• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New Iberia, LA to Alaska or Bust.

His plan when he left here was to go the highway. Don't know if that has changed or not. He will have to do some back tracking if not.

Dave,

First hand: Nimpo Lake!!!!! Great food, great BS, and the best people of the planet: her name is MARY!:lol:

Well, Logan ain't bad either!

You get there heading north out of Vancover BC, or if following the highway up the Frasier River, Turn left when the mountains get less severe. It is a cool flight over/through them.

Get the Canadian charts asap, they have the vfr routs listed.

Coming to our neck of the woods, remember that Prince Rupert has NO FUEL. Get fuel in Smithers or Terrace for the coast coming north.

If you take the Casiar, head to Dease Lake, then wrap around the mountain and cross over the Stikine Platteau into the INKLIN river, follow down the TAKU, turn right and you come to Juneau. If you are here for next weekend, we will be headed to Haines on Friday, and I can point you to the fish...

Loaded for BEAR????? I might be able to point you in that direction also... they are out.

George

Coming to our neck of the woods, remember that Prince Rupert has NO FUEL..

Smithers/Terrace will work, but if you go the coast route, there is fuel a couple miles N of Rupert, seaplane dock, @ Seal Cove.
My baby Sis lives in Rupert, haven't been there yet tho. No bears @ Nimpo yet (we're 3660' so not much vegitation yet)

Getting to Seal Cove with wheels is EXPENSIVE and takes FOREVER!!!!! Don't do it!!!!!!

You have a sister? Wow, and to think I figured you were so good no parent would want more!

Go to Rupert Logan, it is a cool spot to visit. (on floats)

Oh yeah, wheels. I keep forgetting about float-challenged airplanes. :)

I have 3 (damn) sisters. Hated 'em all until I got out'a the Airforce, then they had all mysteriously turned into normal humans.

Well Dave and I spent the morning kicking around the Hell's Canyon and after a good day flyin' lookin' at heards of Elk and getting Daves bird some new shoes and a little more to finish up in the morning he will be safe and on his way north.

The new shoes are on and looking good. Wup says I can't leave just yet, we have to move the brake caliper for clearance.
What a great day of flying today, and the Hell's Canyon, now that was something I won't forget.

IMG_7411.JPG
More Elk than I ever saw before

530437_3033562043508_1396627445_32154248_1251113468_n.jpg

new shoes!!

IMG_7453.JPG

Awesome views I think I'll live here

Attachments

• 530437_3033562043508_1396627445_32154248_1251113468_n.jpg
    530437_3033562043508_1396627445_32154248_1251113468_n.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_7411.JPG
    IMG_7411.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 207
  • IMG_7440.JPG
    IMG_7440.JPG
    913.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_7453.JPG
    IMG_7453.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 182
Last edited:
I rode up 'n down that old trail on my bike (before my flyin' days). Spectacular water views from the top!

Every morning I'd stop @ a restaurant for brekky & advice. First coffee was over the road map, and the waitress would always ask about where ya from, been, going, etc. I'd ask what's cool to see/do around here. I got sent back several miles (Joseph?) to the skinny strip over the mtn to do the Hells Gate run. I don't think I tipped her enough for that good info! :)

Get up here for next weekend... well, I will be working a bit, but am planing on doing a grouse hunt monday... maybe fish on the evenings?

Steelhead baby!

You shoot grouse in the spring? What planet are you from??

the one that eats meat!

Darn right I shoot them in the spring. Hard to find the big Blues in the fall...:roll:

Hey David,

I've been following on SuperCub.org and Julie has also been updating me. Now Grasshopper looks like a proper SuperCub with the New shoes. Thanks for the pictures. I flew the Snake River in Idaho and know how inspiring that can be. I warned Julie that she may be moving to cooler climbs.
Have a great trip and keep the pics coming.
Gerry

Thanks for the images Dave. April is the best month to see elk on their winter range. I looked at 500 or so yesterday from the Cub. And coincidentally am cooking elk steaks (from last fall I should add) on the grill as I looked at your post on my iPhone.

Good luck and good weather I hope on the rest of your trip. A lot more great scenery to come.

BTW when I've looked at the elk in Hells Canyon most seemed to be on the Oregon side. Was it that way for you too?

Spinner2, all the elk we watched was on the Oregon side. Did not go past Snake River, except to land at Doug Bar (I think that was the name of the place). I was with Hot Shot and I was lost some where on the Snake River, we landed at a few spots all new to me. Awesome country!

Got the bushwheels, new Cleveland wheels and double-puck brakes. Did several landing today on the new tires, love them alot. Heading out in the morning headed for Cut Bank, Montana, weather permitting.

Just landed in Plans, MT and what a view of the mountains over the top.
And thanks to Spinner2 I can fill u in.
Had a nice tail wind to boot, 105kt most to the way.
George, I'm trying to get that way.
I agree with Steve, Wup you the man and thanks again for all the help.
Hope to post more pic soon

Your welcome to stop in Ft St John, we are headed to Alaska around May 2 or 3 for Airmen's and Valdez. If you do land at FSJ try to land at grass strip in Grandhaven it is on the west outskirts of town Dieter 250 2611883

Dave stopped in to visit and have lunch with my wife and I today. I hadn't met Dave before but he sure is a great guy with a soft voice and wonderful sense of humor. He's off for Cut Bank MT and the border now with a nice tailwind for a change.

IMG_0073.jpg

Here is Dave just after he landed. I looked at his Spot and saw he was close, heard him on the radio and got to the airport just as he taxied up. We headed over to the shop and I showed him how we make barrels.

IMG_0076.jpg

Here he is just prior to takeoff with Rob, one of the guys I work with. Rob and his brother's Cub in the background.

Attachments

• IMG_0073.jpg
    IMG_0073.jpg
    666.2 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0076.jpg
    IMG_0076.jpg
    661.4 KB · Views: 167
Dave, I guess that Sally kept us too long at lunch and the weather got you before you could head out and over the Rockies. Let me know if you need anything, I'm not too far away by plane or car. More WX moving in tomorrow evening they say. I'd get to the east side when you can even if it is this evening.

Sure is nice to have friends all over the country you never met. What a place this is!

Good thinking Dan, lets blame it on Sally :wink: I'll make early start in the morning. If it anything like this morning, it will be great crossing.
Tim I couldn't agree with you more. This has to be the best web site ever.
This is a real nice airport, trying to get the camera hooked up to the puter and download some pics.
I got this e-mail from my brother-in-law, made me laugh I thought I should share.

Dude: Why are you flying NE instead of NW?
Suggestion: Trade in them new tires on a GOOD Compass!
;-)

Back