• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Oops, darn it...

If that is supposed to be a PA-12, why does it have a spring Cessna landing gear?
I saw one back in the 1980's that Dave Hendricks (lots of Alaska STC's) built and it had 170 Cessna gear. The owner's son owns it now and it is back on PA 18 style gear in Oklahoma. He has the PA 12 Facebook page.

Whoa! Miles of flat ground to the West, I've never seen an airliner turn east from BZN.

For curiosity, looking at Mike’s screen shot and using flight aware to check the flights tracking I noticed some anomaly’s….
This equipment has no record of flying out of, or to for that matter BZN. ?
The Delta flight # is a regularly scheduled flight from-to BZN.
NO Irregular flight tracking for either.
The depicted routing shows a southeast departure.
Why the deviated flight track on the screen shot? Was there a GA in close proximity or just terrain. Wonder how close this flight actually was to terrain?
??

Why the deviated flight track on the screen shot? Was there a GA in close proximity or just terrain. Wonder how close this flight actually was to terrain?
??

Just from personal recollection, the Bridgers are high and approximately 7-8 miles from the runway. At 200 knots, it's not a lot of room. In the 70s, in crisp VFR, we often saw Frontier enter a left downwind between the mountains and the airport, but Northwest would never do that. I can't imagine an IFR departure heading towards the mountains. SE departure leads over a dip in the mountains and is normal.

A fellow who lives in the lower foothills of the Bridgers under that flight track actually saw the plane go over, in the flag. He’s a very experienced pilot, said all he could do is pray.

MTV

For curiosity, looking at Mike’s screen shot and using flight aware to check the flights tracking I noticed some anomaly’s….
This equipment has no record of flying out of, or to for that matter BZN. ?
The Delta flight # is a regularly scheduled flight from-to BZN.
NO Irregular flight tracking for either.
??

May 12, 3:02 departure DL2690. N101DQ, Airbus 321
BZN - ATL

Was climbing through 7K as he turned back away from the ridge.

Transmitted from my FlightPhone on fingers… [emoji849]

If interested look up the A321's EGPWS display and enabling procedure. Someday the equipment installed and cause for the route flown will be available.

Gary

A close call recently:

View attachment 61230

Was in IMC,

MTV
I have never been to Bozeman, so this is just speculation on my part.
This is the Bobkt Four Departure from Bozeman. https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2205/00059BOBKT.PDF
Just for this discussion, I'm assuming this is what he was supposed to follow. The procedure calls for flying straight out heading 123* (runway heading?) to 4980' then direct (basically a straight line) to cross Japer at or above 8000' before turning to a track of 085*.

It appears the left turn to 085* was initiated when passing the initial 4980' instead of climbing to "at or above 8000'" first. Then the terrain alerting system warned them of the obstruction which "woke" them up. Not pointing fingers, but sometimes even airline pilots have their heads where the sun doesn't shine. Perhaps there was a preflight nav system programming step missed? I never flew an Airbus, but it is possible the programming person just skipped one step. "Climb heading 123° to 4980, (this one) then direct to cross JAPER at or above 8000, then on track 085....."

This reminds me of another similar incident which I've simplified here, on the west coast of South America during the 90s when an American Airlines B-757 was "cleared for an approach". Instead of following the safe route to the airport, the pilot punched in his "navigation keyboard" "direct to" the airport. In this case there were mountains between the plane and the airport. There were no survivors.

A simple keystroke entry error in both cases.

I have never been to Bozeman, so this is just speculation on my part.
This is the Bobkt Four Departure from Bozeman. https://aeronav.faa.gov/d-tpp/2205/00059BOBKT.PDF
Just for this discussion, I'm assuming this is what he was supposed to follow. The procedure calls for flying straight out heading 123* (runway heading?) to 4980' then direct (basically a straight line) to cross Japer at or above 8000' before turning to a track of 085*.

It appears the left turn to 085* was initiated when passing the initial 4980' instead of climbing to "at or above 8000'" first. Then the terrain alerting system warned them of the obstruction which "woke" them up. Not pointing fingers, but sometimes even airline pilots have their heads where the sun doesn't shine. Perhaps there was a preflight nav system programming step missed? I never flew an Airbus, but it is possible the programming person just skipped one step. "Climb heading 123° to 4980, (this one) then direct to cross JAPER at or above 8000, then on track 085....."

This reminds me of another similar incident which I've simplified here, on the west coast of South America during the 90s when an American Airlines B-757 was "cleared for an approach". Instead of following the safe route to the airport, the pilot punched in his "navigation keyboard" "direct to" the airport. In this case there were mountains between the plane and the airport. There were no survivors.

A simple keystroke entry error in both cases.

Pete, a friend here who is retired Boeing pilot told me he’s jumpseated many times in and out of BZN in buses. His THEORY is that possibly the pilot flying this leg programmed the route correctly, but had his/her heading bug set to a north heading. Then, when engaging the AP, selected heading bug instead of programmed route.

Your theory sounds more logical, but I know nothing about Airbus systems in any case.

In this case, the old story “A miss is as good as a mile” applies. That ridge they missed contains a lot of rock at 9000.

MTV

Pete, a friend here who is retired Boeing pilot told me he’s jumpseated many times in and out of BZN in buses. His THEORY is that possibly the pilot flying this leg programmed the route correctly, but had his/her heading bug set to a north heading. Then, when engaging the AP, selected heading bug instead of programmed route.

Your theory sounds more logical, but I know nothing about Airbus systems in any case.

In this case, the old story “A miss is as good as a mile” applies. That ridge they missed contains a lot of rock at 9000.

MTV
I too know nothing about Airbuses, but have a lot of Boing time. Your friend has a point. The pilot may have just tapped the wrong button after engaging the autopilot.

Talked to FAA QA guy coupe days ago and incident was ATC error.

MTV

whatever ATC did or ordered, the PIC screwed up. We (pilots) are not automatons, programmed by ATC. Two hundred people die on a ridge, it’s not ATC’s fault.

MTV

I thought I better chime in. That’s my screenshot above that has been shared. The blue dot was my location. He was definitely IFR in the soup. Ridge 2 miles east of my location is approximately 9,000 MSL. I’m fearless and it scared me to death!

MTV

Small point, but the heading bug in an Airbus essentially reverts to aircraft heading after 60 seconds if the auto pilot is not in heading mode.

Small point, but the heading bug in an Airbus essentially reverts to aircraft heading after 60 seconds if the auto pilot is not in heading mode.

Good intel. I have no idea how all that magic works, and I still can’t see how that could get so far out of whack. A fellow I spoke with last night said he checked (somewhere) and that tail number supposedly hasn’t been to BZN in a month. Whatever that means. He’s saying the track is false……

MTV

A fellow I spoke with last night said he checked (somewhere) and that tail number supposedly hasn’t been to BZN in a month. Whatever that means. He’s saying the track is false……

MTV
why do you bother to repeat crap like that, unnamed person, unnamed source, 'supposedly'. heretofore this was an interesting discussion

Good intel. I have no idea how all that magic works, and I still can’t see how that could get so far out of whack. A fellow I spoke with last night said he checked (somewhere) and that tail number supposedly hasn’t been to BZN in a month. Whatever that means. He’s saying the track is false……

MTV
Flight Aware shows N101DQ flying from Bozeman to Atlanta on May 12, departed at 3:05 MT. Looks like the track is credible.

Screen Shot 74.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 74.png
    Screen Shot 74.png
    523.8 KB · Views: 123
Flight Aware shows N101DQ flying from Bozeman to Atlanta on May 12, departed at 3:05 MT. Looks like the track is credible.

View attachment 61289

Yes, that was the source the track. It’s hard to believe a crew could make that big a screw up and the systems didn’t alert earlier. Then again, pilots are human and focus and determination can overcome most any electronics.

MTV

It’s hard to believe a crew could make that big a screw up and the systems didn’t alert earlier.

I worked on development of avionics systems for MD-11, MD-10, B777, B737NG and other types. Each had an avionics system that was advanced for it's day but all of them are hopelessly inadequate in terms of situation awareness compared to modern general aviation cockpits.

Much has been written on "automation mode confusion". It will continue to kill crews and their passengers as long as pilots are prepared to blindly follow "the magenta line".

I'm inclined to believe our eyewitness (or ear-witness) on the ground who reports the airliner being two miles from the ridge.

Much has been written on "automation mode confusion". It will continue to kill crews and their passengers as long as pilots are prepared to blindly follow "the magenta line".

In the early 70's, 73 I believe, Alaska Airlines 727 hit the mountain on the approach into Juneau. A lear, then a National Guard Twatter did it later in the 80's.

The approach is a localizer/DME approach that utilized two DME's. Every crew made the same mistake- had the wrong DME fix reading in the cockpit. Most likely they were all on HOLD for the one, but the numbers showing in the display were for the correct one, but again the selector was set to hold.

The fixes are only about 5 miles different, but that puts the rocks 100' above you instead of 1,000' below.

Proper navigation management is not new. Even highly trained folks mess up. Build habits to check each detail when you have time. Maybe take an extra turn in a hold if needed.

Back