• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Leading edge slats ?

knucles

nevada
Read different posts trying to learn more about leading edge slats. These are the type sold by backcountry cubs and used on the sq2 .
Do they always extend at the same time and rate ?
What about slowing down in a turn ?
What about sideslips ?
Thanks for any info.

Do they always extend at the same time and rate ? NO, THEY ARE SENSITIVE TO THE LOCAL PRESSURE AND ANGLES OF THE AIR STREAM "LOCALLY" ON EACH PORTION OF THE WING.
What about slowing down in a turn ? COULD YOU PHRASE YOUR QUESTION MORE SPECIFICALLY?
What about sideslips ? AGAIN, COULD YOU REPHRASE YOUR QUESTION

As far as airspeed "decay" in a turn, like maybe turning and losing airspeed, the slats will keep the wing flying far beyond what you would expect. With the slats, one can have the a/c already flying very slow and do a 180 reversal in what seems to be less than a wingspan. I know it's hard to believe this!

As far as slipping with slats, it is a non-issue. There is no problem at all.

In fact, there are no problems with the Wayne Mackey slats. They are incredible and people cannot believe how fun and easy it makes the Cub to fly very, very slow or maneuver incredibly tightly. You can do dumb things and get away with it!!

Check this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EDbUn0_2rg ....It was estimated at 12-14MPH wind.

You have answered my questions. I think i am going to use the slats on a supercub. I am still wondering if a constant speed composite prop is worth it. For most use.

Anyone who has a chance oughtta go fly a slatted Cub. It's a ball, and will open your eyes!

Dave

I haven't had the pleasure of flying the slats and am intrigued by them. I saw that there was a set advertised for sale in the classified and a note that they didn't aid in float flying (I assume because your not flying such high angles of attack?).

My question is: since I already have VG's and the slats are a bolt on option do I have to remove the VG's or will they work in conjunction with each other? Not sure the slats are for me but I can see where they really enhance your slow flight characteristics.

Dale, you are correct about slats and float takeoffs. They still provide great fun and safety for steep approaches, though!

VG's: Wayne Mackey deserves the credit for slats as we know them these days. He puts VG's about an inch behind where the trailing edge of his slat design meets the wing's top surface. This is likely to be further back than your existing VG's. If you install slats, you'll remove your existing VG's, do a repair to the paint finish if necessary, and install VG's where Wayne recommends.

C'mon Dale - you gonna let em talk like that about your ole A-model? Thems fightn words

There is alot to be said for a well-worn Cub!

It is soooo nice to be in a clean, fresh, shiny newly done Cub, but then the old rough bird has a charm and purpose as well.

I fart in the general direction of guys whose ego is tied to their shiny Cub.:)

I saw the ad on ebay. Looks good but i will buy mine from backcountry cubs. I do not mind to pay a bit more to buy stuff from an existing business. It helps to keep them in operation. In turn , they are there when i need them.
I have been buying parts from lancair for years , when i could buy many of the items cheaper from other sources.
I do this because they give me some loyalty and do help me out when i need it . I want good companies available to help me out.

Roger , you are so right, my beater cub is a work of art and has personality!

but its easy to see Rudolph the red nose spotted gray deer coming in!

Mike.... Ouch... but you know I have put a lot of time and money to into making that cub right, it lands slow and short and would take off shorter if it had more horsepower or less of me... At least I fly my cub, a lot, unlike so many others... Gas costs money and paint adds weight, I'd rather add gas.... but I did buy a new nose bowl ;-)

And... Dave... I appreciate your sentiment, my cub may not be a 150k pretty boy cub..... but it takes me there and back without complaint, and if I poke a hole in the fabric I am not going to shed crocodile tears..

As for George.. how is the Chicken flying???? When you are back together and freshly painted then you will have earned the right to flip me crap about my paint, until; then get to plowing snow ;-)

BTW I am out of town until Saturday, will one of you check on my plane, please!

I wonder why the VGs aft of the slat? My understanding of slats and slots is that they work like a venturi and the air coming through the slot stays stuck and I would think all of it is unlike a VG which creates channels of stuck air.

...apparently we'll be looking for a rat-dog to take in out of the snow and cold?:)

Hurry home. :)

Dave

Roger ties down very close to me on the ski strip and was kind of enough to check on it, he says the ropes were tight and will pull the snow off the wings if it gets too heavy, i cleaned it Sunday before I left. Having friends that will do that for you is part of what makes this such a great group.

With all this snow February and March should be some GREAT ski flying.... Can't wait to get home, Minot today Williston tomorrow and home Saturday, it's been a long week.

Dale,

been moving snow... latest was 980D VS. unmarked electrical box...

Any guess on who won that night?

I need a good kick on the cub... if I could stay out of the equipment it would help! got called back to Haines, so got the strip packed down again, so anyone can land without the Mackey slats... if you wanted to.

The slats give some high angles of attack, that is for sure. about need a periscope or plexi floor to see on approach. Maybe Randy will take me up in his bird one day to check it out!

Anybody put slats on over Micro VG's? Talked to Wayne Makey about it and he said the best location for the VG's would be 1 inch behind the slats after install. A little late as I already have the Micro VG's and hate to ruin the paint pulling them off. He stated he had never heard of, or flown the slats with the VG's in the original location (MICRO VG's)....

Brandon

I put Wayne's slats on a Smith Cub several years ago that already had Micro VGs. Had to take them off and we installed them an inch back like Wayne recommended.

Back