• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

battery question

I did it as part of putting a Big(by scout standards) extended baggage area in.... no fwg CG issues, with all his cr*p back there....

I should say, instead of the rear baggage compartment, the REAR glove box! Very little room back there in the Scout.

My Scout has the RG25, the float/ski hydro pump, and a bunch of survival gear there in the back, my CG is decent for now.

Thank you for the follow thru on this thread, I learned a lot.

... the REAR glove box! Very little room back there in the Scout.

no, this one is full size of next bay, from bottom longerons, to against formers, all the way to the top... left the factory removable rear baggage panel, so he could hide all his gear in extended baggage when parked..... was kinda not fun doing it on a covered plane.... still small by cub standards, don't remember if I took pictures... was couple years ago...

Good to know, thank you. If someday you find easy access to the photo shoot it over. I much appreciate the guidance. --8GCBC

I have gotten them field approved in other airplanes. You can prove the battery meets a PMA which satisfies the feds on the part and then you just have to approve the installation.

Also, on a Part 23 airplane, the battery has to meet the electrical load requirements of the aircraft and it's installed equipment, at least according to one FSDO I've met....

MTV

8GCBC:

ACA now has the firewall battery on the TC, no stc required. I did the batt move as part of the extended baggage install on my Scout, which is required with that stc.
You have to use the PMA Hawker version of the battery, not the oddyssy PC680. You will lose about 13 lbs with the small batt which is good for our portly Scouts. It will really whirl the starter with the new short cables. Wont do you much good if you need some ballast in the rear for the amphibs.

your Scout brother

Jim

8GCBC:

ACA now has the firewall battery on the TC, no stc required. I did the batt move as part of the extended baggage install on my Scout, which is required with that stc.
You have to use the PMA Hawker version of the battery, not the oddyssy PC680. You will lose about 13 lbs with the small batt which is good for our portly Scouts. It will really whirl the starter with the new short cables. Wont do you much good if you need some ballast in the rear for the amphibs.

your Scout brother

Jim

Jim:

Thank you for reply. I have amphibs (right now) which require aft loading. But, the more info on batteries I get, the better. Always, looking to save a few pounds.

Appreciate the guidance, Bro!

Vty -- 8GCBC

What voltage are you setting your regulators at when using the Odyssey battery? They seem to have left that info out of my paperwork. Jim

B&C does set their reg's at 14.4, apparently the Oddyssey battery is happy at that voltage. Jim

Any one using the zeftronics GN1200n controller with the odyssey sbs 680 j-16 ...If so how can you do it safely when odyssey techs say the max voltage should not exceed 15 volts at the battery , yet the controllers voltage limiter is set at 16 volts ..I just removed the zeftronics unit because of having to reset the breaker after start up to get power .Went back to a Delco point type but it is putting out 15.25 volts at 2350 rpm with my 20AMP generator ...Called Enersys that makes the 680 and they said that's too much ..will damage the battery ...So what the "H" is the solution ....Maybe some solid state units are set at 15 volts max out ? Tweek the Delco unit back a bit,although I understand that is not east to do ...somewhat an art form .....Could go back to the 28 LB Gill but it sure flys better with the 680 back there ....much more of this and there soon may be l21B on the mkt ..Cheap !! RC

Back