the YouTube flying video's have a POV from pretty much the pilot's eyeballs, and it amazes me how crappy the over the nose viz is out of many planes. Good viz, it's something I look for now (?) in any video I watch. The RANS S-7S I fly is at the top in this regard, I'm spoiled. Whenever a different engine is used, and the cowling is modded to accommodate the (usually) larger engine, losing viz seems to be never mentioned or considered.

Is that just staining in the bottom of the floats? Looks like some electrolysis going on and the big patch ripped off the bottom would certainly ruin anyone's day. Glad they were both able to get out.

Is that just staining in the bottom of the floats? Looks like some electrolysis going on and the big patch ripped off the bottom would certainly ruin anyone's day. Glad they were both able to get out.

Looks like it popped at a bulkhead then folded back.... there probably more to the story that happened some other location.....

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

The tough no-see-um's are when the other plane moves little sideways relative to the observer. Just get bigger until .....

Gary

My eyes think they see a repair patch that tore out. From the color of the floats that one did not come on land very often.

Looks like it popped at a bulkhead then folded back.... there probably more to the story that happened some other location.....

I was wondering whether there is something on the bottom of the lake that might have caused that hole during the accident sequence. It looked like a shallow area based on the way the aircraft settled up high initially after the accident. So I wondered whether the digging of the floats carried the floats down far enough to cause that damage as the float went under.

The picture here https://www.ktuu.com/content/news/ntsb-investigating-lake-hood-plane-crash-571636881.html shows what appears to be a big hole with perhaps a torn out patch peeled back. IF so, something like this could create an enormous instant amount of drag with the potential to capsize. Particularly if the pilot is unaware. If he knew, he possibly could land slow and tail low enough to get down right side up. The edges of the hole appear to be straight indicating a torn out patch rather than a new hole. Also there is a border of clean metal around the hole.

Back