Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: FAC L-19's with big friends

Post Thanks / Like
    Marine Corps Aviation since 1966

Post Thanks / Like
    Reminds me when I was flying UH1's around the Central Highlands in II Corp in the 60's. We used to meet up with an Air Force guy flying a Bird Dog. We would each do something the other could not do. We would fly formation with us leading then start getting slower and slower until he would have to quit or stall. He would then do some aerobatic type maneuvers that we could not, or shoot off a rocket which we did not have. One time we landed in a field we were sure was too short for him and taunted him to try doing that. Heck if he didn't come in and land next to us. We told him we would probably have to sling him out, but that wasn't necessary. We were quite impressed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Right on subject. I am halfway through a good book about these FAC's. Some were L-19 guys, but the book is about the fast FACs using F-100s. It is full of first person stories. The unit was started by Bud Day, but he got shot down early. These were brave guys! The book is "Misty" edited by Major General Don Shepperd, USAF (Ret.).

Post Thanks / Like
    I have read a few good books about vietnam FAC's O-1 and O-2's. Try Naked in Danang, and Here there are tigers(AF O-2 facs), and One hundred feet over hell, Army O-1's

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrol Guy View Post
    Right on subject. I am halfway through a good book about these FAC's. Some were L-19 guys, but the book is about the fast FACs using F-100s. It is full of first person stories. The unit was started by Bud Day, but he got shot down early. These were brave guys! The book is "Misty" edited by Major General Don Shepperd, USAF (Ret.).
    Bud Day was the Air Advisor with the 107th TFG of NYANG.

He is also a fellow RAT ( Retired Air Technician)

While qualifying for in-flight refueling Bud twisted the probe like a pretzel.

I reminded him of our custom :

Inflight Refueling Probe damage = bottle of scotch

Punch tailskid into afterburner = case of beer

When Bud delivered the bottle it was the last time I saw him in person.

He was present @ cellmate McCain's nomination & I did see him on tv.

I never did drink the contents as I learned Bud has imprisoned soon after arriving in Vietnam.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of my instructors in Tech School electronics had been an F4 Phantom pilot and instructor.

When sent to Viet Nam in the mid-60s, he got stuck in an L-19 flying FAC. Upon learning that, I asked him who he pi**ed off. He never said...

They had a pretty miserable job, indeed.

Jon