Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Field Approvals

Post Thanks / Like
    I did not re-read the entire thread, but note that I am a contributor.

In the very recent past I have obtained three field approvals - Two for Grove brakes on Aeroncas, and one for replacing the master cylinders on my Cub.

It took begging, groveling, and multiple visits/appointments. The inspector was very nice during the entire process, and in the end he merely pulled out his stamp and we were done. The two non-AOG approvals took 15 months start to finish, with no engineering evaluation or re-writes. The AOG approval took a month, four contacts, and possibly the help of a now-retired inspector from another FSDO. The brakes are a dramatic change, according to the Aeronca owner. A tremendous increase in safety on the ground.

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, Bob, if you will follow what Pete posted it just might go a little faster? Then again it IS the FAA and they're not happy until you're not happy.

John Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    I am smart enough to have programmed Maxwell's equations in a computer, but I am not smart enough to know how to use that FAA job aid flow chart.

I think I am done fighting this stuff. My Cub and my Decathlon are exactly the way I want them, and all these Aeroncas belong to other people. It was very satisfying to see how easily the mechanical brake airplane was converted, and how much better its ground handling was.

Do you know that the mechanical brake Aeronca wheels are close to a grand each, used? Most are cracked.

Post Thanks / Like
    looking for some experiences guys have had recently with the field approval process vs simple log book entry..

I am looking at a cub that has gar aeros done by field approval with 1.25 inch axles wiith the cleveland 30-60 double puck brakes. It now has the 30-52 ABI double puck brakes. these are the more robust version. Atlee Dodge has an STC to install the 30-52 brakes on cubs but the stc specifies 1.50 inch axles.

Is this a change that can be done with a simple log book entry? It is a minor change that affects little.
    Thanks SteveE thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I take it they installed a sleeve over the axle to adapt the 1 1/2" wheel to the 1 1/4"? I would get a field approval if that is the case.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes eskflyer liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by prifly View Post
    I hear some D.A R. s may be authorizield to do field approvals?
    DARs with Function Code 51 can do Field Approvals within the limitations FAA imposes. We are required to use the AFS300 job aid, and AC43-210A. We are also limited to doing Field Approvals within the FSDO where we are supervised.

DER's with Major Repair and Major Alteration authorization can do Engineering approvals within their specialty, and DERs have no geographic boundaries. DERs are also limited to doing Engineering Approvals identified in the AFS300 job aid, so about the same as a Field Approval, just different paperwork. Most DERs only have one specialty, so for a given approval you may need to use multiple DERs. In my case, I'm limited to vintage aircraft, but can do structures, systems, engines and engine installations.

David Schober
    Thanks eskflyer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We are having a bit better success with field approvals in the last few months. Same guys, more helpful.
    Likes dgapilot liked this post