Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Drones

Post Thanks / Like
    That may be true due to GPS outages, but even the most simplistic autopilots used in them have a rudimentary INS system that will fly for a while without GPS. Check out <http://www.cloudcaptech.com/piccolo_system.shtm> It's been a few years now, but we were sending 60# 10 foot wing span UAS planes over the horizon where we could no longer communicate with them using these as autopilots. Had them flying canyons through the mountains, etc, but all within restricted air space. Our experience was that the INS system wasn't very good as the drift rate was pretty bad, but having it there as a "backup" nav system would make it legal.

-CubBuilder
    Last edited by Cub Builder; 12-03-2013 at 11:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see it now....

Aerial amazon drone hunting.... couple big fish landing/dip nets.... on struts??....

would that be catch and release?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    I can see it now....

Aerial amazon drone hunting.... couple big fish landing/dip nets.... on struts??....

would that be catch and release?
    ok maybe not nets...
    How To Hijack a Drone For $400 In Less Than an Hour
    Kamkar, a veteran security researcher.... put together his own drone platform, called Skyjack.
    .....has the ability to forcibly disconnect another drone from its controller and then force the target to accept commands from the Skyjack drone.

Post Thanks / Like

Air hogs: Drones secret weapon in hunt for feral pigs

By Joshua Rhett Miller
    Published December 04, 2013FoxNews.com

• This feral pig saw its demise at the hands of Cy Brown's so-called "dehogaflier," an unmanned aircraft system used by Louisiana Hog Control since 2011 to hunt the porcine predators. (Courtesy: Cy Brown)

• Anyone can recreate the system for about $2,000, not including the price of the thermal-imaging camera, which can cost upwards of $10,000 and beyond. (Courtesy: Cy Brown)

• Brown said feral pigs, which caused the destruction shown here, can quickly cause serious damage to crops, livestock and personal property. (Courtesy: Cy Brown)

• Thermal-imaging allows Brown and his partner to hunt feral pigs at night in Louisiana from March through August. (Courtesy: Cy Brown)

• Brown, of Lafayette, La., said he and his partner have killed roughly 300 feral pigs using the system in the last six months alone. (Courtesy: Cy Brown)

Next SlidePrevious Slide

Consider it an attack of the drones — and pork is on the menu.
    Feral pigs in America’s deep South are a major problem for farmers and civilians alike, with the porcine predators causing an estimated $1.5 billion annually in damage to crops and wildlife. Enter the Louisiana Hog Control, an extermination company launched in 2011 by a couple of engineers determined to make a dent in the thriving pig population. Using a radio-controlled airplane equipped with a thermal-imaging camera as a spotter and a hunter on the ground, Cy Brown estimates he and his partner, James Palmer, have killed roughly 300 wild pigs in the last six months alone.
    “Obviously it’s not completely new technology, but some of the sensors and computing power has gotten to such a state to where it’s very easy to build these things, have them last a long time and for them to have a little bit of brains,” Brown said of the unmanned aircraft system that operates about 400 feet off the ground.
    Now in his third season, Brown said he got the idea of strapping a high-end camera to a radio-controlled airplane from his intense interest in the hobby, particularly in a subset community that focuses on creating a first-person viewpoint using the miniature aircraft.
    “This is really kind of the next big revolution of aviation and aerospace."
    - Ben Gielow, Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International

“The aircraft is certainly capable of going thousands of feet, but generally the working altitude is 400 feet,” Brown, 36, told FoxNews.com. “And it’s hard to say whether it will be business, but I know people who are making their living doing this.”
    Anyone can recreate Brown’s system — the airplane and accompanying computing devices on the ground — for about $2,000, he said, not including the price of the thermal-imaging camera, which can cost upwards of $10,000 and beyond. And since he cannot legally charge people for flying the plane due to FAA regulations, Brown said he kills pigs for tips, often $25 per porker.
    “The more you tip, the more we show up,” he said. “Whoever’s got the most pigs and the most money, that’s where we’ll be. Sometimes people pay us money just for showing up.”
    Brown said usage of unmanned aircraft systems isn’t going anywhere and will further explode in coming years, particularly after Amazon.com’s announcement that it’s seeking to use the devices to get parcels weighing 5 pounds or less to customers in fewer than 30 minutes.
    “Oh I’m certain of it,” he said of the looming drone explosion. “A lot of the wireless communication technology has kicked into high gear.”
    Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos told “60 Minutes” that the so-called octocopters are being tested to have a range of about 10 miles, which could cover a significant portion of the U.S. population in urban areas. Bezos said the project — dubbed Prime Air — could become a working service in four or five years, but some skeptics have expressed serious doubts.
    "It's fascinating as an idea and probably very hard to execute," Tim Bajarin, an analyst with Creative Strategies, told The Associated Press. "If he could really deliver something you order within 30 minutes, he would rewrite the rules of online retail."
    Ben Gielow, government relations manager of the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, said the industry is literally poised to take off. Drones are already being used domestically and internationally in myriad projects, including in search-and-rescue missions, narcotics interdiction operations by the U.S. Coast Guard and to survey hard-to-reach habitats within scientific research.
    Internationally, the trade group said drones have already been used in a number of unorthodox ways, including to arrest a leader of Mexico’s infamous Los Zetas gang, to identify illegal fishermen in Australia and to monitor radiation at the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan.
    “People think about using unmanned aircraft to complete tasks that are either too difficult, dangerous, dull or expensive to do traditionally,” Gielow told FoxNews.com. “This is really kind of the next big revolution of aviation and aerospace. You’re no longer constrained by protecting the pilot or passengers on board. You can fly further, faster, higher longer and also fly in areas that are too dangerous for typical aircraft to go, like over a forest fire or beneath a bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Nevertheless, although the neocons make a big deal about this small cut in military personnel, in reality these are not military cuts at all. These are token proposed cuts in troop levels which Congress won’t allow the administration to do anyway. What Hagel proposes is not cuts, but instead a shift in spending away from personnel and toward new high-tech weapons which are favored by and profitable to the military-industrial complex.
    I'm betting this article by Ron Paul is talking about drones when he says high-tech weapons.
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/03/r...-the-military/

Post Thanks / Like
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    a judge on Thursday agreed with Pirker that the FAA overreached by applying regulations for aircraft to model aircraft, and said no FAA rule prohibited Pirker's radio-controlled flight.
    http://m.kspr.com/nationalnews/Drone...53270_24851746

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a copy of the court filing and judges decision if anyone want to contact me via my email dougsappllc@gmail.com.

Post Thanks / Like
    This will get interesting now!

Post Thanks / Like
    The following is from the Fairbanks Newsminer. March 31, '14.
    Larger MOA's being created, will provide more "military lands" for future drone use I fear. It's easier to put a Restricted Area in a MOA than in unrestricted airspace.

But even among the growing variety of unmanned aircraft in Alaska skies, the Gray Eagle would stand out as the largest unmanned aerial vehicle to operate in the state. With a length of 28-feet and a wingspan of 56-feet it’s larger than some manned aircraft.

The Gray Eagle also could be the first armed drone to operate in Alaska. The aircraft is built to carry four Hellfire missiles, but the configuration that would be used in Alaska has not yet been determined, Brown said.
    Like other military drones, the Gray Eagle would only be used for training above military lands, he said.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/new-larger-army-drone-expected-in-alaska-next-year/article_dcd02700-b7de-11e3-87de-0017a43b2370.html

Last edited by Ruffair; 03-31-2014 at 06:34 AM. Reason: try to add link to stroy

Post Thanks / Like
    For review-

With respect to "drones" and MOA airspace to accommodate them. The proposal:
    http://www.jparceis.com/proposed_act...)%20Access.pdf

The official Record of Decision:
    http://www.jber.af.mil/shared/media/...130820-016.pdf

And an article that touches on non-military drones in Alaska.
    http://www.anchoragepress.com/featur...a4bcf887a.html
    Last edited by sierra bravo; 03-31-2014 at 08:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    OH goodie... State Troopers are getting drones too... oops, "unmanned aircraft"

the following quote I fear is all too true.. "In the not-too-distant future, explaining life before the advent of drones to young children will be like trying to explain life before the Internet, apps and smart phones to a kid today".

All of us, and those young folks that fly and who are going to be making a career in this booming field need to enjoy what little freedom of manned flight we have as it's soon to be history.

It's funny how all these proposed uses for unmanned aircraft have been successfully accomplished with pilots in Pipers, Cessna's and the like for years. It's like these folks smacked their forehead and said..."wow, with a drone we could look down at floods, fires, moose, fields, you name it..."

kind of like they never heard of General Aviation's commercial side.
    Last edited by Ruffair; 03-31-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: spelling. again

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont forget Ag Aviation. 2ft AGL to 500ft AGL all day long.

Post Thanks / Like
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    I stumbled on this article from the University of North Dakota about UAVs and liability. I found it interesting. jrh
    http://valhalla.law.und.nodak.edu/La.../85NDLR623.pdf

Post Thanks / Like
    jrh, Good read. Page 629 has a little information on collision with other aircraft and discusses the lack of avoidance software in the drones at this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a toy. No need to regulate.... Oh My.......

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...t=email#221925

Transport Canada and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are asking for public assistance to identify the operator of a small drone that shot a video of an airliner on final approach to Vancouver International Airport from above the airliner.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's our local drone base. Nothing on a sectional. Thought maybe I'd drop in some day and see whats going on.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn,
    Your local drone base has been there since at least 1995. That is as long as I can recall seeing the "base". Has been a mystery to me. Think it is some sort of radio/radar test base for military A/C.
    Every so often there is a military looking plane hanging from the big hook.
    Maybe some SC driver can help identify what the micro airport is actually used for.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Glenn's drone base from Google satilite images. The entrance road is called "USAF test site" by google.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	251.1 KB 
ID:	15668  

Post Thanks / Like
    What? None of the local Super Cubs have checked it out? I'm shocked!
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill, North of that spot is Griffiss (RME ) airport. 20 years ago it was a SAC Base. Budget cut closed it in the 90s. That new drone runway went in last summer. Originally that spot on the hill was a radar ground test site. When Griffiss AFB was active they had different aircraft that they hauled up on cranes on that hill to test the radar back at the base. If you look in the photo I first posted you can see the red and white towers in the back round. Sometimes when you would fly by they would have a C130 or a B52 hanging at different angles between the towers. Even saw a C130 inverted hanging there once. It's odd to me that it's not marked on a chart if they are going to be flying there ? Look just south a few hundred feet of the runways and you can see the test circle.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Now that you mention it I do not think the "runways" have been there all that long.
    The last time I was in that area was spring of 2012 and the runways existed then....
    Still a mystery as to what the runways are for.
    The runways are very short. STOL short and without clear approach paths.
    You land there and I will watch to see if you get shot by the USAF guards.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a fun and friendly use....

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha... Thats good Steve. But I have only one work for this.... "SKYNET" ...!!

Post Thanks / Like
    HA!

Post Thanks / Like
    http://youtu.be/IQeHAH_2ySw

More important Drone stuff. Via Homer Simpson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    On sunday around 4:30PM bout 18 miles south southwest of llano, TX I have a "friend" that came within 10 feet of a head on collision with a drone that was roughly 4' wide and around 1.5'-2' tall. It had a gold colored body and black rotors, quad copter style design. It was really weird cause it seemed a mile or two away and within a moment was right infront of the prop, depth perception issue. My friend was exactly 500' AGL n there was nothing but woods beneath and in surrounding area. He circled back but couldn't find it nor anyone on the ground operating it, this is why he believes it was not an RC and was a drone. Should have hit the sumbitch and taken one for the team

There was a state park about 8 miles west and possibly someone was operating out of there. These things are going to cause a midair sooner than later...hope it doesn't take someone getting hurt to shut this BS down till they have better sense and avoid technology. I repeat this was a friend mr/mrs FAA person, not me and I have nothing to do with this. The pilot chooses to remain anonymous because he doesn't want to deal with federal red tape possibly involved with reporting this, thank you! Be careful out there people...

Post Thanks / Like
    Alaskan moose hauler. https://www.advancedtacticsinc.com/
    N1PA

Barnstormer
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalywag View Post
    ...The pilot chooses to remain anonymous because he doesn't want to deal with federal red tape possibly involved with reporting this, thank you!...
    It's very unfortunate your friend is taking this position. It means it never happened.

If he would have reported a near miss to the FAA we would at least begin the trail of events that will someday lead to regulating these menaces to aviation. Instead the only thing we are closer to is a mid-air that perhaps kills a family - maybe mine, maybe yours, maybe your friend's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dang Phil that's a low blow

You know the pilot, he's hard headed as ****! Pretty sure he figures reporting to his friends where and when it happened was the best he could do without risking some kind of investigation and putting the spotlight on him...Since he flies for a living he can't risk having any issues with work. Like they say, "they're not happy till you're not happy" sad but true!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skalywag View Post
    Dang Phil that's a low blow

You know the pilot, he's hard headed as ****! Pretty sure he figures reporting to his friends where and when it happened was the best he could do without risking some kind of investigation and putting the spotlight on him...Since he flies for a living he can't risk having any issues with work. Like they say, "they're not happy till you're not happy" sad but true!
    Then why not report the incident right after you file a NASA report. If this stuff is not reported by pilots who have near misses, the first the feds will know about it is when someone is dead.

Easy choice.

Here's a link to the form...
    https://titan-server.arc.nasa.gov/HTML_ERS/general.html

Post Thanks / Like
    This guy reported it. Seems to be taken seriously, too.
    http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/09/travel...html?hpt=hp_t2

Post Thanks / Like
    This drone situation is nothing new. About 25 years ago one of my coworkers was flying over the Rockies in the 30,000 foot atmosphere when he had a close call with a drone. The ATC controller was unaware that it was there. I happened to be on the frequency at the same time and overheard the conversation. Later he described the drone to me. As I recall it was perhaps one of those military drones which have been used in the recent conflicts.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like

Farmers Using Drones

YIKES
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by barbwire View Post
    YIKES
    Remember the old radar jammers, we just need drone jammers to kill the signal and hope the default is to shut down when signal is lost.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kirby, the default mode with most of the autopilots on these things is to return to where it first started and land.

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm betting lots of folks around the Kenai Peninsula fire were happy to have drones assisting. Whatever it takes.

http://www.aviationpros.com/news/114...kenai-wildfire

A good perspective on the fire in general. http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...nny-river-fire
    Last edited by sierra bravo; 06-03-2014 at 03:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wonder how big a fire it will cause when someone plows into a drone and then balls it up.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    The wheels are turning in my mind---wonder if somebody could build a quad big enough to lift 50 gallons and a 30 foot spray boom. Maybe could program in swathes and never go higher than 10 feet and stay within the border of the field. Have a tender on the edge of the field to refill with spray. It's raining right now so my ground rig is parked.