Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Worldmilitair.com

Post Thanks / Like

Worldmilitair.com

Received the build sheet on my plane from Cub Doctor. Sheet indicated my L21 left Piper with military registration 51-15780. Did a search and found this site listing the military registration number to the serial number. I hadn't seen this listed here before. Old info?

http://www.worldmilitair.com/production/piper018.htm

Post Thanks / Like
    I question the accuracy of the data on this site. There is a specific aircraft that I have been interested in, and as part of my research I spent the modest fee to obtain FAA records on CD, which indicate that the aircraft was sold new to the US Army and subsequently owned by several different Army sites. However this site shows it was sold to US Air Force. ???

Post Thanks / Like
    Army had the airforce durring wwII, forget when it became it's own branch.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Army had the airforce durring wwII, forget when it became it's own branch.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    Army air corps became a separate service when the the United States Air force was formed in 1947. Bill

Post Thanks / Like

worldmilitair.com

Being a curious sort , I looked over the serial number list from this site ..I was told by an Air Force representative years ago when rebuilding my L21 that the Air Force only took delivery of one L21B serial number but that aircraft was never delivered to them .Looking down the list I found my A/C listed ...Serial no.18-3523 [ Piper number ] and military no. 54-2323 . My airplane was built for the Italian service as were many others and delivered shortly after production . Apparently these airplanes passed thru the Air force somehow , being listed as delivered to them but were not . I'm just guessing but this may be a cause for some confusion about the Air Force ever flying the B model . Just some random thoughts ........... RC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stevensonjr View Post
    Army air corps became a separate service when the the United States Air force was formed in 1947. Bill
    The Army Air Corp was an arm of the Army Air Force until Sept 1947 when the USAF 'created'. At that point, the Air Corp was no more. You can google the Air Force Historical Studies Office and read the entire history.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RCharles View Post
    Being a curious sort , I looked over the serial number list from this site ..I was told by an Air Force representative years ago when rebuilding my L21 that the Air Force only took delivery of one L21B serial number but that aircraft was never delivered to them .Looking down the list I found my A/C listed ...Serial no.18-3523 [ Piper number ] and military no. 54-2323 . My airplane was built for the Italian service as were many others and delivered shortly after production . Apparently these airplanes passed thru the Air force somehow , being listed as delivered to them but were not . I'm just guessing but this may be a cause for some confusion about the Air Force ever flying the B model . Just some random thoughts ........... RC
    Did you know the military registration number prior to this website? If so, was it a match? I didn't and found it interesting and helpful in piecing together the first few years of my airplane.

Post Thanks / Like

serial numbers

Brittle, Yes I did as I have the original Italian logbooks where the plane was put in service in Italy in 1954 .What was curious to me was that the AF had the numbers at all ? It was built with Italian writing stamped into the interior . I guess the AF handled these A/C somehow for Piper through the Lend Lease program when ordered by the different countries RC

Post Thanks / Like
    The lend lease program scenario sounds plausible. Wish I had the original books on my plane, that's the source for my "research". Where's your plane based?

Post Thanks / Like
    Beginning in 1950, PA-18's in several variations were supplied to the US Army and US Air Force for transfer to other contries under tha MDAP (Mutual Defense Aid Pact). These went to (among other countries) The Netherlands, France, Germany, Italy, Turkey and Greece.

Here is another site to look up military s/n's: http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_serials/usafserials.html

John Scott

Post Thanks / Like
    My plane , N9842Q , is a 1954 L21B and is based in Villa Rica . 20GA ,Stockmar field. Was your plane purchased in Atlanta ? If it was and you can tell me who from I believe I can give you some history about it's civilian ownership if that helps . Feel free to give me a call at 770-365-3815 ......RC