Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pilot Flips Plane In Columbia River

Post Thanks / Like
    First things first.

#1. Loni is safe and sound.

#2. The cub is already repaired.

#3. I have over 1,000 backseat hours with Loni and we've landed places no other human beings have been and we've shared it with the world.

#4. This is my first post since SJ emailed me to stop posting.

Donald C. Martin
    Alaska Guide/Outfitter #1220
    Producer/Director
    "Cubdriver: Alaska"
    "Cubdriver: No Second Chances"

Post Thanks / Like
    What's the second things?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldCMartin View Post
    First things first.

#1. Loni is safe and sound.

#2. The cub is already repaired.

#3. I have over 1,000 backseat hours with Loni and we've landed places no other human beings have been and we've shared it with the world.

#4. This is my first post since SJ emailed me to stop posting.

Donald C. Martin
    Alaska Guide/Outfitter #1220
    Producer/Director
    "Cubdriver: Alaska"
    "Cubdriver: No Second Chances"
    Yep, that sounds like SJ, banning people, editing their posts and kicking them off the site. So what have you contributed here besides putting in a plug for your video? It still blows my mind when the takers get their panties in a wad. Thankfully there are way more people who participate and both give and take.
    Steve Pierce

Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    To be fair, Alec, my post was written quickly, only focussing on negative attributes.

There are many positive attributes to your Cub, power being one of them.

Your development of the Double-Ender is a huge creative breakthough in Super Cub performance. I can't wait to see it fly personally. And I hope the effort you and your team has made is rewarded with great performance.

My point was that at the fringes of the envelope, your airplane would handle significantly different than Loni's own Cub.
    Last edited by Bob Breeden; 04-19-2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Less is more.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Tell me (please) all this fecees flinging isn't about DVD marketing opportunities, or the lack thereof...?
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    And over on BCP the same exact initial news story was posted by a member and yet there are no allegations of management grudges over there? Exact same bloody link - but no grudge. This whiskey tango foxtrot feeling just won't go away.....

http://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=9907

"You are the Gray Rider who would not make peace with the Blue Coats, you may go in Peace." - Ten Bears

Gunny

Post Thanks / Like
    This site is the friggin fountain of youth. I turned the computer on this morning and I'm back in 8th grade.

I hated 8th grade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sierra bravo View Post
    This site is the friggin fountain of youth. I turned the computer on this morning and I'm back in 8th grade. I hated 8th grade.
    If it bothers you so much why are you getting involved?
    "You are the Gray Rider who would not make peace with the Blue Coats, you may go in Peace." - Ten Bears

Gunny

Post Thanks / Like
    This site is the friggin fountain of youth. I turned the computer on this morning and I'm back in 8th grade.

I hated 8th grade.
    I was thinking "trailer park brawl" but as usual you put things in words much better than I could. The 8th grade pegs it.

Jerry
    If it looks smooth...it might be

If it looks rough...it is!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Gunny,

Because among this site's members I have more respect for KenyaCub and ksecub than most. Contributions from those guys and other guys with similar qualifications are what makes this site valuable to me. Your huckleberry antics? Not so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gunny,

Because among this site's members I have more respect for KenyaCub and ksecub than most. Contributions from those guys and other guys with similar qualifications are what makes this site valuable to me. Your huckleberry antics? Not so much.
    And KenyaCub and ksecub "management grudge" antics and beat up manufacturers with half info antics not so much for me - so I guess were even.

Gunny

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok everybody,

Let's all take a deep breath and step away from the keyboards. The hyperbole and bickering is not helping anyone.

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    It's true. Steve does have a grudge against some NW pilots. I live in the NW and was about to write something really witty and now he's instructed everyone to step away from the keyboards. By the time it's OK to start bickering again, I'll have forgotten what I was going to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad SJ has a grudge against you guys in the NW. That way he will leave us in the NE alone

Post Thanks / Like
    ... like SJ, banning people, editing their posts and kicking them off the site. ...
    I wish SJ would edit my posts. My spelling and grammer lack consistency.

Post Thanks / Like
    You take that hyperbole stuff back--at least until some of us can figure out what it means.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Carey Gray View Post
    You take that hyperbole stuff back--at least until some of us can figure out what it means.
    Hyper: 1. a cub pilot after he sees another pilot land shorter; 2. LARGE, like the duration of this thread for some unknown reason.

Bole: 1. an instrument to contain ice cream (spelled by 8GCBC or myself); 2. term used for an amount of not so legal organic substance.

I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeez George,
    I knew it meant large ice cream bole. I was just messin' around. You take everything so seriously.

Post Thanks / Like
    The war seems to be ending ... safe to come out now?

Post Thanks / Like
    I knew bole was spelled that way. Now I don't have to edit all my engine logbook entries. Yeah!

Post Thanks / Like
    For those of you who might not know, the only reason Gunny is all up in arms, is because many years ago I had to endure a 5 minute long flight in the back of his cub, and FORGOT to send him a thank you PM. He was very quick to point out my mistake and has been on my case ever since. Get over it Gunny, the war is over!!!

Bob, thanks for your last post, but I never took your post in a negative manner. On the contrary, there is some thruth to your statements.

I personally sleep very well regardless of who understands or agrees with my opinions. Anyone who disagrees with me should accept this is a public forum, and anyone can voice their opinions, concerns, truths and lies. It's up to you to chose what you pay attention to.

See you all on better horizons.

Alec

Nimpo Lake, BC . . . AKA "the Floatplane Capital of BC"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaahhh, the laundry is out, most keyboards have cooled, beer can is empty so I'll just go to my room now.
    Sure wish Carey had a chance to air his case, that seems the only 'open container' on this trip.
    Would be interesting to hear theories on why SJ dislikes some neighborhoods!
    Oh well.
    Nimpo Lake Logan... boonie SuperCubber
    200mi (300km) from nearest stoplight... just right! - "Que hesitatus fornicatus est"

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KenyaCub View Post
    For those of you who might not know, the only reason Gunny is all up in arms, is because many years ago I had to endure a 5 minute long flight in the back of his cub, and FORGOT to send him a thank you PM. He was very quick to point out my mistake and has been on my case ever since. Get over it Gunny, the war is over!!!

Bob, thanks for your last post, but I never took your post in a negative manner. On the contrary, there is some thruth to your statements.

I personally sleep very well regardless of who understands or agrees with my opinions. Anyone who disagrees with me should accept this is a public forum, and anyone can voice their opinions, concerns, truths and lies. It's up to you to chose what you pay attention to.

See you all on better horizons.

Alec
    uggggg!!!

back to your regularly scheduled programing!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Nimpo,
    Just as I expected, it's been too long and I forgot what I was going to say. As I recall it was really witty.

I tipped my Cub over, not far from where Alec's Cub went over. Steve put the newspaper article on the website before I even had the airplane home. I was going to sue him, but I got busy and forgot that too. I got a nice hat and found out that I have some really good friends. A grudge? Certainly never had that thought. I got calls of support from all over the country.
    Gunny's a friend, I consider Loni a friend and the few times I've been around Alec, he seems to be a good guy.
    Lighten up.
    I take airplane stuff seriously, internet sites--entertainment purposes only.

Post Thanks / Like
    Don is this the part where I say.....

"There are No Second Chances"

I know shameles plug!

Plane is home ,Alec and Loni are OK with only a scratch on their reputation.
    It is a good day and time to smile and let this thread slide away.
    John
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive safely in a well preserved body but rather to slide in sideways, well used up proclaiming "WOW What a Ride"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Miss Daisy View Post
    John
    Such a well versed poet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Miss Daisy View Post
    Don is this the part where I say.....

"There are No Second Chances"

I know shameles plug!

Plane is home ,Alec and Loni are OK with only a scratch on their reputation.
    John
    Touche`.

...and I agree.

LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    We all have stories, some of us have ones were not proud of. What do they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger/smarter/ hopefully better?

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad Loni wasn't hurt and was able to walk (or swim) away. Loni was a friend of my late son and eye-witness to his death.

I remember some good advice my first CFI (a former Super Cub pilot in the Peruvian jungle and now a jet-jock) told me around the time he tried to teach me how to fly in 1973:

"The superior pilot is one who uses his superior judgment to avoid situations that might require the exercise of his superior skills"

Last edited by Norm Lunt; 05-01-2012 at 05:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mr. Lunt, just last week I went back through all of Shaun's pictures on his blog page again--something I intend to keep doing regularly as both a painful reminder and, more importantly, a vivid inspiration of what flying can be.

People like your son and Loni have motivated many of us anonymous souls out here to dream, and do, things we might never have imagined without their inspiration. Having gotten to live vicariously through the images and adventures Shaun shared with us, I hope you take some comfort in knowing that now, in return, his spirit continues to soar with many of us each time we fly.

I'm glad Loni is ok, and I'm glad there are people like him and like Shaun who are willing to go have the adventures many of us only dare to dream of.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ksecub View Post
    I can only wonder what motivates people to post this stuff. I thought this community was constructed to be productive and positive. I feel some people on this site are too eager to publicize others misfortunes. Is it that we are jealous of Loni's abilities? Are we glad to see a good pilot show some signs of fault or be human? I had higher hopes for this site. Put yourself in Loni's shoes, lets show him some respect.

For the record, I have been on my back twice and on my nose twice. I am not ashamed of it and have learned a lot by my mishaps. It has made me a better pilot and am fortunate to have lived through it. On the other hand, the last thing I would want would be someone other than myself directing attention to it on the world wide web.
    I think the point is, if it can happen to Loni, beware that it can happen to you with a less fortunate outcome!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Cliff, are you paying attention!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I know some low time pilots that can land in 100 feet and take-0ff in 150 feet in a light Cub with little training. Be it, on a beautiful sunny day, slight steady headwind, nice gravel.

But, add (estimated % added [me thinking])

* turbulence (up to 100%)
    * low light, restricted visibility, reflections (up to %25)
    * windshears (up to 100%)
    * high density altitude (up to 200%)
    * fatigue (nill to complete failure)
    * a little slope to the right or left (25%)
    * some unknown rocks or hole (10-20% or complete failure)
    * a bush that grew out of nowhere that nobody saw before (unknown)
    * Bear feces (5%)

No landing is the same twice and landing distances are not always the same regardless estimation.

Post Thanks / Like
    I never got no stinkin hat!

Post Thanks / Like
    ron,
    don't think sj gives one for just sticking ya'r nose in the sand!!!!!

jr.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea he does, I got one for ya Ron on your next trip through. You can wear it with pride. Luckily you qualified before it became stylish.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I already sent you a few of those, Ron!?

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Remember he is getting old and forgetful SJ.
    Steve Pierce

Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SJ View Post
    I thought I already sent you a few of those, Ron!?

sj
    No, I usually just borrow one of Joe's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad he's OK. After all, he seems to like the Savage Cub or did you guys miss the promotion (and supposedly more forthcoming)? That said, would many bush pilots practically use a wheels water landing just to gain another dozen yds. or so if the camera wasn't on? Seems like a low reward:risk ratio in real world flying, esp. remote locations. However, I'm not knocking any additional skill set; the more skill you have the better overall.