• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cessna 180 rear seat?

Superchub

Brighton, CO
I just bought a 74 J model and the wife would like to see a better back seat for the her/kids. I currently have the small Cessna jump seats with the re-moveable backs. I understand her desire for a bigger back seat. Does anybody have or know if a larger bench type seat will fit? Maybe you have upgraded to Atlee, BAS jumps seats and are tired of tripping over it? I plan on re-doing the interior soon so now would be a good time to find a new seat.

Thanks, Brandon

Hey B,

U should rip all of that interior out and do it like Stewart did his. It looks awesome.

Mine has no interior and painted, but not nice like SB. Down south it is fine but Perry was a block of ice in the back seat on our Montana trip :)

Lance

Oh, and I like that sling seat idea, but no experience with it. I do know those back seats u have are not very nice for a long ride!

Hey B,

U should rip all of that interior out and do it like Stewart did his. It looks awesome.

Mine has no interior and painted, but not nice like SB. Down south it is fine but Perry was a block of ice in the back seat on our Montana trip :)

Lance

he may have been cold but I don't think it hindered his ability to speak...!

OR his Appetite :lol:

Last edited:
Hey Kem.

I knew if his mouth quit moving he was frost bitten or worried about what Evan and I were going to do next!! :) needless to say he was quiet a few times!

I have two rear seats out of a 1963 Cessna 182, one blue and one cream, plus the lap belts. If you are able to verify one will work, PM for information. I am not sure if they are the same seats that were put in the 180's.

I prefer the Cessna stock jump seats to any alternative I've seen. But I want easy utility in my plane. Cushy naptime comfort is not a high priority. The Cessna jump seats are the best compromise for my family. With good cushions and upholstery they're comfortable enough. With 37 year-old upholstery? What do you expect? The same can be said for the front seats. If you want easy chair comfort you should look at 206 mid row seats. Somebody out there has an approval for the installation and it's popular among guys who prefer recliner chair comfort more than utility.

Thanks for the compliment, Lance. After a couple of years with my interior I can't think of anything I'd do to improve it.

Last edited:
Brandon
I had the small Cessna jump seats and a bench seat bottom & back that attached to the jump seat frames, it was a quite a bit better for comfort compared to the small jump seats and still allowed easy removal when needed, you could change back & forth, I may have some pictures. Also, Clu and Buster stopped by in their boat the other day with a big mess of big blue cats said you need to get signed up for Gastons.

Last edited:
Mid row seats : recovered small jumpseats (bottoms & backs) and bench seat (bottom & back) - both go on small jumpseat frames

Rear kids seat

Mikes Seats 3.JPG

Attachments

• Mikes Seats 3.JPG
    Mikes Seats 3.JPG
    421.9 KB · Views: 340
Mid row seats : recovered small jumpseats (bottoms & backs) and bench seat (bottom & back) - both go on small jumpseat frames

Rear kids seat

View attachment 6184

Mike, This looks great! If I understand correctly you just made a larger seat that would bolt on to the small jump seat frames? Did you have a extra set of seat frames for the middle row? Or did you just switch them out on the same frames?

Brandon
I had the small Cessna jump seats and a bench seat bottom & back that attached to the jump seat frames, it was a quite a bit better for comfort compared to the small jump seats and still allowed easy removal when needed, you could change back & forth, I may have some pictures. Also, Clu and Buster stopped by in their boat the other day with a big mess of big blue cats said you need to get signed up for Gastons.

I am trying to get the schedule worked out! I will be there if I can!!!

Mike, This looks great! If I understand correctly you just made a larger seat that would bolt on to the small jump seat frames? Did you have a extra set of seat frames for the middle row? Or did you just switch them out on the same frames?

They came that way and you switched them out on the same frames, I just recovered them. Normally I used one jumpseat as you have lots of room and could still carry two people, if I hauled 3 people any distance I put in the mid row bench seat, all very light weight.

he may have been cold but I don't think it hindered his ability to speak...!

OR his Appetite :lol:
If a coonass quites talkin or eatin, ya might want to check for a pulse!! Thanks Kim,hospitality and food was GREAT!! If ya get down this way holler at me,I'll take care of ya. Fly Safe Have Fun

If a coonass quites talkin or eatin, ya might want to check for a pulse!! Thanks Kim,hospitality and food was GREAT!! If ya get down this way holler at me,I'll take care of ya. Fly Safe Have Fun
Coonass needs a dog bed instead of a seat.

Ray

Consider adding rear seat shoulder harnesses to whatever seats you decide on. They're a simple and inexpensive addition.

rear shoulder strap complete.JPG

Attachments

• rear shoulder strap complete.JPG
    rear shoulder strap complete.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,288
Does anyone have information on the sling rear seat for the 180? I have a 1955 180 and have heard about this option but have never run across the STC or reference to it in the parts manual. Regarding putting rear seat shoulder harnesses in the backseat. I was all hot to install these in my plane until I started looking at the geometry of where the flaps would travel if I had full flaps down and folded the wing(s) back during an off airport landing. Saw three guys walk away from from a Piper Arrow that lost the engine on takeoff. The pilot landed straight ahead, under control and right between two trees. Took the wings off but the cockpit area was mostly intact. I assume if you did this with a high wing aircraft the flaps are going through the rear seat area. I instruct my rear seat passengers that they are to brace themselves like the airlines recommend. I have assumed this would get their heads down below the travel of the flaps if they were jammed into the cabin area.

The sling seats were made by Fairbanks Aircraft Service, which is long out of business. They are listed on the Cessna 170 TCDS as:
Fairbanks Aircraft Service Model FAS-1 seat. Installation to be in accordance 15 lb. (+70) (+70) (+70)
with Fairbanks Aircraft Service installation instruction dated September 2, 1952

They are not on the TCDS for the 180, and I don't know if they were ever approved for the 180, though I suspect they were. In any case, Fairbanks Aircraft Service is long gone, and I'd imagine the STC with it.

In any case, I have one in my C-170, and it is a sorry substitute for the folding seats that you currently have. I wouldn't wish anyone the "pleasure" of sitting in one of those things for more than an hour.

The folding seats can be quite comfortable, IF you equip them with a little comfor-foam. These are kids, right? Kids have bullet proof butts in any case. Get some decent foam and upholstery for those folders and the kids will love em.

MTV

I found the seats I need

IMG_0438.JPGIMG_0444.jpgIMG_0443.JPGIMG_0442.JPG
Here a couple of pics of the seats from a friends 180.
I believe they only fit the 74-76 models according to my parts manual.
If any body has this or my know if somebody that might have one for sale.

Thanks, Brandon (303) 521-3238

Attachments

• IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 314
  • IMG_0444.jpg
    IMG_0444.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 243
  • IMG_0443.JPG
    IMG_0443.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 329
  • IMG_0442.JPG
    IMG_0442.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 220
When I owned a Cessna I kept a mailing list (group) of all know Cessna dealers, salvage yards, Etc.
I drafted a request for quote form (standard reusable) and filled in the part number(s) and send out in an email. With in 48 hours I got lots of replies quoting or denying the request.

I would build a list in your email client of known Cessna resources (here's a start) then start emailing the list:

Get email address from:
http://www.wentworthaircraft.com/
http://www.barnstormers.com/bones000.html
http://www.airplanesalesandsalvage.com/
http://www.texasairsalvage.com/main_list.php
http://www.qualityaircraftsalvage.com/
http://www.asod.com/
http://www.preferredairparts.com/

With my Scout, when I need a part I call ACA and, it's at the hangar in 48 hours (no Cessna stick shock!)

I believe they only fit the 74-76 models according to my parts manual.
I believe that you mean 73-75 models. The 76 was changed and only attaches to the floor with 4 quick disconnects. The bolts that go in the sides are not used. Also with the 76 and sub. the seat backs have two different heights. The 4 place seating has a higher back than the 6 place seating. This is possible because the seat back is self supporting, can be tilted and does not need to attach to the hat shelf.

I have the simple fold up seats that are covered in fabric. The STC is now owned by lakeview. The virtually disappear with a click, but you need a pillow to sit on for a long ride. I did not cover mine as they are in these photos: http://lakevueaeronautics.com/id3.html

sj

Brandon,

I'm sure that more experienced Skywagon guys will chime in if I'm wrong, but I believe the pictures you posted are of an early model 180/182/185 bench seat. I'm currently working on installing an "identical" one in my 1961 185. The donor seat came from a 1962 182. Wilbur had the seat and hat shelf with the side mounting brackets when I bought the 185 from him last summer. Selkirk recommends narrowing the seat bottom by 1.5" to help installation and removal which I've done.

I like the idea of the Atlee Dodge or Lakeview Air jump seats but I just don't like how a car seat fits in those seats. Since I bought the airplane so my wife and two girls can travel with me and I'm planning on either child seat or booster seat for 3+ years yet I wanted a full bench seat for support and hopefully better comfort.

I have some pics I can share, PM me or email direct at murphypilot@yahoo.com if you would like more info.

James Smith

Brandon,

I'm sure that more experienced Skywagon guys will chime in if I'm wrong, but I believe the pictures you posted are of an early model 180/182/185 bench seat. I'm currently working on installing an "identical" one in my 1961 185. The donor seat came from a 1962 182. Wilbur had the seat and hat shelf with the side mounting brackets when I bought the 185 from him last summer. Selkirk recommends narrowing the seat bottom by 1.5" to help installation and removal which I've done.

I like the idea of the Atlee Dodge or Lakeview Air jump seats but I just don't like how a car seat fits in those seats. Since I bought the airplane so my wife and two girls can travel with me and I'm planning on either child seat or booster seat for 3+ years yet I wanted a full bench seat for support and hopefully better comfort.

I have some pics I can share, PM me or email direct at murphypilot@yahoo.com if you would like more info.

James Smith

James,
I am in the same boat. Two small kids that fight about who is riding up front. That leaves Mom in the back. The Cessna, BAS, Atlee seats although small and handy just are not good cross country seats for the Queen of the household. I believe I have found a seat but no deal yet. I like the 1.5 inch reduction idea. I would love some pics if you have them...

Brandon

James, does your 185 still smell like Corona?

Pierce, the extra padding gets in the way if say you are trying to extricate yourself after landing in a tree, or if you are upside down in a shallow creek. You started it.

sj

I like the idea of the Atlee Dodge or Lakeview Air jump seats but I just don't like how a car seat fits in those seats.

I went through this process last year and decided to retain the stock toadstool seats for now. My son rides in the back in his car seat and we leave the other toadstool seat out which saves 10 pounds per seat. My wife found a car seat that's FAA approved made by Sunshine Kids (model # US19500) that fits back there fine and also works in the back seat of my truck. Not saying you need an FAA approved car seat -- just that my wife is serious about it and that's what makes her happy.

Biggest issue flying my son is that he's a headset snob and wouldn't use the kiddie headset I bought from Sportys. He likes the way the Bose ANR headset fits though so I got a used one on eBay. We can plug the iPad into the intercom, isolate his jack, and he can watch Sesame Street or whatever as we go.

Maybe I'll do something different when we're out of the car seat phase but that's a few years away.

Since 1990 I have had

1. A sling seat; light , yet very uncomfortable for more than a quick ride.
2. A big high back bench; very comfortable, yet heavy and hard to remove and install.
3. 206 middle seats installed per the Kenmore STC. They are the sweet spot as far as I'm concerned. I considered the BAS/Lakevue type of fold-up seats, but we fly some long trips(upstate NY to OSH, FL, ME) routinely and they didn't seem that comfortable. The 206 seats are light, comfortable for adults, and come out so fast(30 seconds?) that if we end up with the RH float at the dock I'll just pull the RH rear seat out to get to the baggage. One seat removed makes for a nice 3-adult camping airplane.IMG_20120225_185022.jpgIMG_20120225_185208.jpgIMG_20120225_185842.jpgIMG_20120225_190225.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20120225_185022.jpg
    IMG_20120225_185022.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 275
  • IMG_20120225_185208.jpg
    IMG_20120225_185208.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_20120225_185842.jpg
    IMG_20120225_185842.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 255
  • IMG_20120225_190225.jpg
    IMG_20120225_190225.jpg