• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cub that has been Mauled or Maule that has been Cubed

Mauleguy

I am working on my latest creation, I am crossing the things I love about the Maule into the things I love about a Cub for an experimental that is probably more Supercub then Maule. I have taken a partial Maule fuselage supplied by my buddy Bushwheel Bill and add my own tubing from the rear bulkhead area back using the Supercub drawings to mimic the structure of a cub. I plugged all the hardpoints from a Maule and a Supercub into my cad and found that there are some things that are the same but most are different. The one that surprised me the most is that the engine placement to wing placement is within an 1". I decide to start the changes that made sense from things I have seen Doug Keller do. I will post some pictures of the fuselage modified this weekend. I am excited about this project but like a lot of people the progress will be slow, I think it will take me at least two years and lots of head scratching. It will have a jack screw, cub style cowl, greater angle of incidence then a stock cub, angle valve O-360 with constant speed propeller at the very minimum, centerline seat for pilot with control stick, flap handle and throttle will be in same place as cub, heel brakes, cub wing with Dougs flaps, cub tail feathers and the list goes on. I hope to come in at 1200lbs empty.

Greg

Sounds awesome. I gather it will be a 3 place airplane? The constant speed prop will be a departure from your other builds. What prop are you thinking? Can't wait to see it. Keep us posted on the progress.

Joe

P.S. What is Vol. 5 all about? Can you leak a release date?

Greg, I am very excited about this new project. I was wondering when you were going to do something like this.

Jason

Way cool! Looking forward to photos and updates. Will there be any controls in rear? Not that you need any, but just curious. I can think of other planes where all you need is the pilot up front with controls, gives you best view and no need to cramp yourself.

Greg, thanks for sharing.

I knowof a PA-12 that's been Mauled...extended Maule wings with slats......Heck of a performer, similar to a Mackey-slatted a/c. It's only got a 160HP.

Keep us updated!

I just think its cool from a creative standpoint! I look forward to seeing it fly and the ensuing head scratching as pilots try to figure out what it is. Lastly, I'm sure it'll push the STOL envelope and help us all learn what's possible. Watching closely!

Sounds pretty cool, but Why a greater wing incidence then the cub. Just curious.

John

I have the 200HP IO360A1B6 angle valve on my other toy..RV8. Oil runs a little hot, its a little heavier, and is easier to start with a Lightspeed on the right side. Prop is a Hartzell cons sp. This engine is smooooth. The oil runs hot but pressures are always good and the CHT on #3 never gets over 325. Lycoming says the oil will be warmer due to an extra amount of oil being squirted on the cyclinders. I think Aviat had to install two oil coolers on their install, not sure.

Greg,

out of curiosity, if you don't mind sharing, what gear will you use?

Maule gear is speedy, and strong looking at what the are designed for, but cub gear changes quick...

If using Doug's Flaps, are you going to extend them to the fuselage or keep cub length?

Thanks

George

It is a 3 place and I will move the rear seat position forward for CG, the passenger legs will be along side of the pilot seat. No rear controls, that is one thing I like about Bushwacker is knowing no one is going to be on the peddles.

I have a compact Hartzel that is 86" that I am going to try.

On the wing incidence, the Maule wing attach points are 1 11/16" different between the rear and front attach, the Super Cub stock is 2 1/2" I believe. Most the airplanes that really perform are running another 1/2 degree or so. I decided to add the 1/2 degree from the get go which will put mine at around 2 7/8", I could increase it more with the wing attach brackets that I machine that bolt to the spar if I decide I want even a little more later (bracket can add another 1/2").

I do worry a little about how hot it might run but my hope is that it will cruise at 125 mph and land at 38 mph, in cruise flight it should have pretty good airflow for cooling.

I already built the gear, it will be 5" extended Maule style gear with urethane filled oleos. I moved the gear back about 4 1/2" from a stock Maule gear, I did not change the gear attach points but changed the angle of the front tub to be rearward of the front gear fitting, it looks pretty good actually (to me). I extended the fuselage 18" from a stock Super Cub based on the rear attach wing fitting of a cub.

The flaps will be longer then a stock cub flap for sure but probably can't go to the fuselage because of the shape i.e. not square like a cub. I want an extended cub wing, squared off with a nice balance of aileron to flap length.

http://www.supercub.org/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=35686&title=modified-fuselage&cat=921

As nice as a Reese's Cup!! A perfect match.

Should be able to see out of both sides, too.

Bet Mikeo will have an issue with that name, akt';-).

The name has been a problem so far, I need something that is fitting but have not come up with anything yet.

MaulerCub :headset1:

Since you started with a Maule airframe, I'd say it's a Maule thats been Cubbed.

Last edited:
Wow, that looks like a a really neat project. The estimated performance sounds awesome. I'm curious why you decided to extend the fuselage 18", I know there have been some experimental cubs that have done this, but what is the advantage? Wouldn't this reduce your "useful" angle of attack for landing and takeoff? Also, I'm curious about the factors that led to the decision to use a cub wing, rather than a Maule wing?

Sean

I decided to use the cub wing for a couple reasons, I am pretty sure if you added up weight per foot of wing, a fabric covered wing is lighter. The second reason is strut placement, I want a longer wing then a stock Maule would have, even the long wing which is the current wing on Bushwacker is shorter then what I am after. To extend the Maule wing and not move the strut attach point farther out would be a mistake I think. I really don't want to build a set of wings from scratch and I think an extended Dakota wing might just be the ticket for what I am after.

The 18" extended fuselage comes from Doug Keller's last cub creation, He thought it worked better for more control authority which I am after. That one is probably a little harder to quantify, and you are correct that I will give up some angle of attack but I am also building into the fuselage more then stock wing incidence.

I want to build a cub with an empty weight under 1100 lbs with a constant speed prop that will have a similar speed range to your latest creation.
One of the major design changes would be a carbon fiber ,cantilever style wing, It's weight would be about the same as a stock cub wing but it would have no lift struts like a Cessna cardinal.
The carbon fiber construction was required to get the weight down to the point where it was comparable to the current wing. I have also been looking into quite a few other draggy areas of a super cub like the gear and tail design.

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

..Mongo, the cantilevered carbon fiber cub wing would lend itself well to "variable incidence". Love to see you pull it off!

Greg, how much incidence? slotted Dakota?

I was not going to do the slotted wing.
I am not sure what the angle of incidence would be in degrees, I took the cub horizontal reference line and used it in relationship to the wing attach points, engine attach point and tail post height. I did not carry the tail post out at the angle a stock cub would be extended 18" but left it at where a stock cub would be if the 18" where not considered if that makes sense. I then changed the front wing attach point to be 2.875" higher then the rear wing attach point.

Greg, I noticed the onger tail on Doug's Cub he had at Valdez a few years ago. I figured it was a CG thing. What is the main idea behind lengthening and is it the elevator control that it enhances. I also noticed the ailerons and wondered about their tapered design. What do you like better about the Maule over the Super Cub? Having had Pacers I like the room etc. better they don't fly near as good as a Cub and I prefer flying with a stick rather than a yoke. Thanks, looks like a very interesting project.

I would like someone building a Bearhawk to comment on this project. Me thinky , with useful load between 1100 &1300. and 360-C engine .It would be good set up

The increase of the front fitting height to 2.875" from 1.6875" will increase the angle between attach fittings by 2.2 degrees. That should increase the AOI by the same number. I'll leave it for you to decide what the AOI was on the original airframe.

Maule or cub tail? Going squared or oversized? Guessing cub since the jackscrew was mentioned, but I guess either can be modified....

The original AOI is 1.8-2 degrees. Increasing that by 2.2 degrees sounds like a lot of incidence to me. Just my opinion, but I hope it works out for you. be interesting to see how it flies and performs.

John

The original AOI is 1.8-2 degrees. Increasing that by 2.2 degrees sounds like a lot of incidence to me. Just my opinion, but I hope it works out for you. be interesting to see how it flies and performs.

John

John, it's just a number. It is working on several Hotrod Cubs. It is working very well.

SteveP. One pilot thinks the long-tail of Doug's is somewhat "ponderous" in handling....'cuz the guy loves a Cub and will always compare stuff to a good stock Cub. I haven't flown it, but would appreciate any other opinions about the long-tail.

I did not post the actual angle because the angle at which the wing brackets are attach to the fuselage is probably not the actual angle of incidence although it would be pretty close... I am not to concerned about the amount I changed it (1 11/16 to 2 7/8") because it works on a cub and really I am just building a fat cub when it comes down to it. The length that I added to the fuselage was to make the elevators more effective, I will not increase the size of the horizontals or elevator but use stock cub tail feathers. The vertical fin and the rudder will be increased in size but still be round like a cub.

Greg

Greg If you are interested I know a guy with a 0360 angle valve 200hp. w/constant speed for sale if you are interested let me know I can get you in touch with the guy. and/or more info. Pat 218 966-2203

Back