• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Drones

A couple of my staff called Friday afternoon to let me know that we had a peeping drone at the office. Yep 12 floors up and it was looking in the windows and when one staffer waved at it wiggled itself in return. They said it looked in various windows and then climbed up out of sight so I'm guessing it launched from the balcony on the top floor, guess I need to pay a visit...

https://www.suasnews.com/2017/05/john-taylor-defeats-faa-registration-rule-model-aircraft/

.......To date, some 770,000 people have paid $5 to the FAA. Will refunds be forthcoming?

In 2012 Congress sort of said hands off model flying with Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012. That statute prohibited the FAA “from promulgating any rule or regulation regarding model aircraft.” John Taylor argued that the FAA was doing exactly that with the registration requirement. The court agreed.

“The FAA’s Registration Rule violates Section 336 of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act.”......

Mike. thanks. that is scary.

They have operated their autonomous drone for four years and think it is all figured out.

..and the FFA is STUPID ENUFFF TO AGREE. oh my gawd!!!

I'm wondering what they have done for collision avoidance with the NORDO airplanes which are flying in the same airspace? A small 20 lb drone will be very difficult to see under most circumstances. I've seen what happens when a radio controlled model airplane mixes with a Piper Apache. There was a big hole in the leading edge of the wing, thankfully it was not the windshield.

I keep having the nagging feeling the FAA has not addressed airplane/drone interactions in the same airspace prior to giving their blessings. If they had, you would think they would have at the very least notified all the airplane owners. At least the ones near the proposed operating areas. I'm not far from Marlboro MA and also an airport manager, I've not heard a thing. :evil:

I'm wondering what they have done for collision avoidance with the NORDO airplanes which are flying in the same airspace? A small 20 lb drone will be very difficult to see under most circumstances. I've seen what happens when a radio controlled model airplane mixes with a Piper Apache. There was a big hole in the leading edge of the wing, thankfully it was not the windshield.

I keep having the nagging feeling the FAA has not addressed airplane/drone interactions in the same airspace prior to giving their blessings. If they had, you would think they would have at the very least notified all the airplane owners. At least the ones near the proposed operating areas. I'm not far from Marlboro MA and also an airport manager, I've not heard a thing. :evil:

Unfortunately it seems as if they hope no one flys that low. I was talking to a helicopter instructor and he was horrified that airplanes fly low just like the helicopters. He said no, we are safe from airplanes down there. Having almost hit a drone less than a mile from an airport at 500 ft is what makes me think that. Sadly it’s going to take an airline hitting one to get the faa to do something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buddy bought a Mavic Mini at Wally World. I am completely astonished at how well it works and the quality of the video. It can't be any bigger than a brick. And it has an amazing range, etc. He was showing me video, flying above the river next to our houses when suddenly it occurred to me.....

This. Is. Exactly. What. I. See.

Mike, I don't really believe you have thought through your statement "A whole bunch of people have their panties in a wad over privacy concerns.....I could care less if some bored cop wants to spy on my back yard...". Your comments are usually really measured and logical and are valuable to the SC community. But human nature being what it is, it is a very slippery slope to permit spying on citizens without some restraint or controls in place. After all, the USA greatness is not about "unique, special people" but rather a unique form of government with guarantees restraining government powers. Personal economic freedom, personal liberties, and rule of law are cornerstones to our wonderful form of government. I know it is always a fight to preserve our freedoms, but we must never acquiesce or give up those freedoms without a fight. Our freedoms are being chipped away one baby step at a time! Unrestrained spying leads to suspicion, paranoia, and neighbor spying on neighbor (you can see it in the behavior of Eastern Europeans, people from Russia, North Korea, and I'm sure China).

It is obviously a hot button issue with me when I hear such dismissive thoughts. It is serious and marks a very large step in the erosion of our freedoms. I hope I haven't offended you too much! Peace to you and all freedom loving people!

......But human nature being what it is, it is a very slippery slope to permit spying on citizens without some restraint or controls in place...

Currently there are some very, very robust protections. There are some fascinating case law opinions regarding the use of drones by law enforcement/governmental entities and balancing same with the rights afforded by the Fourth Amendment. You can easily find a sampling on google scholar. Interesting reads.

Drones aren't going away. And they are becoming increasingly sophisticated on an almost daily basis. Historically, a robust surveillance and enforcement apparatus is an inherent and necessary part of an authoritarian government, which usually starts as what Churchill politely referred to as a "humane gestapo" that morphs as power is solidified. The transformation, however, has been attempted in a country with a robust Bill of Rights.

But what does this have to do with Cub flying, you say?

In the late 1940s the "freedom" to fly became a subset of an administrative arm created by Congress and fully delegated with authority to regulate aviation. And regulate it does. So far the balance has been reasonable and one's ability to wander relatively freely around the countryside in an your Cub, choosing your destination and directions without any significant interference via regulations and fees.

Historically, the Court's have required a rational basis for any regulations promulgated by an agency. At the end of the day the Court's are the arbiter of a regulation and whether or not it passes muster and whether or not, if it is a valid regulation, its application has been done fairly, absent any arbitrary and capricious application, with fundamental fairness and process applied along the application and enforcement route. One of my business partners defines "arbitrary and capricious" as the implementation and application of law based on "beliefs and feelings". I call it the usual rubbish and nonsense.

So, what's the point and how does it relate to flying.

Simple. There is a rapidly growing idea that those who have discretionary resources to afford flying--from your simple Cub up to being carted about on a G6.5--are "privileged" and that privilege has been attained solely at the detriment of others not so fortunate. This belief is right in line with emerging definitions of "social justice" and the "re-distributions and reparations" deemed necessary to set things right and achieve "restorative equality" for the "better of all". It's an interesting idea and there are unique roadblocks to same. But roadblocks can be removed and may be difficult to put back in place.

So, watch out for the Drones. Literally--and Figuratively.

Last edited:
Currently there are some very, very robust protections. There are some fascinating case law opinions regarding the use of drones by law enforcement/governmental entities and balancing same with the rights afforded by the Fourth Amendment. You can easily find a sampling on google scholar. Interesting reads.

Drones aren't going away. And they are becoming increasingly sophisticated on an almost daily basis. Historically, a robust surveillance and enforcement apparatus is an inherent and necessary part of an authoritarian government, which usually starts as what Churchill politely referred to as a "humane gestapo" that morphs as power is solidified. The transformation, however, has been attempted in a country with a robust Bill of Rights.

But what does this have to do with Cub flying, you say?

In the late 1940s the "freedom" to fly became a subset of an administrative arm created by Congress and fully delegated with authority to regulate aviation. And regulate it does. So far the balance has been reasonable and one's ability to wander relatively freely around the countryside in an your Cub, choosing your destination and directions without any significant interference via regulations and fees.

Historically, the Court's have required a rational basis for any regulations promulgated by an agency. At the end of the day the Court's are the arbiter of a regulation and whether or not it passes muster and whether or not, if it is a valid regulation, its application has been done fairly, absent any arbitrary and capricious application, with fundamental fairness and process applied along the application and enforcement route. One of my business partners defines "arbitrary and capricious" as the implementation and application of law based on "beliefs and feelings". I call it the usual rubbish and nonsense.

So, what's the point and how does it relate to flying.

Simple. There is a rapidly growing idea that those who have discretionary resources to afford flying--from your simple Cub up to being carted about on a G6.5--are "privileged" and that privilege has been attained solely at the detriment of others not so fortunate. This belief is right in line with emerging definitions of "social justice" and the "re-distributions and reparations" deemed necessary to set things right and achieve "restorative equality" for the "better of all". It's an interesting idea and there are unique roadblocks to same. But roadblocks can be removed and may be difficult to put back in place.

So, watch out for the Drones. Literally--and Figuratively.

interesting, im curious what the detriment to others is?? so just asking, it bothers me that i cant run the 100 in10 seconds i watch those guys do that and i really wish all the tracks in the country were taken away, then those privelged that do that cant do it any more. is that the way to think?? and where someone on a airliner that was privileged with a lot of money like you say hits one thats where its going to get interesting.

Last edited:
Really depends on the drone and how it is being used.

20 lbs would require a FAA Part 107 UAS license.

I had to get my 107 for work, since I use drones to inspect towers and do occasional other work with them, like bridge inspections.

The ability to put advanced sensors on the more sophisticated drones opens doors discovering integrity failures.

Drones are pretty smart and reactive. Not likely you will avoid one, more likely they will avoid you.

Drones are pretty smart and reactive. Not likely you will avoid one, more likely they will avoid you.
I would like to be convinced this action is 100% accurate. Once that is done, I'll be more apt to accept them. Until then............................

Buddy bought a Mavic Mini at Wally World. I am completely astonished at how well it works and the quality of the video. It can't be any bigger than a brick. And it has an amazing range, etc. He was showing me video, flying above the river next to our houses when suddenly it occurred to me.....

This. Is. Exactly. What. I. See.

I have participated in model aviation from the age of 4 years old.

I own a Mavic Mini, a wonderful piece of technology that I put to use filming myself and my bride ice skating just this last weekened. I love the thing. a cherished posession for sure.

Autonomous drones flying where I fly manned airplanes is scary to me. period.

Especially to think of when I have 10 paying customers seated behind me. period.

Looked for a thread about close encounters of the drone kind. Nada. Thought I’d share a conversation I had yesterday with a geophysicist regarding drone usage in class G airspace in Alaska. This guy is under contract to survey a fiber optic cable project coming off shore to onshore and across state runway property. He was under the impression no one flys lower than 500’ AGL, that it’s illegal. That his is maximum altitude is 400’ AGL and would never pose a risk to anyone flying in rural Alaska. That he carries an aviation radio to monitor traffic around airports but he’s not allowed to transmit…and that most of his drone usage is near, around and over rural runways. I’m like chit, really! I told him a story about my latest cruise down to security cove at low altitude along with a friend who was in his ADS-B equipped supercub….that included an air national guard black hawk that flew down from Bethel to “check us out” they said. And added sometimes I’m in the weeds just to find smooth air.. nothing illegal in that. Flying the beach at low tide below the grass line at the high tide line…it happens more often than you’d imagine.

Anyway. Thought I’d bring this up because it surprised me when he asked if that was me that landed while he was flying right off the end of runway 32 here in Platinum. And I told him…use the damn radio, announce where your done is just like everyone else does when we’re coming into any controlled or uncontrolled airport.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back