• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Drones

I wish those companies would hurry up and get some drones in Alaska. Shooting at them with a 12 gauge has to be as much fun as shooting at wolves. For some reason, wolves are getting harder to find near here.:wink:
T.J., I believe the proper command is "Prepare to repel Zombies!"

I wish those companies would hurry up and get some drones in Alaska. Shooting at them with a 12 gauge has to be as much fun as shooting at wolves. For some reason, wolves are getting harder to find near here.:wink:

Have you seen the movie "Second Hand Lions"?

With that comment I think you should.

This regulating of drones brings to mind the FAA's hang glider dilemma of years ago. There were so many folks flying hang gliders that the FAA couldn't do a thing, sort of like herding cats, so they made some rules, part 103, that basically exempted them. I am beginning to see the same thing happening with the drones.

More drones in the News

By Simon Moya-Smith, Staff Writer, NBC News Nov. 16, 2013

A small fire erupted and two sailors were injured after an aerial target drone malfunctioned and struck a guided missile cruiser during training off Southern California on Saturday.
The drone struck the USS Chancellorsville on the side, leaving a 2- to 3-foot hole, said Lt. Lenaya Rotklein of the U.S. Third Fleet.
"They're trying to figure out what happened," she said, adding, "It's certainly rare."
The accident happened Saturday afternoon while the ship was testing its combat weapons system off Point Mugu. The drone was being used to test the ship's radar, Rotklein said.

further down in the story:

This is the second military drone crash in a week. On Tuesday, a drone from Fort Drum in upstate New York crashed into Lake Ontario during a training flight. The Air Force is investigating that incident.

Perhaps the drone developed a form of intelligence :cool:, decided it didn't want to be a target, and became the hunter instead...

Tom

All it'll take is for a drone X airliner mid air, or maybe a close call.

And, actually, it seems like there's more concern over the privacy issues around drones than there is about aviation safety.

MTV

Yesterday's AOPA live had a short comentary about a University of Virginia student who shot a video of his campus from and RC Aircraft. He is currently facing a $10,000 fine from the FAA for "Reckless " something or other. Seems the FAA is now going to stop kids from flying their tows. I remember having an Estes Rocket with a camera on it when I was a kid; can you imaginable how much trouble that would cause in today's society. Below is the link to the AOPA video. The bit about the drone is around the 7 minute mark.
http://www.aopa.org/AOPA-Live.aspx?cmp=ALTW:L8

Marty57

All of this drone talk reminds me of an incident involving a co-worker. During the late 1980s, while flying high over the Rockies, I heard a co-worker in a plane just ahead of me ask a controller about an airplane which was in very close proximity to his plane. The controller pleaded ignorance. I later spoke with the co-worker on the ground. He said that it looked like a big remote controlled plane. He had no idea of what type. So, these drones have been flying around in "our" airspace for nearly 20 years before it became common knowledge.

Marty57's story is a sad commentary of the "nanny" state which we have become. When an individual can't even fly a radio controlled model without getting in trouble, this whole country has gone to the dogs. Most all of us very likely flew model airplanes long before we graduated to the "real" ones. The FAA and other government agencies are doing their best to eliminate any and all aviation activity. They apparently do not realize that if we all stopped flying, there would be no further need for their employment.

Wonder how they will figure out if its a fly or no fly day, most of these trucks are loaded with stuff the day before. But it would be nice to see some fuel conserved from delivering a set of bloomers. Forgot, just opinion.:lol:

Did anyone see 60 Minutes ,TV show last night. The big surprise that Amazon showed the reporter was a Helio drone that will deliver a package from there plants to your front door all with GPS Guidance. No person at controls. They are waiting for FAA 2015 rules to be OK,d?? I live on airport, and we are being surrounded by homes. Don't know how these GPS drones will go around our airport on both ends of runway, if this happens??

I saw the story on 60 minutes and the whole time I was thinking what a nightmare for pilots. Also how can they be reliable during bad WX? Also seems susceptible to malicious activity.

It also had me thinking what an impediment the govt must think we GA pilots are to their control of the skies. Gives them incentive to rid us from the skies.

Theyed be more fun than shooting geese, there would be a prize attached.:lol:
Good idea, I like this! I wonder how they will do in icing conditions? I can just see these things falling from the sky everywhere. Every kid in the neighborhood will have a toy helicopter to hang their GoPro under.

I saw the story on 60 minutes and the whole time I was thinking what a nightmare for pilots. Also how can they be reliable during bad WX? Also seems susceptible to malicious activity.

It also had me thinking what an impediment the govt must think we GA pilots are to their control of the skies. Gives them incentive to rid us from the skies.

Actually, what a nightmare for the citizenry....some twenty something mother is walking her twin babies in a quiet neighborhood, and one of these suckers, replete with a four pound package comes out of the sky and the rotors do a number on a child....Think that would go over well on the evening news?

And do you seriously think the FAA isn't considering just those kinds of scenarios? The FAA has been seriously dragging their feet on this whole issue....I doubt they want drones in the airspace any more than I do. Bear in mind that would mean actually trying to regulate thousands of air mobiles ranging from hand launched vehicles to something the size of a 757, also known as Global Hawk. THAT right there is a nightmare for the FAA.

MTV

Last edited:
Any new technology takes time to develop new social provisions. The adoption of the airplane required revising the way people thought about private property and the corresponding law. Does a property owner have the right to exclude air traffic above his property? Not now, but it was a serious question in the '20s and '30s.

Businesses certainly make plenty of mistakes, but it doesn't take a massive leap to figure that Amazon is already pretty aware of the liability it would incur if it landed a drone on a child's head. That video is a technology teaser. Following the 80/20 rule, most of the hard work to refine to a commercial service is yet to be done, including obstacle avoidance, both ground and air.

My worry is that Amazon would use its political power to influence the FAA to tilt the scale too far, in favor of everyman's inalienable right of instant package delivery v. the fat cats growling around in little airplanes over everman's head.

Last night ,world news had a follow up. Drones that use GPS only to navigate is unlawfull. Can't be done??I did not know this.

That may be true due to GPS outages, but even the most simplistic autopilots used in them have a rudimentary INS system that will fly for a while without GPS. Check out <http://www.cloudcaptech.com/piccolo_system.shtm> It's been a few years now, but we were sending 60# 10 foot wing span UAS planes over the horizon where we could no longer communicate with them using these as autopilots. Had them flying canyons through the mountains, etc, but all within restricted air space. Our experience was that the INS system wasn't very good as the drift rate was pretty bad, but having it there as a "backup" nav system would make it legal.

-CubBuilder

Last edited:
I can see it now....

Aerial amazon drone hunting.... couple big fish landing/dip nets.... on struts??....

would that be catch and release?

I can see it now....

Aerial amazon drone hunting.... couple big fish landing/dip nets.... on struts??....

would that be catch and release?

ok maybe not nets...
How To Hijack a Drone For $400 In Less Than an Hour
Kamkar, a veteran security researcher.... put together his own drone platform, called Skyjack.
.....has the ability to forcibly disconnect another drone from its controller and then force the target to accept commands from the Skyjack drone.

• [h=2][/h]

[h=1]Air hogs: Drones secret weapon in hunt for feral pigs[/h]By Joshua Rhett Miller
Published December 04, 2013FoxNews.com

• LHC5.jpg

This feral pig saw its demise at the hands of Cy Brown's so-called "dehogaflier," an unmanned aircraft system used by Louisiana Hog Control since 2011 to hunt the porcine predators. (Courtesy: Cy Brown)

• LHC.jpg

Anyone can recreate the system for about $2,000, not including the price of the thermal-imaging camera, which can cost upwards of $10,000 and beyond. (Courtesy: Cy Brown)

• LHC2.jpg

Brown said feral pigs, which caused the destruction shown here, can quickly cause serious damage to crops, livestock and personal property. (Courtesy: Cy Brown)

• LHC3.jpg

Thermal-imaging allows Brown and his partner to hunt feral pigs at night in Louisiana from March through August. (Courtesy: Cy Brown)

• LHC4.jpg

Brown, of Lafayette, La., said he and his partner have killed roughly 300 feral pigs using the system in the last six months alone. (Courtesy: Cy Brown)

Next SlidePrevious Slide

Consider it an attack of the drones — and pork is on the menu.
Feral pigs in America’s deep South are a major problem for farmers and civilians alike, with the porcine predators causing an estimated $1.5 billion annually in damage to crops and wildlife. Enter the Louisiana Hog Control, an extermination company launched in 2011 by a couple of engineers determined to make a dent in the thriving pig population. Using a radio-controlled airplane equipped with a thermal-imaging camera as a spotter and a hunter on the ground, Cy Brown estimates he and his partner, James Palmer, have killed roughly 300 wild pigs in the last six months alone.
“Obviously it’s not completely new technology, but some of the sensors and computing power has gotten to such a state to where it’s very easy to build these things, have them last a long time and for them to have a little bit of brains,” Brown said of the unmanned aircraft system that operates about 400 feet off the ground.
Now in his third season, Brown said he got the idea of strapping a high-end camera to a radio-controlled airplane from his intense interest in the hobby, particularly in a subset community that focuses on creating a first-person viewpoint using the miniature aircraft.
“This is really kind of the next big revolution of aviation and aerospace."​
- Ben Gielow, Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International

“The aircraft is certainly capable of going thousands of feet, but generally the working altitude is 400 feet,” Brown, 36, told FoxNews.com. “And it’s hard to say whether it will be business, but I know people who are making their living doing this.”
Anyone can recreate Brown’s system — the airplane and accompanying computing devices on the ground — for about $2,000, he said, not including the price of the thermal-imaging camera, which can cost upwards of $10,000 and beyond. And since he cannot legally charge people for flying the plane due to FAA regulations, Brown said he kills pigs for tips, often $25 per porker.
“The more you tip, the more we show up,” he said. “Whoever’s got the most pigs and the most money, that’s where we’ll be. Sometimes people pay us money just for showing up.”
Brown said usage of unmanned aircraft systems isn’t going anywhere and will further explode in coming years, particularly after Amazon.com’s announcement that it’s seeking to use the devices to get parcels weighing 5 pounds or less to customers in fewer than 30 minutes.
“Oh I’m certain of it,” he said of the looming drone explosion. “A lot of the wireless communication technology has kicked into high gear.”
Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos told “60 Minutes” that the so-called octocopters are being tested to have a range of about 10 miles, which could cover a significant portion of the U.S. population in urban areas. Bezos said the project — dubbed Prime Air — could become a working service in four or five years, but some skeptics have expressed serious doubts.
"It's fascinating as an idea and probably very hard to execute," Tim Bajarin, an analyst with Creative Strategies, told The Associated Press. "If he could really deliver something you order within 30 minutes, he would rewrite the rules of online retail."
Ben Gielow, government relations manager of the Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International, said the industry is literally poised to take off. Drones are already being used domestically and internationally in myriad projects, including in search-and-rescue missions, narcotics interdiction operations by the U.S. Coast Guard and to survey hard-to-reach habitats within scientific research.
Internationally, the trade group said drones have already been used in a number of unorthodox ways, including to arrest a leader of Mexico’s infamous Los Zetas gang, to identify illegal fishermen in Australia and to monitor radiation at the Fukushima nuclear plant in Japan.
“People think about using unmanned aircraft to complete tasks that are either too difficult, dangerous, dull or expensive to do traditionally,” Gielow told FoxNews.com. “This is really kind of the next big revolution of aviation and aerospace. You’re no longer constrained by protecting the pilot or passengers on board. You can fly further, faster, higher longer and also fly in areas that are too dangerous for typical aircraft to go, like over a forest fire or beneath a bridge

Nevertheless, although the neocons make a big deal about this small cut in military personnel, in reality these are not military cuts at all. These are token proposed cuts in troop levels which Congress won’t allow the administration to do anyway. What Hagel proposes is not cuts, but instead a shift in spending away from personnel and toward new high-tech weapons which are favored by and profitable to the military-industrial complex.
I'm betting this article by Ron Paul is talking about drones when he says high-tech weapons.
http://www.lewrockwell.com/2014/03/ron-paul/more-lies-from-the-military/

The following is from the Fairbanks Newsminer. March 31, '14.
Larger MOA's being created, will provide more "military lands" for future drone use I fear. It's easier to put a Restricted Area in a MOA than in unrestricted airspace.

But even among the growing variety of unmanned aircraft in Alaska skies, the Gray Eagle would stand out as the largest unmanned aerial vehicle to operate in the state. With a length of 28-feet and a wingspan of 56-feet it’s larger than some manned aircraft.

The Gray Eagle also could be the first armed drone to operate in Alaska. The aircraft is built to carry four Hellfire missiles, but the configuration that would be used in Alaska has not yet been determined, Brown said.
Like other military drones, the Gray Eagle would only be used for training above military lands, he said.

http://www.newsminer.com/news/local_news/new-larger-army-drone-expected-in-alaska-next-year/article_dcd02700-b7de-11e3-87de-0017a43b2370.html

Last edited:
Back