Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mogas or Avgas?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had one landing last year at 9200', and had a pretty good pop/ backfire when I shutdown. A half hour later I fired it (Rotax) back up and all was normal so I gave it no further thought. I had E-10 that day, other landings at similar heights on pure gas, no backfire. No big deal, didn't seem to hurt anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bob turner View Post
    U - if this 95 mogas does not stop your Mercedes, what in it would stop an aircraft? Yes - leave it sit for a month or so, and you will have problems. Operate it like your car, and you will have the same fuel issues as you do with your car - usually none.

Bob, remember the song. " it never rains in southern California "

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 180Marty View Post
    Maybe 20 years ago. I'm in three different ethanol plants and I think they are around 22,000 BTU's per 76,000 btu gallon of ethanol. Then they send 33% of the bushel of corn that came into the plant back out as a higher quality processed feed for livestock. Here is a newsletter from a plant that I'm not in but this one just switched from coal fired to natural and is also hooked up with DuPont to make cellulosic ethanol. Click on the winter newsletter for some interesting reading. Things just keep getting more efficient. One plant I'm in is just installing corn grinders that are used in the dogfood industry because they make the particles a more uniform size and even that is a big deal----the list goes on and on.

http://www.lincolnwayenergy.com/newsletter.htm
    Thats because all the ethanol refineries are 100% subsidized

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats because all the ethanol refineries are 100% subsidized
    The only thing that could be construed as a subsidy is the Renewable Fuel Standard, saying to the oil companies "you will use X amount of biofuel per year". Lots of talk of doing away with that. NO SUBSIDY MONEY. But, oil companies LOVE making 84 octane gas. One of the ethanol plant guys told me that he thinks what oil companies really want is to own the ethanol plant too so they can get back to monopoly status. With the RFS, nobody said it had to be used as E10, it could be used as E30 or E85 and there wouldn't be enough ethanol to blend into the nation's gasoline----there'd be E0 everywhere. I've been using E30 to E50 in unmodified vehicles since 2001, vehicles as old as 1992 with no problems but officially that doesn't work. I've done some "firsts" with farming too and have heard, you can make it work but I know it wouldn't work for me.

PS Glen, how many vents on the fuel system on you plane?????
    Last edited by 180Marty; 02-04-2015 at 11:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 180Marty View Post

PS Glen, how many vents on the fuel system on you plane?????
    Marty it's the same plane we PMed about a few years ago. Only one vent in the cap, I know last time you told me to seal the vent when it's parked. That would take care of it when parked. But if you have looked at some of my pictures you know most of the time I'm not flying over that nice flat corn ground like you have in Iowa. And I also fly in the same terrain north of me when it's raining cats and dogs and 1400rpm ain't going to get me home. I'm still helping your corn fuel investment though, burn the ethanol gas just treat it first with Startron. I want my BTUs to be as waterproof as possible

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to limit the thread creep: there is an boundless thread on the relative merits of ethanol and its subsidies here: What About Ethanol?
    Last edited by sjohnson; 02-05-2015 at 09:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Limit the thread creeps? I resemble that remark.

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotta ask this question, by changing out the fuel line out to teflon down at gascolator, that solves that problem
    But on most of airplanes we are flying, what about the rubber lines where we come off the fuel
    Tanks, seems like unless you changed them as well , same thing will happen to them?

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.eaglefuelcells.com/ga/new_faa.html

Once installed, the cell is externally durable, internally impermeable, resistant to ozone damage and shrinkage and is compatible with all aviation and pump gas fuels, oils, and most corrosive fluids.
    I don't know about others, but my Cessna doesn't have any rubber lines between the bladders and the gascolator. I think Eagle uses nitrile rubber for their bladders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboBeaver View Post
    Gotta ask this question, by changing out the fuel line out to teflon down at gascolator, that solves that problem
    But on most of airplanes we are flying, what about the rubber lines where we come off the fuel
    Tanks, seems like unless you changed them as well , same thing will happen to them?
    Gascolator is the worst one, most have a twist and a bend begging to collapse. Most of the other ones are just to join 2 tubes together.

Glenn