Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Cub '95' Weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's another way around that , too, and you can still have a shielded ignition system installed.

With a shielded ignition, use REM-41E spark plugs in the bottom of all 4 cylinders. They are the standard length plugs. Use 2 REM-37BY plugs in the top of the aft cylinders. Those are shorter plugs. In the top of the two forward cylinders, use unshielded ceramic plugs but cover them with Air Associates shielding cups. The ignition leads enter these at a 45 degree angle and will need the special B nuts that come with the cups installed on their plug ends. All of this fits under the standard cowl without having to cut holes in the cowling.
    Thanks Jonnyo thanked for this post
    Likes Eddy Lewis liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont like the looks of the cowl bumps??

Post Thanks / Like
    Is 71 Charlie the one done by Scootair? I am sorry now I did not just go get it with a handful of cash.

Post Thanks / Like
    The objective on this restoration was to keep the airplane in as close to original configuration as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tempdoug View Post
    Dont like the looks of the cowl bumps??
    The objective of this restoration was to keep the airplane in as original configuration as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is the altimeter in that cub (pictured) catty-wampus for a reason or am I just un-cub-sperienced ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTonChamp View Post
    Is the altimeter in that cub (pictured) catty-wampus for a reason or am I just un-cub-sperienced ?
    Non-Sensitive Alt. Gauge face rotates not the single needle

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cubus Maximus View Post
    This guy was pretty light:

Was? Beautiful 18-95. Same owner for years. Name:  Heart.jpeg
Views: 601
Size:  1.5 KB
    Likes MainlandCub liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,
    I just completed restoration and weighted my PA 18-95 1954, with C90-12F, starter and dynamo, macauley metal prop, scull spinner, aft battery, cleveland brakes and 6.00-6 / 6 ply tyres, scott 3200 tailwheel, two tanks, F101 fabric, light paint, standard seats. Basic instruments plus three vacuum, clock, add’three 2” engine instr, trig TT21 and TY91 xpdr and com. 4 quarts oil, no fuel, led nav lights, led landing lights, four strobes: 1003 lb (455 kg). Ah: no flaps.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Uh I forgot: a few diagonal reinforcing tubes have been added along the rear fuselage section.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    fresh from the scales...
    My L-18C with 5qt of oil and non-useable fuel weights 955lbs. (433kg); CG @ 15.16in. (38.5cm) behind LE.
    Conti C90-12F with Delco-Remy starter and generator, Marvel-Schebler carburetor, battery in baggage compartment, metal prop, original expander tube brakes, two fuel tanks (2x 18gal.)
    nav-lights, ACL
    radio, XPDR, AT-1 (traffic warning device) and minimum VFR-instruments
    Ceconite

Quite a difference to what Piper claims for a basic PA-18-95 (PA-18 Owner's Handbook): 800lbs. I know a basic PA-18-95 has a wood prop, only one fuel tank and no electric system, but covered in cotton... Well, I am not sure if it explains 155lbs. difference.

On the other hand the Owner's Handbook says a PA-18-95 will cruise at 100MPH which I never come near...

Björn
    Likes J3Jim liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Björn I get an honest 90-95 mph in my 1951 steed

On a cold winter day it will do 100mph at 2350 rpm

I have metal prop two wing tanks com xpdr but an 8-F so no accessories and EW is 902lbs

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Altmuehltaler View Post
    fresh from the scales...
    My L-18C with 5qt of oil and non-useable fuel weights 955lbs. (433kg); CG @ 15.16in. (38.5cm) behind LE.
    Conti C90-12F with Delco-Remy starter and generator, Marvel-Schebler carburetor, battery in baggage compartment, metal prop, original expander tube brakes, two fuel tanks (2x 18gal.)
    nav-lights, ACL
    radio, XPDR, AT-1 (traffic warning device) and minimum VFR-instruments
    Ceconite

Quite a difference to what Piper claims for a basic PA-18-95 (PA-18 Owner's Handbook): 800lbs. I know a basic PA-18-95 has a wood prop, only one fuel tank and no electric system, but covered in cotton... Well, I am not sure if it explains 155lbs. difference.

On the other hand the Owner's Handbook says a PA-18-95 will cruise at 100MPH which I never come near...

Björn
    Nice!
    Did you recently restore it?
    What would a light weight starter/alternator save you?
    Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Bjorn, do you use all that fuel?

Post Thanks / Like
    @ L18C-95: My bird is from 1952 (ex ALAT). Looking at your avatar I think yours is ex ALAT, too. Max speed I ever saw was 88MPH @ 2300RPM last month. But due to low temps I taped the rectangular opening below the prop.
    I know two German Air Force L-18Cs (one fuel tank, -8F engine, metal prop, radio, XPDR, nav-lights, ACL). I flew one of them and flew formation with the other one. They are in a similar speed range as I am... Next flight I will try 2350RPM!

@J3Jim: It has been restored in the mid 1980s. I would love to put a light weight starter/alternator on it. Before starting with this I have to save some money... And check if this is legal in Germany. A B&C starter is legal. Not sure about the alternator... I dreamed about asking MT Propeller if they would carve my a wood prop... Well, as time goes by...
    And no, I nearly never use all the fuel. I cannot sit for 6+h...

Post Thanks / Like
    lol me too. I had a J3-90 with 24 gallons n burned about 5.5 per hour but my bladder could do more than 2 hours. It did 84 mph.
    The only thing I didn’t like was hand propping. So I’m researching -18-95s with electrical systems n getting feedback from owners. Thanks for sharing.
    How do you like your -95?

Post Thanks / Like
    I used to see 84MPH, too. Then I removed the gyros including two venturies and some minor stuff, an unused ADF-antenna and VOR-antenna and sealed the door. When I remove the tape from the nose cowl I will see if I gained some speed. But I guess the main factor is the tape on the nose cowl.
    I don't mind to hand prop. The Air Force L-18C I used to fly has no starter (C90-8F). You can hand prop it from behind the prop. We set the parking brake and check that it holds, prime, crack the throttle, both mags, left food in front of the right wheel, left hand on the windscreen frame and prop with the right hand. Once you get the groove it works really well.
    I love our -95. We do mainly sunset flying and it is perfect for this mission. From a flying feeling/handling/seat of the pants/you know what I mean point of view it is the best I know. Like gliders or Bücker Jungmann or Pitts. But gliders and aerobatic biplanes are a different topic and not to be compared to a Super Cub.
    Soon I will do a sea plane rating on a J3 and in summer I will have the opportunity to fly a PA-18-150. Anyway, I am very optimistic that I will still love our little bird!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Altmuehltaler View Post
    Björn,

I cruise my 90 hp Super Cub at 2400 rpm, and it is right at 100 mph on a cool day. A little slower in the hot weather, but not much.
    Joe

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat

Post Thanks / Like
    First of all... Thank you everybody for all the information! It is a great forum.

I will try 2400RPM.

I just had a look at the Owner's Manual. According to it a PA-18-95 cruises 100MPH @ 75% (section I, page 1). In section III, page 18 it says 75% are 2275RPM. I have the feeling that Piper ( and I guess all other manufacturers in those days, too) was a bit optimistic. Or the statute mile used to be a bit shorter...

Anyway, speed is not the reason to fly and own a Cub.
    Likes CamTom12, 40m, jnorris liked this post