• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Drones

Saw this in parking lot.
I'm not for putting this stuffs online, however he is driving round advertising it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    923.9 KB · Views: 201
Saw this advertised on U S Farm Report this morning. I still like my Cessna better for looking down on fields.
Call it a hot technology, call it a fad, call it what you will, but the unmanned aerial system (UAS) has captured the imagination of the American farmer. And if you're interested in getting a better understanding of how these remote flyers work, there's a new show set for July 9 and 10 in Decatur, Ill., that offers you plenty of information. And a highlight will be actual flight demos of the different automated tools too.
The Precision Aerial Ag Show will be held at Progress City, the Illinois location for the Farm Progress Show.
http://farmindustrynews.com/precision-farming/field-event-offers-drone-demos

IMG_3702.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3702.JPG
    IMG_3702.JPG
    809 KB · Views: 170
The more I read about the drone situation, the more I fear serious troubles down the road. It seems to me that congress was sold (bribed) a bill of goods in forcing the FAA to come up with some regulations. It seems very clear that the attitude of the proponents, both the manufacturers and the military, is that they are invincible and can do no wrong, no wrong, no wrong, no wrong ---------ad nauseam. I fear that those of us who fly the small stuff are at risk of being run over. The drone operator will say "it wasn't my fault", "he should not have been there having a good time in public uncontrolled airspace", "without a third class medical in a NORDO airplane without an electrical system" and "no ATC clearance to fly off that sand bar".
(tong in cheek) Perhaps there will be a requirement for all airplanes to have a $20,000 drone detector installed?:behead: After all, the airlines can easily afford to have their planes equip. Those little people should be banned from the sky anyway. After all, those little people are only taxpayers. We can extract more $$$ from them!

There ought to be some definition of what separates a radio controlled model airplane from a drone. Model airplanes, as I know them, are not the problem. Even if the operator attaches a GoPro to it.

If you get the idea that I am Pissed off about the potential drone situation, you are correct. That, which has been presented, has not been thoroughly investigated before the congressional ruling took place. Either that, or the proponents just don't give a S---.

One thing that I've been thinking about, if a really bright strobe was on the drone, it might be visible. Maybe require that.

I'm guessing most farmer drones will be the quads that more or less just hover over the field taking pictures. Hopefully, being transported to the next field on the ground.

I'm guessing most farmer drones will be the quads that more or less just hover over the field taking pictures. Hopefully, being transported to the next field on the ground.

Those farmer drones are just sophisticated radio controlled model airplanes. It's the bigger ones that I am worried about.

About the only thing I can think of in that situation is----some of the new cars will slow down if you're going to rear-end the car ahead of you. Maybe have an avoidance system on the drone to make it go another direction if it is closing in on something.

Exactly Marty, But are "they" thinking in this direction? I have seen nothing yet to suggest that "they" are. Everything which I have seen to date, seems to indicate that "they" assume that ALL airplanes have two way radios, fully functioning electrical systems, and are in constant communication with the authorities. And, that no pilot would even consider taking off and flying around for the fun of it, without first getting "permission". How often have you heard from the nonflying public the question "You mean to tell me that you do not have to get permission to fly and that you do not have to be talking to some controller?" We are a minority and we are about to get screwed.

Yeah....talk to an aerial applicator about those.....

As Pete says, the drone advocates just keep saying "no worries, man". And, soon there will be fatalities. There have already been close calls.

As Pete also notes, us little guys are very apt to draw the short straw, all in the name of "The greater good".

Heres a a question for you: How many of these drone missions could not just as easily and perhaps more economically by a kid in a Cessna 150? Yet, the drone industry keeps alleging that these things are designed to replace humans in environments which are too dangerous for human pilots.....horse puckey. Example: Last year a Russian ice breaker opened a path for a tanker into Nome, AK. They brought in a drone to look for thin ice for the ice breaker, because "It would be too dangerous to send a human pilot out over that ice. Meantime, air taxi airplanes were readily available and suitable for that task.

MTV

Heres a a question for you: How many of these drone missions could not just as easily and perhaps more economically by a kid in a Cessna 150?
Mike, don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating for them. I'm trying to do my part to keep them away from here. A week or so ago I took pictures of a friends field that is made up of very good soil types but tends to be too wet---especially this year. His son is is in the drainage tile business and asked if I'd take some pictures of the 160 acre field that is tiled fairly well on half but needs more on the other. The darker green lines are where there is tile and the yellow needs it. I took quite a few pic's and think I can do better than a drone. Notice where the wind turbines are going too.:smile:
IMG_3712.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3712.JPG
    IMG_3712.JPG
    769.1 KB · Views: 181
I would hope that the drone designers are developing a device to sense, and avoid, other objects in the sky? Whatever they may be. This without any output from the other object what so ever. And, without any action from the drone operator on the ground, wherever he may be. This would be a great benefit to the owner of the drone, as well as to the "other object", US. This would reduce drone accidents against airplanes, towers, windmills, etc, etc, etc. I would have less objection if such a device were required and proven. ARE YOU LISTENING, FAA?

I would hope that the drone designers are developing a device to sense, and avoid, other objects in the sky? Whatever they may be. This without any output from the other object what so ever. And, without any action from the drone operator on the ground, wherever he may be. This would be a great benefit to the owner of the drone, as well as to the "other object", US. This would reduce drone accidents against airplanes, towers, windmills, etc, etc, etc. I would have less objection if such a device were required and proven. ARE YOU LISTENING, FAA?

Pete,

Dream on. Everything I've read and in speaking directly with some folks who are in the thick of drone development all I hear is that there's no problem......big sky, little drone......I think they're simply working the lobbyists on Congress. Why should the drone industry be burdened with having to develop sophisticated sense and avoid technology? After all, drones will obviate the need for human pilots after all.

A technology that could detect passive targets at sufficient range to avoid would be a serious piece of work.....and I doubt it'll happen any time soon.

And, us "Recreational flyers"? Why, what is for the greater good?

Frankly, i think the best thing going right now is the general paranoia about privacy.....

MTV

Yes Mike, I'm sure that it is a pipe dream! Though, if it were mandated, I'm sure that the drone proponents would come up with an electronic chip to do the job.

An airline friend of mine had to dodge a drone in the 30,000+ foot altitudes, on a jet airway, back in the middle 1980s. When queried, ATC said that there wasn't supposed to be anything up there. I heard the whole conversation, since I just happened to be nearby at the time. It was a CAVU day.

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/FAA-Drone-Warnings-Not-Legally-Binding222373-1.html

FAA Drone Warnings Not Legally Binding

A federal court of appeals has ruled that the Federal Aviation Administration's informal letters and emails ordering some drone users to stop using the devices are not legally binding. In April, a Texas search-and-rescue group asked the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit to set aside an FAA order to stop using remotely piloted aircraft in the group's searches. On Friday, a three-judge dismissed the challenge, but based the dismissal on its ruling that the FAA email at the center of the case was not a formal, legally binding order. According to the
Wall Street Journal, the appellate court panel said it lacked authority to review a claim in which "an agency merely expresses its view of what the law requires of a party," the decision read.The FAA said it was reviewing the decision. In court documents, Justice Department lawyers representing the FAA had argued that the court should dismiss the challenge because the FAA email in question was simply a warning and is thus not subject to judicial review. "The email represents the opinion of a subordinate agency employee regarding the view that the FAA would be likely to take if confronted" with unauthorized use of a drone, the lawyers said in the court documents.
Brendan Schulman, attorney for Texas EquuSearch, the search-and-rescue group, said although the court dismissed his petition, "the result is helpful. It clarifies the organization is not under any FAA directive to not use this technology." Mr. Schulman suggested the order could complicate the FAA's efforts to enforce its drone policy. The agency has used informal letters and emails to tell drone users to halt operations. Mr. Schulman said Friday's order confirms that many of those enforcement attempts are legally just warnings.

I believe I go a notice that the Arctic Ocean airspace was reclassified last week to allow operational space for drones. I didn't pay much attention, but I guess it's the tip of the spear, so to speak.

We are now getting FAI (AK) Notams warning of drone activity north of town....it is just a matter of time before a midair happens up here....this whole idea of needing drones and cars that drive themselves is foreign to me....what is wrong with having responsible humans inside and at the controls?

Seeing and doing things that "drone" operators will NEVER do.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 144
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    813.9 KB · Views: 159
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 144
I think I've figured out one place a drone would come in handy for me on the farm. I have to maintain a fence to keep my neighbor's cow herd off my CRP and have a dummy hot wire across the creek that floods once in awhile. A drone to take the wire across so I wouldn't have to strip down and wade in the icky water would be nice.:lol:IMG_3754.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3754.JPG
    IMG_3754.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 152
http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/UAS-Finds-Lost-Hikers222729-1.html

Police in Nova Scotia used an unmanned aerial system (UAS) equipped with surveillance camera to find a family lost in a wilderness area late Saturday. A couple and their 17-year-old daughter got disoriented after setting out on a hike about 4:30 p.m. and called police for help on a cellphone about 8:30 p.m. The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) sent a UAS unit to the area and the trio was spotted by the UAS late Saturday near Topsail Lake just outside Dartmouth, NS.
Many police forces in Canada operate UASs for searches like this and also to document and map vehicle accident scenes. Transport Canada allows the use of UASs for law enforcement and a variety of commercial applications through a special flight operation certificate. Applicants have to show Transport Canada that they know aviation regs and that their use of the UAS won't be a hazard.

That's pretty cool, Mike.

Like most GA pilots, I'm plenty concerned about avoidance issues, but I bet they can be overcome. I have no idea how though, and I'm even more concerned about the potential for airspace restrictions on manned flights being deemed the solution.

Mike, here they do, just like ATC's. A lot of folks don't know that controllers have to have medicals.

sj

"Does a Drone pilot have to have a medical?"

Depends on the platform. I fly the Predator (MQ-1). On this platform and the MQ-9 (Predator B) we are all commercial or military rated pilots, instrument rated and meet minimum PIC requirements. We have to stay instrument current and maintain current medicals.

The smaller platforms have varying requirements. Operators may or may not be pilots. They may or may not have medicals. That is company or customer driven and varies throughout the industry. The Army's current doctrine is to use enlisted soldiers (who are not pilots but do take military flight physicals) to fly all UAV platforms in the inventory.

Hope that helps

Chad

So, say you own a nice piece of west Texas land (humor me on this part) and you're sitting out on the veranda (one of my Grandmothers favorite place words) under a beautiful sky (yes, even this Okie will give West Texas credit for great sunsets) entertaining the neighbors (they live 43 miles away) and low and behold some little drone thingie comes a buzzing by and the operator (just can't call 'em a pilot) sees your shindig a happen and decides he "needs" to take a closer look at your impressive spread of jalapeño, bacon, dove nuggets on the grill and being from "New York City" he just has to check to see what salsa you're serving (sorry Pace, great adds but marginal product) and being annoyed at the intrusion you go all Second Hand Lyon's on it and blast it out of the sky...what laws have you violated?

Back