Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting Starter Solenoid Upside Down

Post Thanks / Like

Mounting Starter Solenoid Upside Down

I don't think this subject has been covered in a previous thread or how well known this tidbit is: The starter solenoid/Relay should be mounted upside down.
    I am bringing this up because I recently got a PM from someone who saw my installation and asked why I mounted mine that way.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB270010.JPG 
Views:	938 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	4737
    The reason for mounting the relay upside down is to minimize the chances of the starter becoming inadvertently engaged in flight in turbulence -- or that rare bad landing. Mounting the relay upside down means that both gravity and the return spring are working in a favorable direction to keep the coil core from making electrical contact. Also in the event of a spring failure the core will not move toward the contacts when not purposely engaged.
    Here are a couple of links on this subject:
    http://www.vansairforce.com/communit...ad.php?t=43823
    http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1198141598001

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you. Got more than my worth from the $25 member ticket on this site for above post. Very clearly stated! With info (links) to back it up too.

Post Thanks / Like
    uummmmmm.... bs....

is this is like mounting your landing gear on top of your plane.. in case you put it upside down .....RARELY!????

Post Thanks / Like
    Darrel, have you run numbers on this? Mass of the plunger, spring constant and such? Not giving you a bad time, honest question.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)

Post Thanks / Like
    Haven't run any numbers but the logic is sound so why not follow the logic? Doesn't cost a dime.

Post Thanks / Like
    Darrel that solenoid has been in use on ford autos since the 1930's and ford mounted them the same way you propose in your photo here is photo of 1967 mustang under hood with the same type relay

Name:	4009664918_66d12feb59.jpg 
Views:	404 
Size:	125.1 KB 
ID:	4741

Post Thanks / Like
    Gee Chuck, say you posted and was wondering how you could stand you your head while starting
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Always knew those Ford Engineers knew a thing or two.

Post Thanks / Like
    George when you fly 65 hp tcraft you don't need a solenoid just a girl friend that will swing the prop to start it no 337 or stc required

Post Thanks / Like
    Piper mounted them horizontally on the battery shelf?

Post Thanks / Like
    The post is entertaining BUT,

As a FAA certified A&P I could not sign off the confirguration in (certified certificated) PART 43, 91, 135, or 121 inspection. I don't work on home builts (no money for rent) so I can't say in that situation.

I would not even submit 337, because after working with relays for over 40 years they all fail open.

Intersting read however! Keep the info comming I am learning...

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess piper did it wrong at the factory.

Post Thanks / Like
    All being said, that's a neat underseat installation. Would the soleniod fit as nicely the other way around? Seems to me, whatever benefit would come through easier wiring - shorter leads with no crossing, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    8BCBC, could you clarify your last post, not sure what you were referring to and what you were objecting to. ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Whoops, thought it was a home built alteration. It was really late last night. There SO many different "types" of aricraft on this on this site!

From Piper, good to go! Please forgive. I will RTFM next time.

Post Thanks / Like
    I should clarify my post,

I DON"T care which way its mounted, it has NO effect!!

that spring is plenty strong inside.

I mount them both ways in order to get the terminals where needed.....

(I now return you to your over engineering discussion..... I think that's called gold plating an idea....)

Post Thanks / Like
    During manufacturing go with the best orientation of the terminals. But, would not flip the solenoid "up side down" after reading this post (on my aircraft).

Thank you for politely clearing my brain out this morning.

Post Thanks / Like
    My brother had the starter engage in in his Pitts pulling less than +4g. Also seen it happen on a Marchetti 260 we maintain at the FBO I work for. Darrell, I think it's a good idea. Things get expensive real fast when the starter engages in flight.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Good empircal knowledge... Any solidstate relays available?

I don't want a generator and an alternator charging my little G-25.

Post Thanks / Like
    The reason for mounting the relay upside down is to minimize the chances of the starter becoming inadvertently engaged in flight in turbulence -- or that rare bad landing. Mounting the relay upside down means that both gravity and the return spring are working in a favorable direction to keep the coil core from making electrical contact. Also in the event of a spring failure the core will not move toward the contacts when not purposely engaged.
    Here are a couple of links on this subject:

Darrel if you worried about a hung starter, why not just add the Texas skyways indicator SA09470SC its got the PA-18 on the list.
    http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...3?OpenDocument

Post Thanks / Like
    I was going to mention the "Starter Engaged" indicator light also. B&C offers a diagram with their products I think much like the Texas Skyways one. I used the B&C diagram when wiring N18SY.
    The indicator light is most useful when the starter relay "hangs" on start up. Then you can just shut down as fast as possible and trouble shoot the problem. In that case, if you are quick, you probably can save the starter.
    The inadvertent starter engagement in flight is much more likely to cause damage to the flywheel and starter gear but might also overspeed the starter. In that case, the indicator light mearly tells you that something expensive just happened. Best to do everything possible to assure that the relay doesn't contact in flight. Mounting the solenoid/relay upside down just adds a little insurance and removes a potential failure mode.
    Being generally lazy, I probably would agree with 8GCBC, install the relay upside down on new build and maybe on an existing plane if it is a straight forward change.
    http://www.bandc.biz/pdfs/starter_on_light_dgm.pdf

Name:	IMG_2650.JPG 
Views:	314 
Size:	426.8 KB 
ID:	4750Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2650a.jpg 
Views:	218 
Size:	177.3 KB 
ID:	4751Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B&C Stuck Starter Light.png 
Views:	460 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	4749
    Last edited by Darrel Starr; 12-24-2011 at 10:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    The panel is CHERRY DUDE! Nice! And thanks for the rarely discussed dreaded start syndrome. It opened my eyes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Darrel, I'm using the B and C starter. I have gotten myself confused reading the post on various part numbers for the solenoids. BC offers some. What did use use?

Post Thanks / Like
    Glidertow, I think I bought my solenoids from Aircraft Spruce. I'll try to verify that but I'm sure I didn't buy them from B&C.

Post Thanks / Like

Name:	SMITHCUBPetes041.jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	115.4 KB 
ID:	9622That little green LED next to the mag switch is wired like the B&C drawing above. It lights up any time that there is electricity available to the starter. That doesn't mean the starter is engaged, only that it has power available. The starter could be bad. This is only an electricity annunciation. After having starter solenoids stick engaged, I started installing these lights in any plane that I own. Once when starting my 185 to taxi from the dock to a mooring I noticed that the ammeter was pegged full charge. I thought that was strange. When I pulled the mixture at the mooring, the starter was still turning the engine. The only clue, which had not dawned on me, was the ammeter.
    Last edited by skywagon8a; 12-21-2012 at 01:00 PM.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Glidertow, I also have a B&C starter (BC315-100-2) as well as their 40 amp alternator and solid state voltage regulator.
    The starter relay (solenoid) and master relay came from Aircraft Spruce in 2004. At that time, the starter relay part number was 22735, now it is 11-03162.
    The master relay also in 2004 was part number 111-226 but now is 11-03161.
    Pictures below:

Name:	Starter Solenoid.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	9623

Name:	Master Relay.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	9624

Post Thanks / Like
    One solution is to use a Vertical Power VPX and it will not let the starter engage while the engine is running. Also can sense the alternator output to drop out the starter sol if the alternator is outputting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Roger, never heard of the VP-X until you mentioned it. Just looked at their web site. That one little box does just about everything including starter disabling. The $1200 to $1800 price tag is a little shocking but not if you are protecting $20K+ avionics I guess.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are putting much electrical in your panel, it can come out about a wash. I have one in the new one I am building and it is really nice. No breakers and you don't have to have any switches if you don't want them. Great diagnostics and you get a complete layout on your Skyview or whatever system you are using. It has really been fun working with it and playing with the future in wiring a plane, car or whatever. No shunts needed and full readout of the current used by any device or the total for the plane.

Post Thanks / Like
    When you add up the circuit breakers, voltage regulator, etc, I can see how the $ would work out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mounting under seat batt. solenoids this morning.
    Better cable arrangement mounted upside down. got me thinking "is there a correct orientation"?
    quick Google search - low and behold! - Super Cub.org is the first hit "mounting solenoids upside down"
    what more could I ask for!!....

Read through the thread, enjoyed all the bashing and banter, however, I'm still left wondering - what's the preferred solenoid orientation?....

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliver View Post
    ..however, I'm still left wondering - what's the preferred solenoid orientation?....

Thanks
    mount it anyway you need it to be, for the posts to be where you need them...

(just re read this thread, lost of CRAP in it!!!!!!!) geesh!!!
    Last edited by mike mcs repair; 07-13-2014 at 05:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Ignorance is bliss. Do as you please. Mounting the solenoid correctly is free insurance. What is controversial about that? Who knows the minds of others???

Post Thanks / Like
    Darrel, very prophetic reply.
    so... does that mean you are still advocating upside down?Or just further adding to the confusion of this thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I will print this thread out on soft paper and use it in the bathroom......

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad had the starter engage is rough air when he was spraying a field( I think he was dropping granules with the spreader for corn bores). It was in 1971 and the plane was an Aero Commander Quail with an GO-480 Lycoming. When he saw the smoke he landed in an oat field. Had to mow down some oats to make a runway for takeoff after the fix.
    Last edited by 180Marty; 07-14-2014 at 07:56 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still advocating installing the relay upside down as cheap (no cost) insurance. Inadvertent starter engagement does happen as several people have written about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Darrel Starr View Post

Name:	PB270010.JPG 
Views:	938 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	4737
    So Darrel, are these relays upside down or are the labels incorrectly installed on the relays?
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    ....here we go again...

Thanks,
    there going in right side up - if viewed while standing on your head that is. Of corse then my flap handle appears to be on the roof, like a carbon cub, which, i think, is kind of cool...
    Last edited by Oliver; 07-14-2014 at 11:33 AM.