• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Super Cub '95' Weight.

Personally, the current posts on this thread are interesting! To paraphrase a line from an old Debbie Reynolds movie...."if you don't happen to like it, pass it by"!

Our PA-11 is serial #284 and is in original configuration with a C90-8F engine and a Sensenich W76CK-40 wood propeller. Empty weight on this airplane as weighed on calibrated digital scales is 775 pounds.

Swap the 800x4s for Federal A-1500 skis and the net gain is 10 pounds. Use a metal propeller and the net gain comes to 14 pounds and would incidentally take the empty weight center of gravity just out of the forward limits without four pounds of ballast added at the tailwheel forward attach point. [I guess that would make the net gain for the metal prop total 18 pounds.]

How do the upgrades to 105, 115 n 125HP effect performance n empty weight? Thx!!
The engines weigh more. Therefore the CG shifts forward. The CG shift forward reduces performance. For an accurate comparison you will need the CG to be in the same location. Your J-3 performs better with you in the back seat doesn't it?

The engines weigh more. Therefore the CG shifts forward. The CG shift forward reduces performance. For an accurate comparison you will need the CG to be in the same location. Your J-3 performs better with you in the back seat doesn't it?

So does the 11, anytime I put myself in a bad spot I got in the back, big difference. I still do in my pa-18 0200 clone

Glenn

This guy was pretty light:

L1B0390.jpg

L1B0395.jpg

DSC00062.jpg

L1B0143.jpg

L1B0297.jpg

L1B0284.jpg

Would you mind sharing some details and specs on your -95.
Why is there no blisters on your cowl? Thx!

Would you mind sharing some details and specs on your -95.
Why is there no blisters on your cowl? Thx!

Blisters not required if you don't use shielded spark plugs. No radio, no need for shielded plugs.

MTV

There's another way around that , too, and you can still have a shielded ignition system installed.

With a shielded ignition, use REM-41E spark plugs in the bottom of all 4 cylinders. They are the standard length plugs. Use 2 REM-37BY plugs in the top of the aft cylinders. Those are shorter plugs. In the top of the two forward cylinders, use unshielded ceramic plugs but cover them with Air Associates shielding cups. The ignition leads enter these at a 45 degree angle and will need the special B nuts that come with the cups installed on their plug ends. All of this fits under the standard cowl without having to cut holes in the cowling.

The objective on this restoration was to keep the airplane in as close to original configuration as possible.

Hello,
I just completed restoration and weighted my PA 18-95 1954, with C90-12F, starter and dynamo, macauley metal prop, scull spinner, aft battery, cleveland brakes and 6.00-6 / 6 ply tyres, scott 3200 tailwheel, two tanks, F101 fabric, light paint, standard seats. Basic instruments plus three vacuum, clock, add’three 2” engine instr, trig TT21 and TY91 xpdr and com. 4 quarts oil, no fuel, led nav lights, led landing lights, four strobes: 1003 lb (455 kg). Ah: no flaps.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando SuperCub.Org

Uh I forgot: a few diagonal reinforcing tubes have been added along the rear fuselage section.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando SuperCub.Org

fresh from the scales...
My L-18C with 5qt of oil and non-useable fuel weights 955lbs. (433kg); CG @ 15.16in. (38.5cm) behind LE.
Conti C90-12F with Delco-Remy starter and generator, Marvel-Schebler carburetor, battery in baggage compartment, metal prop, original expander tube brakes, two fuel tanks (2x 18gal.)
nav-lights, ACL
radio, XPDR, AT-1 (traffic warning device) and minimum VFR-instruments
Ceconite

Quite a difference to what Piper claims for a basic PA-18-95 (PA-18 Owner's Handbook): 800lbs. I know a basic PA-18-95 has a wood prop, only one fuel tank and no electric system, but covered in cotton... Well, I am not sure if it explains 155lbs. difference.

On the other hand the Owner's Handbook says a PA-18-95 will cruise at 100MPH which I never come near... ;-)

Björn

Björn I get an honest 90-95 mph in my 1951 steed

On a cold winter day it will do 100mph at 2350 rpm

I have metal prop two wing tanks com xpdr but an 8-F so no accessories and EW is 902lbs

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

fresh from the scales...
My L-18C with 5qt of oil and non-useable fuel weights 955lbs. (433kg); CG @ 15.16in. (38.5cm) behind LE.
Conti C90-12F with Delco-Remy starter and generator, Marvel-Schebler carburetor, battery in baggage compartment, metal prop, original expander tube brakes, two fuel tanks (2x 18gal.)
nav-lights, ACL
radio, XPDR, AT-1 (traffic warning device) and minimum VFR-instruments
Ceconite

Quite a difference to what Piper claims for a basic PA-18-95 (PA-18 Owner's Handbook): 800lbs. I know a basic PA-18-95 has a wood prop, only one fuel tank and no electric system, but covered in cotton... Well, I am not sure if it explains 155lbs. difference.

On the other hand the Owner's Handbook says a PA-18-95 will cruise at 100MPH which I never come near... ;-)

Björn
Nice!
Did you recently restore it?
What would a light weight starter/alternator save you?
Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

@ L18C-95: My bird is from 1952 (ex ALAT). Looking at your avatar I think yours is ex ALAT, too. Max speed I ever saw was 88MPH @ 2300RPM last month. But due to low temps I taped the rectangular opening below the prop.
I know two German Air Force L-18Cs (one fuel tank, -8F engine, metal prop, radio, XPDR, nav-lights, ACL). I flew one of them and flew formation with the other one. They are in a similar speed range as I am... Next flight I will try 2350RPM! :smile:

@J3Jim: It has been restored in the mid 1980s. I would love to put a light weight starter/alternator on it. Before starting with this I have to save some money... And check if this is legal in Germany. A B&C starter is legal. Not sure about the alternator... I dreamed about asking MT Propeller if they would carve my a wood prop... Well, as time goes by...
And no, I nearly never use all the fuel. I cannot sit for 6+h... ;-)

lol me too. I had a J3-90 with 24 gallons n burned about 5.5 per hour but my bladder could do more than 2 hours. It did 84 mph.
The only thing I didn’t like was hand propping. So I’m researching -18-95s with electrical systems n getting feedback from owners. Thanks for sharing.
How do you like your -95?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I used to see 84MPH, too. Then I removed the gyros including two venturies and some minor stuff, an unused ADF-antenna and VOR-antenna and sealed the door. When I remove the tape from the nose cowl I will see if I gained some speed. But I guess the main factor is the tape on the nose cowl.
I don't mind to hand prop. The Air Force L-18C I used to fly has no starter (C90-8F). You can hand prop it from behind the prop. We set the parking brake and check that it holds, prime, crack the throttle, both mags, left food in front of the right wheel, left hand on the windscreen frame and prop with the right hand. Once you get the groove it works really well.
I love our -95. We do mainly sunset flying and it is perfect for this mission. From a flying feeling/handling/seat of the pants/you know what I mean point of view it is the best I know. Like gliders or Bücker Jungmann or Pitts. But gliders and aerobatic biplanes are a different topic and not to be compared to a Super Cub.
Soon I will do a sea plane rating on a J3 and in summer I will have the opportunity to fly a PA-18-150. Anyway, I am very optimistic that I will still love our little bird! :up

Björn,

I cruise my 90 hp Super Cub at 2400 rpm, and it is right at 100 mph on a cool day. A little slower in the hot weather, but not much.

First of all... Thank you everybody for all the information! It is a great forum.

I will try 2400RPM.

I just had a look at the Owner's Manual. According to it a PA-18-95 cruises 100MPH @ 75% (section I, page 1). In section III, page 18 it says 75% are 2275RPM. I have the feeling that Piper ( and I guess all other manufacturers in those days, too) was a bit optimistic. Or the statute mile used to be a bit shorter...:???:

Anyway, speed is not the reason to fly and own a Cub.

1028 on certified scales. Lots of electric do dads to get rid of. Metal prop, two wing tanks, -12f powerplant. Paperwork says it put on 125 lbs while in the care of its previous owner.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Back